CONYERS -- Magic will be in the air in more ways than one for the annual Father/Daughter Ball next month.
The ball is held each year to celebrate the special bond between fathers and daughters and is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Rockdale County. The theme for this year's ball is "A Magical Night" and it will be held from to 9 p.m. Feb. 6 at Rockdale Career Academy. Entertainment will be provided by magician Joe M. Turner, a performer of illusions of the eye and the mind.
Proceeds will benefit the Conyers/Rockdale Empty Stocking Fund and other community programs by the Rotary Club.
Gary Bridgewater of the Rotary Club said this is the first year entertainment will be provided. The annual event was created to give fathers a chance to spend a quality evening with their daughters.
"We will have dinner and a short magic show and dancing," Bridgewater said. "It remains a ball, but this year with just a little bit of entertainment."
The dinner and dance has grown each year in scope and attendance. Last year, the dance theme was "Hollywood Nights," with all the trappings of a Hollywood movie premiere party, complete with red carpet and paparazzi photographers.
The dance has become more popular in the two previous years with fathers and grandfathers enjoying an evening out with their daughters and granddaughters. The age range of daughters at previous dances runs from 6 months to 40 years of age, Bridgewater said.
"We've had someone bring their 3-year-old to the dance once, and last year someone brought their 38-year-old daughter to the ball," he said. "It typically runs from grade school through early college."
Dinner will be prepared by RCA Culinary School students which Bridgewater called "five-star caliber eating."
"They do a great job with dinner," he said. "When you consider the dinner, dancing and entertainment for $70, it's a heck of a deal."
Tickets will be sold through Feb. 3, however, to have your daughter's name included on the back of a souvenir T-shirt, registration and payment is due Friday.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com. Tickets can also be purchased at one of the locations below:
* The Rockdale Citizen, 969 S. Main St.
* Honey Creek Vet Hospital, 1026 Honey Creek Road
* Scot Ward Funeral Services, 1299 Milstead Ave.
* Seven Gables Restaurant, 1897 Ga. Highway 20 S.E.
* Edward Jones/Tim Baker Office, 2135 Eastview Parkway, Suite 200
* Premier Platforms Office, 1469 Dogwood Drive
* United Community Bank, 1000 Ga. Highway 138 S.W.
* Hendrick and Dodson Family Dentistry, 1807 Overlake Dr.
* Fortin Chiropractic Clinic, 1003 E. Freeway Drive
* Dr. Juan Arrue, Dentist, 1317 Milstead Ave.
* Conyers Pharmacy, 1179 West Ave.
* Any member of the Rotary Club of Rockdale County