Wednesday, August 3, 2011
© Copyright 2013
Staff Photo: Jay Jones. Rockdale County firefighters use a ladder truck Tuesday to reach the roof of Salem High School during a fire call. Smoke from an AC unit filled two classrooms.
CONYERS -- Salem High School was evacuated for about 20 minutes late Tuesday morning after smoke was spotted coming from an air conditioning unit.
Just before noon, the Rockdale County Fire Department and the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office responded to the school.
"The school evacuated due to smoke in two second-floor classrooms," said Cindy Ball, director of Community Relations at Rockdale County Public Schools.
She said there was never any fire.
Upon further investigation, the Fire Department and the school system's maintenance department determined that the smoke was caused from a faulty fan motor, Ball said. The part will have to be replaced, but she did not yet know the cost of the part.
Shortly after noon, students were moved back into the building except for the two classrooms affected by the smoke.
In March, Pine Street Elementary School was evacuated after a fan in its AC unit malfunctioned and poured smoke into the cafeteria.