Newton High School teacher charged with DUI, possession of cocaine

COVINGTON -- The Rockdale County Sheriff's Office arrested a Newton High School teacher Saturday night around 9:45 and charged her with DUI, possession of cocaine, failure to maintain lane and open container.

Kathern Laura Green, 36, of Oxford, was stopped after a deputy observed the 1998 Ford Explorer she was driving on Milstead Avenue traveling at a high rate of speed, at one point clocking the vehicle at 59 mph in the 45 mph zone, according to an RCSO incident report.

The report also states that the deputy saw the vehicle veer off the roadway onto the shoulder after it turned onto Ga. Highway 138. As the car turned onto Centennial Olympic Parkway, the deputy made a traffic stop near the Keswick Village apartment complex.

"When speaking with Mrs. Green I noticed a moderate odor of an alcoholic beverage, her eyes were glassy and her speech was slurred," the report states. "She uttered that it's not like I'm drunk or anything," and when asked if she'd had anything to drink she replied, "No, not really."

The incident report indicates that a field sobriety test was stopped due to Green telling the deputy of various medical problems she had concerning her hips, leg, ankles and back. A manual reading of a portable Blood Alcohol Sensor showed her blood alcohol level to be .143 and she was arrested.

When the deputy retrieved Mrs. Green's purse from her vehicle before it was impounded, he noticed a cup with "what appeared to be red wine" in the center console of the vehicle. In searching her purse, the deputy also found "a small clear plastic bag tied in a knot ... Inside the clear plastic bag was a white powdery substance suspected to be powdered cocaine ... The substance was field tested and tested positive for crack/cocaine."

The report states that the weight of the cocaine was just over 2 grams.

Green was released from the jail after three days.

Sherri Davis-Viniard, director of Public Relations at the Newton County School System, confirmed Thursday that Green is a language arts teacher who has been employed with NCSS since 2006.

"We've just been informed of this situation today and an investigation is ongoing," she said Thursday.

Staff Reporter Michelle Floyd contributed to this report.

Comments

heresyafacts 2 years, 3 months ago

If I was a high school teacher in Georgia, esp in this area, I'd probably be self-medicating, too. I'm glad she was stopped before anyone was harmed. I hope she gets the help she needs to get her life back on the right track. Btw, if 59 in a 45 is a high-rate of speed, Rockdale has some of the speediest drivers in the metro; driving access roads or 138 toward Walton is like NASCAR tryouts most days.

Frizzlefry 2 years, 3 months ago

omg! those high rates of speed! Seriously people, it's not worth driving under the influence in Rockdale/Newton. That's where the money is and that's what they are going after. Kinda like drag racing your Honda Accord down 138 at 3am on the weekend. Don't be "that" guy, or girl in this case.

socksgirl22 2 years, 3 months ago

She was a good teacher my son was in her class and she was always professional and my son thought highly of her! Shame on people for judging someone when you dont know them. I only hope she gets help now for her addictions!

Christopher 2 years, 3 months ago

Good, since she was so good at teaching and your son respected her maybe you can contribute to her legal fund. Shame on us? Shame on her, she could have killed somebody. I wonder if you understand how foolish you sound taking up for a teacher that speeds while drunk and high on cocaine. Furthermore what does your son respecting her have to do with anything?

maryinga 2 years, 3 months ago

I am glad that she got stopped. I don't know who this teacher is, altho, isn't this setting a bad example for students? And all the other bad teacher "stuff" going on.
I remember I looked up to my teachers, and my kids did too. Oh wait, that was back when they had respect from the students. I wish her well and hope she gets help.

Freedom1 2 years, 3 months ago

uhhhh, aren't teachers drug tested? I hate to see the increased number of arrests and stories about personal issues of teachers on the rise, but then, as the conditions decline in our schools, we're going to lose more and more of the professional teachers that we so desperately need. We should be thankful for those that stay. But surely there are safe-guards in place, such as safe-guards, and supervision that would identify potential problems before they hit the papers. It's interesting that we hear so much puff and fluff about the board of education and the administration, and so much bad about teachers.

WayBack 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure about being drug tested. I think it would be interesting to see random drug testing among faculty/staff of schools. Teaching is a sacred trust.I think it's completely appropriate to expect your teachers to live honorably.