Man apparently shoots self after fleeing from deputy

CONYERS -- A man who fled from a Rockdale County Sheriff's Office deputy Thursday morning, overturned his vehicle on Farmer Road and ran on foot apparently killed himself with a single gunshot.

According to a statement released by the Sheriff's Office Thursday afternoon, a deputy was serving a search warrant on a business on General Arts Road Thursday morning when he noticed a suspicious vehicle. When the deputy turned around his patrol car to observe the other vehicle, "the driver left at a high rate of speed, overturning on Farmer Road near Rockbridge Road."

According to the statement, the deputy rounded a bend in the road in time to see the driver crawl out of the vehicle and run behind a house.

"The deputy heard a shot and discovered the suspect on the ground," according to the statement.

The suspect was transported to Rockdale Medical Center with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was later pronounced dead.

Sheriff Jeff Wigington has asked the GBI to conduct an independent investigation of the incident, and the Georgia State Patrol to investigate the crash.

More details about the incident and the suspect's identity were not immediately available.

Comments

cdunn001 2 years ago

i dont get it ...why would he shot himself after he turned over his car..he crawl out to kill himself ..this makes no sense...was he shot by the police because he was running or what..because he fled turned over the car crawled out and ran behind a house a killed himself was any one home.. come on rockdale give us more

superman 2 years ago

Why would you accuse a deputy of killing him? I agree with everyone else that he apparently had something to hide or was mentally unstable. Do you really think that our deputies go around killing people? It is not a pleasurable experience for a deputy to shoot someone- they are consumed with guilt. A deputy will only fire their gun as a last resort.

tsc722 2 years ago

Superman! Lets not forget about the KATHERINE JOHNSON CASE in atlanta when the cops tried to cover up the shoot when they killed her. They are in jail right now. It took a while but justice was served and those cops got what they are deserve.

Southside 2 years ago

Ktherine Johnson doesn't live in Rockdale.

concerned123 2 years ago

Superman, what a stupid question, sure they do and get away with the coverup. However, there are a few good officers you can double count on your finger and toes who are pretty honest.

cdunn001 2 years ago

superman you dont read much ...remember in dekalb cops killed the sheriff and so what...and that was a first reaction not in stone ...he probable accicently shot himself..but they are men also..

Takeastepback 2 years ago

You wanted more... You got it. Now the family has to deal with the dirty laundry that has been written for all the world to see. What a shame. You are so ignorant. The minute you put on a badge or have a loved one to put on a badge and spend their days protecting your family and risking their lives you feel free to place judgement on law enforcement. You wanted more details, well you have them. Now the family and children of this man have to deal with everyone knowing the details of the wrong doings he was involved in. God bless the deputies that protect and serve the people for no respect and NO money. The deputies of rockdale county have my prayers. Thank God none of them or the other citizens of Rockdale were hurt in this senselessness!

will 2 years ago

maybe this drug dealer should have thought about his family before dealing drugs.

cdunn001 2 years ago

takeastepback...that is good and you sound like a real upright citizen..but i know people that were killed by a cop...and not saying we dont respect them and what they do but reality is some of them dont respect the badge they wear..they are humans also ...but the bottom line is done say a man killed himself with out leaving it open that he could have accidently shot himself running...becasue you said one truth his family and kids if any have to leave with this for the rest of their lives...so i new him and i feel strongly in my heart it was an accidently shooting after getting more ..maybe the cop did not ...but his pel did not intentionally kill himself..so no more and speak less.

maryinga 2 years ago

Strange....Sounds like he was wanted for something, or did something bad and knew he was busted......update later?!

concerned123 2 years ago

did that warrant self inflected death?

the_shadow 2 years ago

You have got to love stupid criminals!

concerned123 2 years ago

May be they got tired, you think?

TruthHurts 2 years ago

The same way you have to love stupid idiots who think suicide is a crime and not a sign of a mental disorder. You'll probably be first in line this weekend to get your dime sack of kush from these "criminals". I guess when you too suffer from mental retardation a comment such as this is to be expected. Get well soon!

conyerac 2 years ago

apparently he had something to hide.....

will 2 years ago

He sure did 50#s of pot and eight grand of drug money.

Sundance 2 years ago

Maybe it was gun safety 101. Was he running with the muzzle pointed down, finger off the trigger? Or was he running with his finger on the trigger and tripped? The update should be interesting. Just remember to teach your kids to never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. This is real life not the movies.

cdunn001 2 years ago

its not funny ...if he tripped he would have not shot directly in head..why say shoots himself with out any other details ...only to people present deputy and male...i know this guy he is not the type to kill himself

Frustrated 2 years ago

Where in the article does it say he shot himself in the head? Why not wait until more information comes out before making baseless accusations?

concerned123 2 years ago

Good question, should we be looking at this as a possible homo - side?

Sundance 2 years ago

I never said it was funny nimrod.

MLS 2 years ago

Not the type to kill himself, just the type to be a drug dealer, what an upstanding citizen we lost.

TruthHurts 2 years ago

And what type of skeletons do you have in your one bedroom closet? When was the last time you helped a poor family with your clean money Mr.UpstandingCitizen? Unless you have/do don't judge someone who was known to help many needy families in and out of his community and provided for his family as well. Worry about the meth labs and cocaine killing your trailer park friends instead. Marijuana will be legalized soon. Then what will your argument be.#i'llwait

Lorenzo 2 years ago

But he was apparently the type to run from the police with a loaded gun in his hand. Sounds like a stand-up citizen to me. Law abiding citizens have no need to run from the police. Law abiding citizens carry guns in holsters and not in their hands, with their finger on the trigger, while committing a crime.

will 2 years ago

By the way if he tripped he could have shot himself or someone else anywhere including directly in the head. It sounds like you did not know him very well. Your right its not funny this drug dealer left a family with many questions.

Elmo 2 years ago

The headline should have been, "CRIMINAL SAVES TAXPAYER COSTS OF TRIAL...DEFENSE LAWYERS HARDEST HIT".

bulldoggie 2 years ago

gee Elmo thats a little harsh. Maybe he had a mental problem -lost his job-wife left him and took the kids - lets wait for the facts before we rejoice.

concerned123 2 years ago

Did you want another person unemployed - be reasonable, everybody has to make a living doing something. Since you apparently don't have a law degree you feel that everyone should not work.

CadyJackson 2 years ago

Since when is drug trafficking a fine, upstanding profession?

Keisha 2 years ago

This is an extremely unfortunate event regardless of the circumstances. The individual involved has a family and many friends residing in Rockdale County. It would be nice for this community to not pass judgement and respect the family during this difficult time. I am sure they have many questions regarding this incident and the mean spirited posts will not help them to achieve the peace needed in the midst of their storm.

concerned123 2 years ago

I continue to be amazed at the things that people have the courage to say anonymously and also in ingorance. It's obvious that no one that has commented knows the facts, but feel obligated for some reason to leave a accusatory messages..why??!? In typical Covington/Conyers fashion, people like to judge and speak about things of which they have no real knowledge of. Why not just be quiet and pray. He has family..chilidren, just like other people. Please show some respect.

Keisha 2 years ago

Thank you for your reply. The anonymous posts in this paper never cease to amaze me. It really shows how racially divided Conyers remains. From politics, churches / communities and even crime. We all love our city or wouldn't remain here but I would love to see a community that truly come together in the midst of a roaring storm instead of continuing to separate.

Southside 2 years ago

Where in this article was race mentioned? The racist here would be you. Sorry about your friend, but get over yourself & race

Keisha 2 years ago

Racially divided comes from the stereotypical comments that are continuously publlished daily i.e. the ghetto, the new South Dekalb etc. Let's face it, the majority of people have a problem with the elected officials of this county and nation due to race and not the actual leadership. It is what it is !!!!

Southside 2 years ago

And that relates to this article how? Again I say you are the racist. I'm sorry the man shot himself, but it has nothing to do with racism. The election was not mentioned in the article. South DeKalb was not mentioned in this areicle. The president or commissioners was not mentioned inthis article. The article said a man with a car apparently shot himself. To quote you, "It is what it is".

Keisha 2 years ago

Perhaps you haven't experienced it or you are oblivious to the state of the community. The article is related to someone who is deceased. However, the comments that are posted with no respect to others in this community are extremely troublesome. In my posts, I made mention of numerous recent posts that obviously are attributed to race relations in this area. All I am saying is Let's look past the obvious and dig into the real issue. I certainly would be the last to be a racist especially considering I have experienced it. Good day to you.

Lorenzo 2 years ago

Gotta agree with Southside. The only one bringing up race and other issues is you Keisha. Maybe time for a look in the mirror before you start pointing out faults in others.

concerned123 2 years ago

It's hard loosing a loved one, and I pray that all of you will be exempt from the experience (while we all know that death is the one sure thing in life). Loving your family member(s) when they are alive, establishes a protective barrier. So, when you lose a loved one to a tragic death, being exposed to negative remarks on top of the pain one is already experiencing does not help. To that end, be respectful please. Regardless of your beliefs, ethnicity or sentiment for the deceased.

Thank you the Aunt.

cusofme 2 years ago

It's amazing that people are bold enough to make such hateful comments. Some of you are making it seem as though you are better than anyone else and the remarks that you just made have proven that you aren't. You think you can say whatever you want behind a computer screen because you are anonymous. This man has family and friends and your insensitive comments have no place here.

ClaytonBigsby 2 years ago

The law abiding, responsible citizens of this county can't be expected to be thrilled about these sort of hijinks. What if this criminal had hit another car as he fled from the deputies? Innocent lives are put at risk when someone acts like a fool on the road, and it matters not what color the driver is. Naturally, a poster above just HAD to drag race into this, even though I didn't notice anything in the article about the race of this scofflaw. The racial divide, such that it is, exists in part because folks like the above poster are always so quick to inject race into a story where it has no relevance. A reckless, fleeing criminal is just as dangerous no matter the color of his skin.

Keisha 2 years ago

I agree....race "should not" be a factor but it is. Let's face the facts. Although, I am not justifying any actions on behalf of the individual, I am stating facts. I read alot of the posts daily and race relations continue to be an ongoing issue in Rockdale County. It may not be specifically stated but people can read between the lines. We dig up dirt, air dirty laundry etc. to make others appear bad and it shouldn't be the case regardless of whether you are the majority or minority. I went to school with Rockdale County and can speak from past experiences....simply saying. It is what it is and I will continue to hope for things to get better.

Sundance 2 years ago

This article does not mention the man's race. I assumed it was white because that area is out in the more rural part of the county on Farmer road. You need to know that you are the first person to mention race in this discussion. It is dangerous reading between the lines if you approach it from an accusatory point of view when you dont know who the posters are. Please take a break and wait for someone to be racist before you accuse them. There are definitely some racist comments in this paper but I havent seen any in this discussion. Chill out for a minute.

Southside 2 years ago

But she went to school with Rockdale County

Keisha 2 years ago

Yes, I certainly did attend school in Rockdale County and I am extremely proud of that fact. The school equipped me and many others to lead a successful and productive life in Rockdale County.

bulldoggie 2 years ago

that part of farmer rd is not rural well maybe by marthars vineyard standards

covington300 2 years ago

What bothers me the most about Conyers isn't who has moved in or away but the white trash that has stayed...don't be a coward and hide behind a name on a website - post all your info and then take shots at someone. This is someone I've known since elementary school - prayers and thoughts for his family and the white trash that hides cowardly here and lives in conyers.

Frustrated 2 years ago

trash comes in many colors..not just white

ClaytonBigsby 2 years ago

"White trash..." My, oh my. I hope none of this "trash" is carrying a chip on their shoulder(s); they might just be offended by such a hateful epithet. Somehow though, I doubt it. Sorry to tell you, but I grew up here and I'm not leaving.

Southside 2 years ago

I just checked the tax records & nobody by the name of covington300 listed. Must be a coward on a website

will 1 year, 12 months ago

I just checked the tax records and nobody by the name southside is listed. Must be another cowardon a website.

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 12 months ago

Bet you thought that was clever, "Will". Try again. "Southside" isn't exhorting others to use their real names or calling names (i.e. "coward). "Covington300" probably developed that moniker by looking out at his/her Chrysler 300, lol.

will 1 year, 12 months ago

Let me write slower ClaytonBigsby maybe you rode the short bus to school. Southside is saying a person is a coward if he does not use his or her real name while commenting on a website. Sometimes you have to read between the lines to understand the meaning of what is being said. Its not all in black and white, oh my know some foolish welfare sucker will call me a racist for using the B word. ClaytonBigsby I will never be as clever as you, I am not worthy.

Southside 1 year, 12 months ago

I rent you won't find me on any tax records. I wish my mamma & daddy had named me will, but that one was already taken. By the way, it was Covington300 that called you a coward--not me

will 1 year, 12 months ago

Southside my sincere apology to you, I must have just got of the short bus myself. I should have looked alittle higher on the comment list to see what the boy said to begin with. ClaytonBigsby I was wrong about you also and im sorry. Now on to Covington300, you seem to be a coward on a website unless your parents could not think of a name thats normal but whats normal anymore. Southside and ClaytonBigsby I stand corrected.

Southside 1 year, 12 months ago

No offense taken. This is just a webite & I try to not take anything personal. I do think you hurt Clayton's feelings, though.

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 12 months ago

Nah. my feelings aren't hurt a bit. No problem, Will. Like Southside said, this is just a website. You are exactly right about "Covington300", from whom the silence is deafening, lol.

tsc722 2 years ago

I usually don't reply to post, but i really had to with this. We know that there are many unanswered questions and lets not think all cops are good cops. Some of them go to jail for dump stuff all the time. just watch the news!! The reason he ran WE DON'T KNOW!! Stop making assumptions. He does have a family just like you!!!!!

sabreen2012 2 years ago

Wow it's amazing how harsh people can be. Bottom line a mother lost her son and his three kids lost their dad. Those who knew him and loved him know he would not shoot himself.

whyohwhy 2 years ago

"GBI agents recovered approximately 50 pounds of marijuana from Heard’s vehicle and $8,000 in cash, according to a press release issued by GBI Spokesman John Bankhead Friday afternoon."

Sounds like a swell guy!

WayBack 2 years ago

I think the thing that bothers a lot of folks is the fact that the man acted in an incredibly suspicious way-- I've been pulled over before and it has never occurred to me to slam down the gas and try to get away. Because I had nothing to hide. And I certainly didn't have a gun in my hand. So, while it's definitely sad that a person lost his life before he got a chance to get his life on the right track, I can understand where the negative commenters are coming from: our community is exhausted by the influx of criminal activity. We are tired to death of people who are running from the police. We are sick of worrying about our homes when we're at work or our children while they're at school. I've lived in this town my whole life-- for over 47 years-- and I miss how peaceful it used to be, how it was nothing to leave our doors unlocked during the day and our windows open at night in the summer, fall, and spring. I'm not glad that this man is dead, but I'm having a hard time not responding with a bit of sarcasm. He was running from police. He hid behind someone's house. Does an innocent man do that? What if that was my house? What if my child had been at home that day? What if I had been in my yard, watering my garden? I'm sorry that it's too late for him, but sometimes, in this war against crime...that's just one less guy with a gun running from the police, potentially putting my life and the life of my family in danger ... I'm sorry...

Keisha 2 years ago

Wayback - Like you, I was born and raised in this area as was the victim. Unfortunately, we do not all make the best decisions in life. I applaud for at least being honest about your feelings for this community. I believe the majority of individuals miss the days of old when you could sleep with your doors open (and not just unlocked). But that is simply not the case right now. Rebuilding this community will take the masses and not just a simple few. We must all ban together for what is right and stop judging others. I do believe however we have had a problem with racial division for a very long time and unfortunately it does still exist. We must solve this problem in a hurry in order to save future generations. I clearly understand the appearance of things however these people do not know the individual. Although the appearance would be just another criminal, for those who knew him he was a very kind hearted person. Everyone who has posted negative comments should read what people from around the would has said about this person. Again, thank you for your honest posts.

will 2 years ago

He was a drug dealer who ran from the police with a loaded gun, that is not what good people do. 50#s of pot that is not small time.

AJK 2 years ago

And the follow-up:

GBI: Man who fled deputy killed himself

My condolences to the Heard family and friends. Not only are they having to deal with the death of a loved one, but I'm certain they're learning some rather unpleasant things they didn't know about their loved one at the same time.

Zo 2 years ago

Please post: We hv a Man dead in our community, his children live here, &parent(s) living right here & a community grieving his loss. Only God can judge us & that's who's with.

The Rockdale Citizen, the way u censor me when I speak on Wigington, Levett, & the virtual hood community. Show some class & respect for one of our own, by censoring these comments regarding this Man in a negative way. Vp, clay,emo, let's be respectful. I'm requesting all disrepectful post be removed.

Please post

wavace 2 years ago

Then most of your posts from other articles would be removed......

will 2 years ago

you show some class Richard, he was a drug dealer running from the police with a loaded gun. In my community that is not a good person.

concerned123 1 year, 12 months ago

Those of you who are perfect, shows your ignorance, by being disrespectful to anyone who suffers any kind of loss - be it death, disaster or famine. Your "g"od, does not allow your guardian to guide your tongue/thoughts, so it is people like you who are dangerous, capable of doing and saying anything. We know that we are all (accept you) weak in some way or another, but we don't hate. We PRAY and we will be praying for you even though you cast a lot of stones and appears to be perfect.

VPublicola 1 year, 12 months ago

Zo,

Re-read ALL the posts in this thread. You called me out; yet, until this response in response to your implied disrespect of calling me out regarding responses to this discussion, I have, in fact, not posted in this thread.

By the way, I do not wear a hood or hoodie. ;o)

citizencane 1 year, 11 months ago

Zo,Vp,Clay,Elmo,Southside and the regulars..

If you guys ever have lunch together,which would make the paper, invite me. You guys make this site!

Lorenzo 2 years ago

Wow, lets make the person breaking the law the victim. Condolences?? Respect?? Harsh?? A man runs from the police while carrying a gun into an area where families live and work and we want to feel sorry for him? Some of us would also like to confuse the main point of this article by dropping the race card. I looked carefully....no race mentioned. When we assume we make an........you know the rest.

Swift101 2 years ago

Regardless of what he was doing wrong he's still a human being and he's still a child of God. in the bible it speaks of judging others, so the fact that you are sitting here judging him says alot about you. None of us are perfect we have all sinned and fallen short the Glory. So please keep that in mind before you decide to judge someone else. To the family my prayers go out to you during your time of need, and to those that chose to judge him or speak negative about him My prayers go out to you to.

PleaseStop 2 years ago

Please show some respect for this man's family during this time of bereavement!!!!

My deepest sympathy and condolences go out to his family. This man has a family that loved him dearly regardless of his faults - the same way you love your family members regardless of their faults.

We have all sinned and fallen short of Gods glory! We were ALL born into SIN. The God I serve doesn't rate SIN, SIN is SIN!! Please stop passing judgement on him! The God that I serve is a forgiving God! No one knows his relationship with God - no one knows if and what he prayed before this incident happened! Aren't you glad that our God is not like some of you people that are posting on this site!

PLEASE KEEP YOUR NEGATIVE INCONSIDERATE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF AND OFFLINE!

mc2915 2 years ago

thank you for this message ( PleaseStop)

mc2915 2 years ago

I have one question Did the officer ever serve the Search Warrant? How do you over turn your car get out of it with a gun run behind a house and shoot yourself. Again I dont know what really happened because I was not there. But it sounds Like so much BS and we do know that the GBI has had more than their shares of lies when it comes to the truth. I did know this man personally. He was so kind and full of life. He who has nevered sinned, cast the first stone. we all fall short. My Deepest Sympathy and Condolences go out to his family. He does have people that love him dearly. R.I.P Japele

concernfordeputy 2 years ago

I know the comments on this article are very unpleasant for some of the people writing them. I have not seen one person ask how the deputy was after the incident. Everyone is sadden to lose a person that know. But you have to ask yourself THINK ABOUT HOW THE DEPUTY FEELS. I hope he is doing well, I know it weights heavy on him, to see something like someone taking their own life. I hope you are doing well.

MRMUSTBNICE 2 years ago

To everyone that has made the choice to talk bad about this great man.... please remember there is always two sides to a story. Unfortunately some of you believe what you read or hear...so read these statements from people that know/knew him best..

The American Drag Racing League regretfully announced on Friday that longtime Pro Extreme Motorcycle rider Japel Heard, 42, has died

“We are deeply saddened to hear of Japel’s passing. He was such a big part of the ADRL community and a big fan favorite, and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this difficult time,” ADRL Executive Vice President Jeff Fortune said.

“Japel was a wonderful competitor and a standout rider, and we were thrilled to see him get his first ADRL victory in 2012. But more importantly, Japel was a tremendous person and an incredibly kind-hearted and giving individual who always had a smile on his face. He will certainly be missed by everyone associated with the ADRL.”

think about it... wont be the first time cops have covered up something... get your facts right!

will 1 year, 12 months ago

$8000.00 and 50#s of pot, this is not a great man he sounds like a DRUG DEALER. It may be accepted in you community but it is not in mine. Why cant you face the facts a drug dealer is not a great person he destroys people and families just like he did his family. I wonder how many people are hooked on drugs now because of this so called great person.

Lillian 1 year, 12 months ago

Come on will, you know there is at least one person in your family that's tried or smokes marijuana or some form of drug. You may have a drug dealer in your family and don't know. I don't know i'm just saying. Are you upset because drugs destroyed someone in your family? Pray about it prayer changes things.

CadyJackson 1 year, 12 months ago

I agree with Will. Whether it's crack or pot, it doesn't matter: drugs destroy lives. What does it matter that a family member might have tried pot when it's people like this dealer who make the drugs available for sale that contribute to a person's self destruction. There is a reason these things are illegal.

will 1 year, 12 months ago

Lillian, I have several members of my family who smoked pot in the past including myself, and I quit long ago. You are right I may have a drug dealer in my family and if I do I will never say he or she is or was a great person. I have also had family members that have had their lives destroyed by drugs which they got from a drug dealer like this guy. Bottom line is that pot is against the law, I ,myself, think it is no worse than alcohol but alcohol is not against the law. You are also correct when you say Prayer changes things. Have a blessed day

MRMUSTBNICE 2 years ago

before you make negative comments about a great man that not many of you know...please get your facts straight.. since you all believe everything you read read this....from ADRL mag.

Heard was a standout competitor, but he was also a tremendous person who helped countless individuals throughout his racing career and impacted the lives of many more with a fun-loving personality that made him one of the most popular riders in the ADRL’s Pro Extreme Motorcycle class.

Remember there is always two sides to a story... wont be the first time cops have covered up something...

conyersbird 1 year, 12 months ago

So why does a man who races expensive motorbikes and owns an expensive clothing store get involved in drugs? Fifty pounds of marijuana has to be a lot of money... sounds like John DeLorean and his ill fated plan to make cash. Children lost a father and that's just sad...

heresyafacts 1 year, 12 months ago

Three kids, two different last names, no mention of a wife. A trunk full of drugs and cash. Running from the cops. That doesn't sound like an upstanding person by anyone's definition.

MRMUSTBNICE 1 year, 11 months ago

I really hope that after the investagtions proves there was foul play everyone on this blog apologizes to the family and friends for the negative comments. Like I said before this wont be the first time the GOOD GUYS (police) have covered up something.. Please keep that in mind. Lets be clear cops have done this many of times in the past. Not saying that all are bad, but there are many that are. And for those of you that have never been in a situation with the GOOD GUYS and you have done nothing wrong i don't think you can comment. Some times the ones behind the badge let the bagde go to their heads. Sad but true. I don't think anyone can argue with that..

Lorenzo 1 year, 11 months ago

Are you from this planet? Do an internet search of this gentlemen and you will find that this was not his first time (or even second or third time) involved with drugs, guns and running from the cops. I'm thinking that maybe you have had your own unpleasant experience with the "Good Guys" and now you just want to lash out from your safe and anonymous computer name.