Former restaurant demolished

This location on Ga. Highway 138 in Conyers will be the new home of Discount Auto Tire, according to the city of Conyers. The existing building on the site, which served as a Shoney's and later a Chinese restaurant, was demolished on Saturday. According to the city, Discount Auto Tire obtained a special use permit to build a store at this location. Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

A former restaurant building was demolished to make way for a new tire store.

Comments

bulldoggie 2 years ago

wow this story is way too long

Southside 2 years ago

I guess my reservation for Friday night isn't any good?

Frizzlefry 2 years ago

Fantastic insight! Thank you and keep up the great work!!!

EarlyBird 2 years ago

Someone hurry over to the jobsite before they finish demolition and beg them to demolish the old theater next to Arby's ! Have Oz and Oden sent over to help them.

Frustrated 2 years ago

Just what we need another tire store

mplcca 2 years ago

Seriously, how many tire stores do we need??? I read there is also a Kaufman Tire going in where the new Publix is.

Actually, competition is good for the consumer...drives prices down, improves the service. There will be more "specials" and "sales" and price wars, enabling the consumer to save money. And, there will be new jobs as a result, and the scarcity of trained people to work there will drive up wages, too.

How many tire stores there are should only matter to the other tire stores, each trying to get their piece of the pie.

REK 2 years ago

You people are pathetic. You complain about empty buildings and then complain when one is being replaced. You complain about the lack of coverage in the local paper and then complain about a story about our community. Would you be happier to see a rent a rim business coming in? Maybe a story about yet another drug bust would make your day. However, it is ok to keep the complaints directed to the BOC.

Elmo 2 years ago

Wow! Who soiled your Post Toasties this morning?

It's called a "comments" board, and on "comments" boards, people make "comments"...what a concept!

It isn't a "REK" board where we only discuss topics approved by "REK".

Take a deep breath, and lighten up...geeezzzz.

VPublicola 1 year, 12 months ago

A "tire store" could be a rent-ur-wheels and rent-ur-tires store. After all, as I I understand, the more you own the less opportunity to take advantage of government programs. Don't own the car then you rent the wheels and tires to enhance your image!

Anyhow, an eyesore has been demolished, a new building will be constructed and a new buisness will be paying commercial property taxes. This is a good thing. Now, like others suggested, while they are at it tear down the old theatre!

Rent tires...funny.

I got my first car back in 1961, it needed tires. My dad graciously bought tires for it...the hook was, he told me, "now, that's your car, but those are MY tires...you get into any trouble for speeding, or whatever, I'm taking back my tires.". I never go a ticket.

Elmo 2 years ago

Well, a lot of people would like to re-tire....(ahem) (I know, "groan")

Southside 2 years ago

It ain't all it's cracked up to be

Rob 2 years ago

Once again The Citizen display's it's "award winning" journalism!

conyerac 1 year, 12 months ago

gas station at Signman and 138 could use a bulldozier too...how about another fast food place so that North Rockdale won't have to get in 138 traffic to grab a bite to eat.....I mean 3 gas stations on a 4 corner lot?

bulldoggie 1 year, 12 months ago

Hardees would be good - mushroom swiss burger

IamBabybird 1 year, 12 months ago

Ok. The county needs to move some of these tire and mechanic businesses off of 138 or soon it will look like Memorial Dr. in Dekalb county. Restaurants and retails for clothing or markets are fine. Right now in a two block length: two(2) Pep boys, Jiffy lube, Firestone, Mighty muffler. Now your going to add another tire shop. What is wrong with this picture?

Opening businesses is not about decorating the roads, it's simply business. Good ol' capitalism has a way of balancing itself - when left alone by the government(S) - the creme will rise to the top, the stragglers will fall by the wayside, and the consumer will reap the benefit.

Impediments such as high taxes, punitive signage laws, mismanagement, and regulation overkill are always there to thin the herd.

The county has no authority to tell the businesses where to "re-locate" so long as zoning and licensing laws are adhered to, and especially not for beautification purposes.

There's quite a few restaurants on 138' do they need to move too?

The only perfect street in America is probably "Main Street", at "Disneyworld", but then, that's all "Fantasyland", isn't it?

Letting business "balance itself" is what drove us into this economic mess, with no consumer benefit, but lots of consumer harm.

No, the Fannie-Mae housing debacle with its non-qualified loans, stimuli, bail-outs, punitive taxes and regulations, and liberals caused this current mess...not free-enterprise.

But then, you were the big T-SPLOST champion, so you've long-since bought into the leftie talking points, so I'll take your lack of how the world actually works, into account.

The only one lacking knowledge of how the world works is you. It was the republicans that deregulated the financial system, which allowed those financial institutions to make all kinds of bad decisions. Free enterprise is great, but it needs to be regulated to ensure messes don't happen.

AJK 1 year, 12 months ago

The area you describe is in the city, and the development in that area is controlled by the city. The county can't do much about it.

maryinga 1 year, 12 months ago

Personally I don't think we need another tire store....so be it...it's their money!! That place was terrible to begn with. Shoneys went down hill and I won't say anything about the next resturants that went in there....in and out the door quick!! Wish them well.......

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 12 months ago

I'd cough up a couple more mils on my City taxes if they'd start buying up and bulldozing more of the CRAP on that stretch. I'm not talking about just vacant stuff either. Start with that atrocious mess at the northwest corner of Old Salem/SR138 and then go get Salem Gate and the old Duvall's and Putt-Putt.

I know, I'm dreaming. 138 in Riverdale, meet 138 in Conyers. You already met 138 in Union City, right?