Hunstein will preside over swearing-in

Chief Justice Carol W. Hunstein

Chief Justice Carol W. Hunstein

CONYERS -- Rockdale Board of Commissioners Chairman Richard Oden announced Tuesday that Carol W. Hunstein, chief justice of the Georgia Supreme Court, will administer the oaths of office to incoming elected officials in Rockdale County.

Oden made the announcement at the conclusion of the board's final regular meeting scheduled for 2012.

The swearing-in ceremony is slated for Dec. 30, 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., at the Rockdale Auditorium. A reception will follow in the Rockdale County Courthouse rotunda.

Hunstein was appointed to the Supreme Court in November 1992 by then-Gov. Zell Miller. She is the second woman in history to serve as a permanent member of the court.

She was first elected to the bench in 1984 as a DeKalb County Superior Court judge. Prior to running for election, Hunstein was in private practice.

Taking oaths for the first time will be Superior Court Judge-elect Robert Mumford, Sheriff-elect Eric Levett, Probate Court Judge-elect Charles Mays, Magistrate Court Judge-elect Phinia Aten, Coroner-elect George Levett Jr., and Tax Commissioner-elect RJ Hadley. Those being sworn in for second terms are Oden, Post 1 Commissioner Oz Nesbitt, and Clerk of Courts Ruth Wilson. State Court Judge Nancy Bills will be sworn in for a third term.

A holiday open house and reception for outgoing elected officials will be held today, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., at the Board of Commissioners office at 962 Milstead Ave. The public is invited and refreshments will be served.

Comments

CCHTS 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder how many tax dollars they are spending to have her preside over this shindig?

involvedtaxpayer 1 year, 10 months ago

It is an honor to have the Chief Justice of the Georgia Supreme Court visit Rockdale County to swear-in our elected officials, whether you voted for them or not. I would be surprised if there is a fee involved, as this is likely part of her duties as the state's highest jurist.

I hope all the officials really listen to the words of their oath and actually try to live up to them. Seems like we have some officials that could care less what they are elected and sworn to do.

If a breach of oath for office had any consequences, obama and most of Congress would have been gone long ago.

Oaths of office are mere formalities for pomp and circumstance although there are some groups (non-government) where the members take the oaths very seriously.

That's well and good, but all members of the military must take the same oath to protect and defend the Constitution, and then be willing to die, if necessary, in order to do it, or be court martialed for not doing it. I'd say that is taking the oath pretty seriously.

If the ones who actually fight to defend the nation have to abide by their oath of office, then the ones who send them to war should also be held accountable.

Explain to our vets who come home with no arms and legs that their oath was just "pomp and circumstance".

Obviously, you have never served in the military. But we digress. Oaths that are officiated with due authority should be honored and taken seriously. There is a concern that they are not. As people take oaths to defend the constitution, is it appropriate to screen the constitutionality of many of the laws that exist today and does the Constitution supersede an executive order?

You libs should love the "fiscal cliff" because you love to "jump" to conclusions. I took the oath on January 6, 1964 and served in the military for four years - most of them overseas - WITH an Honorable Discharge, as I lived up to the oath that I took. I've got the discharge certificate and the DD-214 to prove it...do you?

Executive orders are primarily intended to run the executive branch of the government, not the entire country, and they are not laws.

The Constitution is the law of the land. To change it takes an amendment, with most of the states concurring. That has not happened recently.

Now that I see that you don't know what you're talking about, I'll not waste anymore time responding to you.

Have a nice day.

Sometimes people look at them as mere formalities but it should be a sincere promise.

And George Bush wouldn't have been?

RednekGirl 1 year, 10 months ago

I completely agree with Frustrated. To me it seems we have a lot of inexperience coming to this county and this is something we dont need. It is a sad day to lose Judge Brown. All I can say is Magistrate Court Judge-elect Phinia Aten has some mighty big shoes to fill. I hope she can do it.

heypastorbob 1 year, 10 months ago

December 30th will be another sad day for the tax paying citizens and home owners of Rockdale Co.

ConcernedAmerican99 1 year, 10 months ago

It IS a VERY sad day to lose Judge Brown!!! and Judge Horne! and Dan Ray! I wish them the very best in their future endeavors.

The concern is very simple as we all value the Constitution: oaths to uphold and defend it should be valued. I don't have answers but I do have questions. Although I was never called to serve in the military, recruiters notwithstanding, I briefly participated in JROTC. Ergo, I am a qualified military man. Of the people who swear an oath to the Constitution, how many have actually read it? The military has undergone many significant changes since the new millennium and are not required to read it. The average U.S. IQ was 120 in 1973. Today it is 100. Poland is 101. If we read the Constitution, do we understand it? If so, then why do people debate the Second Amendment? "shall not be infringed," is crystal clear. Do we as citizens have rights or privileges? Should we hold our elected officials accountable? If not, then why would they care what oaths they take? Get the picture?

Lorenzo 1 year, 10 months ago

These folks aren't taking an Oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. I'm hoping that they will at least attempt to uphold the Oath they will take as Rockdale County employees because that is what they are. We will see if their words can match their actions over the next four years. I'm not holding my breath. As for the rest of your statement......huh?

JROTC? A "qualified military man"?

I think you're on drugs.