Honey Boo Boo on ice

Alana Thompson, star of TLC's reality TV show "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo," gets some assistance on the ice from dad Mike "Sugar Bear" Thompson and Rebecca Hydock, an employee with Have An Ice Day Productions. Alana and her family were in Conyers Thursday afternoon to film an ice skating segment of the popular show at the skating rink in Olde Town.  Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

Alana Thompson, star of TLC's reality TV show "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo," gets some assistance on the ice from dad Mike "Sugar Bear" Thompson and Rebecca Hydock, an employee with Have An Ice Day Productions. Alana and her family were in Conyers Thursday afternoon to film an ice skating segment of the popular show at the skating rink in Olde Town. Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

CONYERS -- Reality TV star Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson and her family were in Conyers Thursday afternoon to enjoy some ice skating and film an upcoming episode at Have An Ice Day skating rink at the Olde Town pavilion.

As word spread through social media about Honey Boo Boo's appearance, hundreds of fans gathered at the skating rink to get a glimpse of her, mom June Shannon, dad Mike "Sugar Bear" Thompson and sisters Lauryn Shannon, Anna Shannon and Jessica Shannon. Even baby Kaitlyn Shannon, Anna's daughter, was part of the entourage.

Prior to the family's arrival, staff at Have An Ice Day advised skaters that filming would be taking place at the rink. Skaters were asked to not look directly at the camera and try to act as naturally as possible.

Honey Boo Boo, wearing a fuzzy hat and jeans, took a few minutes to get up the courage to step out on the ice. But finally, with the help of Sugar Bear and rink employee Rebecca Hydock, from Conyers, she was soon sliding around the rink.

The pint-sized reality TV star, who was named one of Barbara Walters' "10 Most Fascinating People of 2012," attracted fans young and old.

Ten-year-old Brianna Ambler of DeKalb County said she's a fan "because she's so funny and so little."

Fay Garner, a grandmother from Lithonia who brought her four grandchildren to skate Thursday, said she appreciates the genuine quality of the show. She's also a fan of Sugar Bear.

"I wanted to hug Sugar Bear, but they won't let me close to him!" she said.

"Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" is one of TLC's highest-rated reality shows and has been called a pop culture phenomenon.

Comments

dtabor5 1 year, 3 months ago

Are you freaking kidding me????? I knew Rockdale was going down But to have that family here???? what an Embarrassment to the state and to the County!!! Just shows what the world is coming to it ignorance is celebrated.... So glad to move as soon as I can...

I'm with you dtabor5, of all the towns to pick on, why Conyers? Don't we have enough problems without being associated with this bad misrepresentation of the South?

Lorenzo 1 year, 3 months ago

It's got very little to do with Rockdale and a lot to do with our society today. Reality shows seem very popular. The only upside I can see to watching someone's train wreck of a life on TV is to make the viewer's life seem ok by comparison. I wish the little girl was just allowed to be a little girl and to have some chance of growing up as normal as people can get. I think her current chances are nil.

NorthRockdale 1 year, 3 months ago

To dtabor5: what a hateful attitude you have towards your fellowman. You say that you will be so glad to move as soon as you can. I hope that you find a place where all people are as perfect as you must be.

dtabor5 1 year, 3 months ago

I hope so too, but in the mean time, I will continue to live here... Her parents are exploiting her with no regard to her life or what she is going to do with her life!!! She is a baby and needs to be able to play and be a child. But instead her parents are parading her around for the all mighty dollar.... instead of showing her good points we are laughing up her read neck ways come on people.....

Spydee 1 year, 3 months ago

Poor kid... she will grow up soon and it will NOT be pretty

johndoemo_ 1 year, 3 months ago

How do you know? She could turn out to be pretty. ANd what do her looks matter to you anyway?

235ndy 1 year, 3 months ago

Spydee did not mean her looks. He/she was referring to her prospects because of the families lifestyle.

maryinga 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh lighten up people!!! It's all fun and games. So let them have their fun and keep me laughing!!

sweets7554 1 year, 3 months ago

Can someone please tell me if there is any truth to something I heard recently from more than one person? I have been told that the businesses in Old Town are trying to run the ice skating rink out of town do to the "element" they attract.

If this is true, I would love to know their REAL motives. We have recently started taking our granddaughters a couple of days a week and have found the experience delightful and the people a pleasure. Everyone of all ages are friendly and polite. When you fall, yes it does happen, at least 4 people rush over to help you up. We have seen NO problems. If we had we would not be taking our granddaughters.

There is NOTHING in Rockdale County for our youth. This is a great FAMILY oriented activity. We see everyone from babies, to grandparents with their grands, parents teaching their children and parents learning themselves. So where is the problem?

I can tell you, I use to work in Old Town and most of those folks are full of themselves. I do however hope they have not sank so low as to try and destroy a great FAMILY oriented activity in a town that offers nothing else.

cherryprint 1 year, 3 months ago

Sweets7554 I hope this is not true. I too enjoy taking my family to the ice skating rink as well. I am so tired of the "Old Town Folks." I don't know how they stay in business. These people claim to be Christians but all they do is exclude people. I bet if you go walk in their churches you'll see how closed minded they really are. God Help these people! They know not what they do!

conyerac 1 year, 3 months ago

As for the money....they dont get much money per episode...and the money they do get is put in a trust fund for the children....yeah, really bad parents.........not half as bad as alot of the other reality shows....