Rockdale sheriff announces re-election bid

Rockdale County Sheriff Jeff Wigington

Rockdale County Sheriff Jeff Wigington

CONYERS -- Rockdale County Sheriff Jeff Wigington made it official by announcing Wednesday he will run for re-election to a fifth term this year.

Wigington, 52, said he had made up his mind to seek reelection for some time but waited to make a formal announcement.

"We do have crime, but we're very proactive and we have a strong judicial system and those things do provide a deterrent," he said. "We have a great team here with experience, and I want to continue to make a difference."

Wigington has been sheriff since 1996 when he defeated incumbent Sheriff Guy Norman. He defeated Democratic candidate Donald Ferguson in the 2008 General Election.

Wigington joins Ferguson as announced candidates for sheriff in the 2012 elections. Ferguson announced his intentions for another run in August.

Wigington cited his experience in law enforcement. He began his career as a radio dispatcher and jailer in high school with the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office. He worked his way up to lieutenant before being elected sheriff.

He also noted under his tenure, the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office has been certified by the Georgia Law Enforcement Certification Program since 2002. The certification requires agencies to enact professionally sound policies and practices.

Wigington also gives credit to his staff, deputies and investigators. RCSO employees have had access to college level training through the Professional Management Program taught through Columbus State University.

"I can't do the job alone and, like I said, we have a great team here," he said. "They have the experience and training to keep Rockdale County safe, and I want to keep that going."

On the fiscal side, Wigington said voters should consider his office's track record of obtaining alternative funding from state and federal grants and forfeited assets for purchases of vehicles and equipment.

He also has overseen construction of a women's jail annex, administration building, maintenance facility and expansion of the main jail.

Wigington and his wife, Beth, are life-long residents of Rockdale County and are active members of Union United Methodist Church. They have three adult sons.

For more information on Wigington's campaign, go to www.jeffwigington.com.

Comments

squay 2 years, 6 months ago

This is good news. I plan to attend Sheriff Wigington's Campaign Fund Raiser Breakfast to be held at Glenn's BBQ on March 15th, 0700 - 0900, with check in hand.

I am not associated with Sheriff Wigington in any way: family, law enforcement, or church. I'm just a regular citizen who believes in him and wanted to plug his campaign kick off date.

Frizzlefry 2 years, 6 months ago

Kind of a crap shoot, but I'd rather go with Jeff then a King Richard "Yes" man.

wonderwhy 2 years, 6 months ago

Great news Jeff . . . . Keep up the great work and I am with you !!!

Sundance 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah I some some folks leave bad comments in the paper about Wiggington but I like his department pretty good. The situation with his sone getting out of the possession charge was the only thing I have heard that I dont like. Other than that, I think he runs a pretty good outfit.

1ayk 2 years, 6 months ago

What about Oz getting out of his "mishap?"

AJK 2 years, 6 months ago

Folks, if you have any doubt about Jeff Wigington and the job he does for for the people of Rockdale County, sign up for the Citizens Sheriff's Academy. See what goes on behind the scenes, and meet the people that work with him (notice I said "with" him instead of "for" him). I'll bet at the end of the class, you'll have a different perspective.

RobertPeele 2 years, 6 months ago

Good. The other option is someone who filed for bankruptcy twice, has a long personnel record including being demoted, and had a supervisor note that he should not deal with the public.

The decision of who to vote for should be easy.

LindaT 2 years, 6 months ago

I am happy that we have the opportunity to have Sheriff Wigington as our Sheriff for another term. He has done an exemplary job and we are fortunate to have had him as our Sheriff. Sheriff Wigington is a great example to our youth, and has done more for our county than most folks know.

donmadd 2 years, 6 months ago

A good man and a good sheriff. No question Jeff has my vote and anything I can do to help with his re-election.

DP 2 years, 6 months ago

I've known Sheriff Wigington for nearly two decades. He is a great man with a difficult job that he has done well and I hope he will remain our Sheriff for a very long time. For him this is not just a job. He is tireless and intelligent in his service to us. I respect that deeply.

1ayk 2 years, 6 months ago

I will vote for Jeff again for Sheriff. Underrstand that Jeff is and has always been a decidated law enforcement officer. He came up as one. He was not a politician as others who seek the position. Look around Rockdale and surrounding Metro counties. The majority of Sheirffs in the Metro area are now politicians and are influenced by the partty in charge. Is that what you want? Or, do you want law inforcement? HIs oppenent so far, is far from a professional .He as we all know has several mishaps in his background. Oh, that's what we need, he was misunderstood. The majority of Metro voters vote race over substance with no thought of their own. They feel discriminated against, etc. But, look at Atlanta and the Metro area cities managing of this mind set. Are they/you better off? Crime, low income, buisenssess moving,slums, etc. yeah they have it going on don't they? Sadly, racisim exist on both sides right or wrong. VOTE AS A MEMBER OF THE U.S. NOT A MEBER OF A RACE!

And, by the way for you race baiters. Look at history. The United States of America was estblished in 1776. Slavery ended, although not segregation, in 1863. Accordingto my math, that is not 300-400 years of slavery here. Prior the 1776, blame the British, Spanish, French, Dutch, etc. And let's not forget your own ancesters from Africa. Please, spread the "chip on the shoulder" around. And, most races faced slavery throughout history! I feel I owe you nothing other than respect as a fellow human being. What else is there?