Monday, July 16, 2012
© Copyright 2013
CONYERS -- A fire that destroyed a house on July 4 has been determined to have been caused by fireworks that landed on the roof.
Sharon Webb, public information officer with Rockdale Fire and Rescue, confirmed Monday that the house at 1509 Rena Ct. was set afire after a bottle rocket or other firework landed on the roof. Webb said the residents of the home were not shooting fireworks, but nearby residents were and "fireworks were going off everywhere in that neighborhood," the residents said at the time.
Webb said authorities stress the dangers of fireworks every year, but people still shoot them off.
"This is what can happen," she said. "Something so little and simple turns into someone else's loss."
All residents of the Rena Court home were able to escape safely. The house, which was built as a Habitat for Humanity home, was equipped with a sprinkler system, but because the fire started on the roof, the system couldn't extinguish the flames.
In other fire news, a duplex on Forest Villa Drive was damaged by fire Friday night after grease left on the stove ignited.
Rockdale Fire and Rescue was called to the home at about 10:40 p.m. The residents were at home at the time of the blaze; all managed to escape safely. The fire left the home and the unit next door uninhabitable, and the Red Cross was called in to assist the family and neighbors.