Rockdale says 'no' to T-SPLOST

CONYERS -- Voters in Rockdale County gave a resounding "no" to the 1 percent transportation sales tax on Tuesday's Primary Election ballot, but whether or not the tax will be implemented will depend on results from the other nine counties in the Atlanta region.

Total results were not available at presstime Tuesday night.

With voter turnout at more than 37 percent, Rockdale voters rejected T-SPLOST with 12,484 "no" votes to 5,433 "yes" votes. T-SPLOST lost in every one of Rockdale's 18 precincts.

State economists predict that the T-SPLOST will generate $6.14 billion in the Atlanta Region -- which consists of Rockdale, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett and Henry counties and the city of Atlanta -- over the 10 years of the tax. Rockdale County is expected to generate $104 million in tax revenue and is slated to receive $94.3 million in road projects, making Rockdale what some would call a "donor county."

Projects on the T-SPLOST list for Rockdale are: extending Sigman Road to Hayden Quarry Road in DeKalb County; widening Sigman Road from two to four lanes between Lester Road and Dogwood Drive; constructing a non-access bridge over I-20; and widening Flat Shoals Road to four lanes between Salem and Old Salem roads.

Proponents of the T-SPLOST argue that regional projects outside a county's borders still benefit residents of that county. They point out that improvements are slated at four interstate interchanges -- Spaghetti Junction, I-75/I-85, I-285/Ga. 400 and I-285/I-20 -- which will improve traffic coming in and out of Atlanta.

Comments

In your face! I hope the government realizes that we do not trust them and that is why we voted no. We all know that roads need to be improved but there is already money available for this if they will quit wasting it. They need to manage the budget better and quit acting like they can keep milking us. We are dry.They are taxing us enough and need to find the money in their budget. Start with entitlements and welfare abuses. Now, I am heading to Chic-fil-a to make my other statement for the week by supporting the Cathy's right to say what they believe.

Lawrence8 1 year, 12 months ago

Very well stated. See you at Chic-Fil-A!

The roads are the job of the government. It is not the job of the government to provide housing and food for people. Our politicians are failing at the job of providing good roads because they are spending so much money buying votes from poor people instead of doing the job originally laid out for them. They already have the money for all of these projects. They are just spending it on the wrong things.

pressman7 1 year, 12 months ago

Well said Sundance, dead on the head.

LoveIt 1 year, 12 months ago

It is the government's job to take care of the roads and it has to get paid for somehow. But so do other things. I wonder, Sundance, how your opinions might change on this hard line when you get laid off or are forced to retire. You may see the balance in a whole different way. There are many of us who are upright, hardworking citizens that got slammed by this economy. We never saw ourselves needing any help, but do now, even some weeks to put food on the table. So judge not, lest yea be judged. Just because I may need help, it does not mean that I abuse the system or feel entitled. I feel grateful. I now thank God the system is there to keep us floating till I can find a new job. Last year I ranted against it just like you. I see it in a whole new way now.

ConyersDawg 1 year, 12 months ago

I was brought up to give people in need (during hard times or not) a hand up and not a continous HANDOUT. It sounds like in your case you need the hand up because from what you state you are trying to improve your current situation. Those who continually want a handout are the ones that are killing the system and are a blight causing all of us to focus hard on what government should and should not be providing.

I am not judging you. I am calling out the politicians who are spending the money that they force me to pay on things that they are not supposed to be paying for. They are not supposed to buy food for people. It is not a function of government according to the constitution. I have recieved help from freinds and family when I was down on my luch and that is the function of community. Not government. Voting for your food is dangerous for our country.

Conyers_Resident 1 year, 12 months ago

I don't see government as alien or as the enemy. It is made up of fellow citizens and therefore to me it is part of my community. It takes more than just roads to promote the general welfare of our communities and nation. I am not a constitutional scholar, so I can't argue the constitutionality of the government buying food for people. I know all relief programs are based on laws passed by our duly elected representatives. If they were unconstitutional, surely someone would have appealed them to the Supreme Court by now. But, what do I know? I do believe though when accusations are made that others are "voting for their food", it tells me the accuser has likely never gone hungry or faced the prospect of seeing their children go hungry. I am happy for those who have family to help in times of trouble. For those who don't, as a taxpayer, I am glad to stand in for them. Vigilance in overseeing the programs is necessary to see they are not abused - perhaps this is something we can agree on.

I have to agree partly with Sundance. What I, and I think Sundance, am tired of is the "people" that make a career out of living off the handouts from the Govt. How many times have you seen people paying for food with an EBT card and then get into a nicer car than you or have you seen them with manicured nails and jewelry hanging off? I have no problem helping people in a time of need but those that choose to abuse the system should be cut off.

After the last 3 1/2 years of feeling like we're living in Cuba, this victory (or defeat, depending on your point of view), is most refreshing and welcomed.

MARTA would just add to the cancer that already has infected Rockdale. Those who don't like commute to Atlanta should look in to moving closer to their jobs...with the influx of people that have moved to Rockdale, Atlanta should have plenty of property for sale, and it's probably safer as it seems most of the cardinals have moved here, or at least do their "business" here.

But moving would take individual initiative, with out the public paying for their decisions. What a concept!

The Atlanta Mayor says they'll try it again in couple of years...well, good luck with that (not!)

"cardinals" = "criminals". (iPad auto spell correction kicked in)

atlasrelo 1 year, 12 months ago

I'm not sure, but I believe the Governor says they're not~

GET OUT OF ROCKDALE! People like you Elmo are the reason this was defeated. MARTA just happens to be the only transit provider we have and would REMOVE the cancer that's here. Instead, people like me are moving out rapidly. In fact, I think I'm not going to even sell my home, I'll rent it, for $0 a month just to spite everyone!

VPublicola 1 year, 12 months ago

Well, then quit talking about it and start packing. Bye and Good Luck!

Southside 1 year, 12 months ago

People like me have enjoyed people like you. I hope you find peace and happiness in Dunwoody. Just leave your front door open, somebody will find it.

See ya...dont let the door hit you on the way out!!

You're so right, Clark, people like me -hard working taxpayers tired of being duped - ARE the reason TSPLOST was defeated, and we're proud of it.

I've been here about 65 years, so there is zero chance that the likes of YOU will make me "GET OUT OF ROCKDALE".

Nobody gives a flying iota if you rent your house for zero dollars, that's YOUR loss, no ours. If you want to cut off you nose to spite your face, using the same flawed reasoning you used about TSPLOST, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Government and taxes are not going to solve your traffic problems, or anything else.

I already suggested in another post that those who are crying over the traffic should move closer to their job, so I guess you're taking my advice.

I made the commute for over twenty years...didn't kill me.

Maybe you could get you a motor scooter to speed your progress.

Meanwhile..."Ding Dong, TSPLOST is dead...".

Not if the governor calls a special legislative session and implements the tax anyways. Besides, if you want the old timey simple simplicity of country roads, it is in fact you who needs to get out, my and my eighty-five thousand neighbors will try and keep the door from swinging so fast.

Southside 1 year, 12 months ago

You and your 85,000 neighbors (56,000 of them voted no) just swing on anything you can find. You are the one whining yesterday that you were leaving & just letting anybody live in you house that wanted to. The election is over, the governor isn't going to do anything about it and if he did there won't be enough support to pass anything. Get over it. I don't like a lot of our elected officials, but I didn't cry for the last 3 1/2 years.

VPublicola 1 year, 11 months ago

A special session during an election year, really? Not going to happen, the citizens have spoken loudly and clearly on this proposed solution. Calling a special session, which costs millions of dollars, so politicians can override the will of the voters will result in incumbents being voted out of office in November. Again, this isn't going to happen.

1ayk 1 year, 12 months ago

Face it. Just like conservatives had to do in 2008. You lost. You can't continue to support unsustainable projects and survive. Conservatives will win the day in the long run. I know the Governor supported it, but he learned his lesson as well.

Nope, we can't support unsustainable growth and survive. So why was the T-SPLOST voted down then? It would have given us the chance at making the unsustainable growth, more sustainable.

1ayk 1 year, 12 months ago

I doubt it. MARTA is always in some type of finacial trouble. You want to ride a train move to where the trains are. Taxes that are mishandled cannot be sustained. Take a look at this county. TSPLOS T would not have improved it, it would have futher destroyed it.

No one has yet proven that MARTA or the taxes are significantly mishandled. Like the other anti-tax whiners, you've also not shown how T-SPLOST would further destroy the county. All this vote proves is people are more willing to listen to untrue hyperbole than reason for themselves, something that the tea-party relies on to stay in power.

1ayk 1 year, 11 months ago

You are now showing your true colors. You want big government, taxes, etc. in order to keep the give me folks in line. You apparently, as I have stated before, must tohave had a personal vested interest the the T-SPLOST. Growing the county, how? Buy bringing in more crime, section eight housing, etc.? I for one do not want to pay more taxes. This county has been going the down route the same way DeKalb has. The metro governments that have liberals in charge have mismanaged money and you know it. Why give them more. So they can have the power by keeping people down and on the government dole?

Actually, I'm for balanced government, and public transit just happens to be completely inside the government bucket on the scale. Somethings just work better when managed, and paid for by the government, transit is one of those.

You say that the county has been going the way that DeKalb has, well how are you going to stop it? Transit is a way to bring the good type of people into communities, the T-SPLOST would have made major progress towards that.

1ayk 1 year, 11 months ago

How is transit going to bring good type of people? I thought the tax was to relieve traffic going into the city of Atlanta. Who would want ot come to a County run by two liberal incompetents? People who can are leaving. The kind of "good people" coming by trransit so are have increased crime, decreased the values of homes, ruined our school system etc. Liberalism will evenually kill this County and Country. Open your eyes. It is a sad state of affairs that the give me mentallity has taken such a hold on the government. Look at what has happened in Europe. They are dying. This President wants it to happen to us and you apparently agree with him.

You're thinking too literal. Having a fast, reliable transit line into the major employment area is attractive to people holding the upper-middle class jobs in the city. It also seems that your true colors are coming out as well as it seems that you attack anyone who identifies as "liberal" just because they're "liberal." Europe was going along just fine until the financial meltdown of the U.S. (caused by conservatives trying to shove everything to the private sector then deregulate it) hit them. Could a different governmental system have been more robust? Possibly, but the U.S. will never be truly socialist. As I said before, somethings just work better in the hands of the government, and transit is one of them.

1ayk 1 year, 11 months ago

You nailed it. I am a conservative. And, liberals are killing this Country and County. Look at all of the regulations, taxes, coming taxes with the new health care law. Shoving green energy down everyone's throat. Green energy would be better handled by the private sector, not the administration. Our President has a one track mind, punish the earners by taxes, taxes etc. Which many an economist say would not help much if at all. He is a hack, just like two of our commissioners. You go ahead and let them run us into the ground with unsustainable ventures and handouts. I could and care less about the government running transit. I just don't want to be taxed for it over and over.

Green energy I can agree on with you, it's rather pointless when there are clean, proven sources available already. But it's not the middle class the President is after, it's much much higher wage earners where a little higher taxing won't mean the difference between eating or not. We aren't being taxed for transit over and over, in fact Rockdale has paid very little for transit as have most of the metro areas, that's why we don't have good transit routes in and around Atlanta. It's not the liberals running us into the ground, it's the conservatives that want to cut all taxes and end all regulations on business that are driving us into the ground. Don't forget, Bush and the Republicans started with a budgetary surplus, and left Obama the greatest deficit in history.

1ayk 1 year, 11 months ago

I call BS. Bush inherited a surplus due to Clinton being dragged to the table . What has Obama done but spend our money recklessly. He is a HACK! The Democrats ran both houses from 2007 to 2011. Mr. Change and Hope never had a real job and won't after he leaves office. He wants this Country to pay for what he thinks are sins. This is the greatest nation in the world and has saved it many times. He was not raised as a normal American.

atlasrelo 1 year, 12 months ago

I think the gov'ner said Not~ we shall see~

This referendum was defeated on a pack of lies, and people choosing to not know the truth. Hopefully, the government won't trust the people anymore and will just impose the sales tax WITHOUT our input! Good job Metro Atlanta, keep paying out the nose to spend hours stuck in traffic instead of paying a few cents to ride transit!

Now Clark, are you being a sore loser?

I see you're still advocating the nanny-state government to fix your problem. You've got some phobia there about traffic, wow.

Maybe the Conyers Walmart needs a new greeter, that would be a job for you with very little traffic.

You're being a big baby about all of this, it is, what it is.

At least I'm not actively advocating the death of my home county like you seem to be. The problems aren't going to go away just because you think T-SPLOST did, they'll still be here along with the crime and corruption that T-SPLOST could have helped fix.

1ayk 1 year, 11 months ago

Please tell me how that tax would have fixed the crime and corruption???

Good transportation attracts good people. Sorry that you don't see that, but it's just a fact of society. MARTA might run through some pretty rough and poor areas, but the locations within a block or two of the MARTA lines in these areas is better off than the surrounding areas.

1ayk 1 year, 11 months ago

Rough and poor is alway the excuse. Admit it, MARTA is a way for crime to come to places that do not want it. Metro liberal governments don't care about people, just power based on I can give you other peoples money! Why don't you stand up to this and tell these people to get off their A** and get a job no matter what it pays. Self esteem has been lost due to give aways.

Yep, Dunwoody and Sandy Springs are nothing but gangland battlefields now that MARTA rail runs to them, and the Georgia 400 corridor is a crime-infested wasteland where no one wants to live because the MARTA buses have brought all of "them people" out into the 'burbs.

It's been 13 years since the rail was extended, and who knows how many years (much longer) since the buses began running. Try again.

1ayk 1 year, 11 months ago

They are still feeding EAST. And, you know and obviously support it!

What is that supposed to mean? I support transit expansion, and if it's going east (where it isn't already), then yea, but that's been obvious for months now.

Southside 1 year, 11 months ago

Dadgum it, Clark. Conyers has never and will never compare to Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. The last time I drove down SR 138, I didn't see the Atlanta sky line ahead of me or in my rear view mirror, so no comparison to 400. We would comapre more favorably to Clarkston and Memorial Drive. I voted for T-SPLOST, it lost, I got over it, you should, too.

VPublicola 1 year, 12 months ago

"This referendum was defeated on a pack of lies..." Agreed and most of those were perpetrated by the proponents. The other critical component that defeated this untenable solution was the past history of politicians being wasteful with limited tax dollars (spending it instead on inessential items not necessary for the Government or people) and failing to keep their promises (raiding dedicated funds, failing to remove tolls, etc.). This was an absolutely wonderful outcome because it sends the message to the buffoons under the Gold Dome that WE, THE PEOPLE, NO LONGER TRUST YOU TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT. Now, whether they get that message and correct course is another story for day yet to come.

SarahTodd 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, it wasn't defeated on a "pack of lies," it was defeated on deliberate omissions of exactly what is going to happen now. Buried in that POS 2010 Transportation Investment Act is a poison pill that forces local governments to contribute 30% matching funds for any local maintenance and improvement grants by the DOT for at least 24 months and until such time as a sales and use tax is approved by voters. This lovely bill was, of course, forced on us all by the GOP controlled GA Legislature. Own it Republicans/Tea Partiers - this is your mess. We've gone way back to beyond square one and we'll still have to pay and our taxes will be raised anyway. Good job people. If only there was some way to go back in time and help you all pull your heads out of .......