Levett to run for Rockdale sheriff

CONYERS -- Rockdale County Sheriff's Office Deputy Eric Levett announced Monday that he plans to run as a Democrat for the office of sheriff.

Levett, whose family members are lifelong residents of Rockdale County, began his involvement with law enforcement while still in high school as part of the Rockdale County Sheriff's Explorer program.

Levett, 39, was born and raised in Rockdale County and educated in the Rockdale public school system. After high school graduation, Levett began work as a communications operator with the Rockdale County E-911 Center. According to Levett's website, he joined the Sheriff's Office as a detention deputy in 1993 and was assigned to the Uniform Division in 1994 after attending the Fulton County Police Academy. He worked for both the Stone Mountain Park Police Department and the Lake City Police Department before returning to the Sheriff's Office in 1997. In 2000 he took a position with the Conyers Housing Authority, returning to the Sheriff's Office in 2002.

According to the release, Levett will focus on making Rockdale a safer place to live, work and visit.

"I want to send a very clear, strong and unwavering message to the non-law abiding citizens; I will be tough on crime and I will make this community safer," Levett stated in the release.

Levett pledged to work with all county departments, all law enforcement agencies within Rockdale County and also with the citizens to accomplish his goal of making Rockdale the safest community in metro Atlanta.

Levett's platform is based on "Safety, Accountability and Professionalism." According to the press release, he plans to hold town hall meetings during his campaign and continue them if elected.

Levett has been married for 15 years to Lavette Levett. They have two sons, Christian, 8, and Colin, 3.

A campaign kick off event is planned for Sunday, April 1, from 4 to 6 p.m., at the Creolaise Ballroom and Bistro at 1161 Old Salem Road, Conyers.

For more information on Levett's campaign, go to www.levettforsheriff.com or write to The Committee to Elect Eric Levett Sheriff 2012, P.O. Box 1131, Conyers, Ga. 30012.

Comments

Listenup 2 years, 7 months ago

Wigington has a BS degree plus a Masters vs a high school diploma. I'm sorry

Carole 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm interested in knowing what the above comment means, also??? Please answer to the best of your ability, Listenup...

1ayk 2 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Levett you are waisting your time and money. Oden is backing Fergusosn. And, Wiggington is going to win hands down anyway...

Frizzlefry 2 years, 7 months ago

What is this supposed to mean? Please elaborate. I'd like to hear something stupid today.

the_shadow 2 years, 7 months ago

Eric Levette is a good man. I have worked side by side with him. My family friends and myself will back him 100%!

1ayk 2 years, 7 months ago

Looking for a promotion if he wins?

wayne 2 years, 7 months ago

He'll be a better choice that Fegrie's son, so when I'm a Democrat for a day in the primaries, I'll vote for him.

police 2 years, 7 months ago

Eric is a good man and a great deputy sheriff. He CAN make a difference in this county. He speaks from his heart and leaves politics out of it. Make our county safe again Sheriff Levett! We stand behind you 100%. Get in office and clean this county up!

Carole 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe in him...Eric Levett is a fair and just man from my perspective.

1ayk 2 years, 7 months ago

You want to clean up this county? Get rid of the two incompetent commissioners, get rid of low rent housing, the thought of rapid transit, and I could go on.

heresyafacts 2 years, 7 months ago

The one that vows to add CrimeMapping for a more proactive Rockdale (so residents can see where the problem areas are and know what crimes are happening in their area) and the one that vows that his office will interact more with the community -- ie answering email that comes to the office, if only to say we received it (something the current office cannot seem to do) -- is the one that's going to get my vote.

Carole 2 years, 7 months ago

We SERIOUSLY need CrimeMapping, and the ability to contact someone "live" to get some action...if we the people are expected to help our community, please make the path a little clearer for us to get there...

1ayk 2 years, 7 months ago

CrimeMapping? Just start at the DeKalb County line and head East.

heresyafacts 2 years, 7 months ago

That's a start, but we need one that has most if not all incidents on it, esp those in neighborhoods.

AwaitingChange 2 years, 7 months ago

In regards to the not so intelligent comment above, "Wigington has a BS degree plus a Masters vs a high school diploma. I'm sorry" What are you sorry for…..??? Perhaps, that the simple mindset of some is just not open enough to see that there just may be a need for change and degree or no degree does not "qualify" common sense, morality, or good judgement. In my opinion Wigington has not necessarily always done right or wrong which does not make him a bad person. However, take a seat and understand that we are all; including "YOU" are in a time in the world where change is inevitable and a GOOD thing! StrongWhether it's the PINK PIG, A REPUBLICAN, A DEMOCRATIC, or MY FREAKIN' GRANNY, whoever has what it takes to continue to improve our community that's who will receive my vote. Most importantly let's see how much a "degree" outweighs the degrees of morality. My prayer is that an honest individual will be placed where he should be to revive and save Rockdale County. My blessings to you Mr. Levett!!

noneedtoknow 2 years, 7 months ago

Well said AwaitingChange! I believe lots of these folks will be voting for the color of the candidates skin and really not to better the community. Thats the problem and will always be. I dont vote Democrat or Republican, I vote for the person I think will help out the community best. Thats how it should be. I am surprised Obama won. He had to have a few white folks vote for him to win. 75% of black folks voted for him for color alone. Obama is half white. Sorry, you cant take your vote back now. What I am saying, be mature and not racist. Vote for the best man for the job. By the way, I voted for Obama...and I am white. Just saying>