Rockdale Citizen Poll for Nov. 4, 2012

The Citizen Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-483-7108, ext. 402, email poll@rockdalecitizen.com or complete the online form. The Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments about candidates in political races.

"I don't like tattoos anyway, but I saw one today that was idiotic. It was a hooded figure with a gas mask on. Bright green. Some dummy paid several hundred bucks to get this on his arm where everyone could see it. It boggles my mind that they think this looks good. The only good thing from tattoos is that it visually shows the rest of us who the dummies are without having to get to know them."

"As a teacher I have a simple question: 'Is anyone above me in the chain of authority going to bat for me or is everyone just assuming I am doing a terrible job without and real info from inside my classroom?' I don't have the impression that anyone cares about the teachers. I may be wrong, but I would like to see some evidence to the contrary."

"Elmo, you do love talking but you have gotten better. My main comment was toward Vpublicola. I have thought that you were the same person because you both sound the same and are extremely long-winded and do not mind dominating the conversation."

"I couldn't find the Oct. 21 Citizen Poll on the normal link with the rest of them."

"I agree with making schools more attractive to draw good people to want to move here. Truthfully, these are solid public schools here with decent staff. The problem is that they are allowing terrible kids to stay in there. If these principals would just start pushing back against bullying parents and not put up with 4-inch-thick discipline files, these schools would be great. But there is a window. If they stay like they are for too long, the school staff cultures will get hopeless and just turn to trying to hold on to their jobs and give up on making a difference."

"I have seen many comments from teachers in these recent polls. A few are just whiners but more and more seem to be logical, fair, and honest. It seems like a sign that there really is a problem. They aren't just complaining about furlough days, time off, and stupid minutia. It seems like they just want a safe place to work and bosses that actually try to help them."

"The basic root of the problem with the school system is the 'new' students in the last few years... you know, the same ones who have ruined Rockdale County... No pep rallies because of poor student behavior, worries of gang violence at football games, etc.... You all know exactly the types that I am referring to."

----"I know no one really cares but I am scraping to pay my city and county property taxes this year. It's going to be a lean Christmas again. It would make it easier to swallow if the schools were excellent and didn't have all the problems. No one on my street even sends their kids to county schools because of the bad environment there. Yet we are paying taxes for them."

"In Georgia, there is no such charge as attempted murder. That is covered in aggravated assault."

"Those $1,000 push guards on front of squad cars aren't designed to push damaged cars out of the road, especially if they are severely damaged. Plus, in serious injury or fatality accidents, the scene has to be completely investigated. Go around another road, and get over yourself. God forbid, something happen to someone in your family, and the scene is compromised by recklessness of something being moved."

"A big thank you to the Conyers policeman who removed the flags from the flagpoles at the subdivision near the corner of Sigman and Irwin Bridge roads. The flags should have been removed years ago. You couldn't tell what colors they were and the stripes were separating. Thanks again to the Conyers Police."

"To the person who commented on the aggravated assault charges against the shooting suspect in Milstead: The reason the suspect was charged with aggravated assault instead of attempted murder is probably because it is first, easier to prove aggravated assault than attempted murder, and second, aggravated assault carries a 20-year sentence and with the 90 percent parole rules, they would have to serve 90 percent of the sentence. With attempted murder, the state would have to prove the intention to cause the death of another, with express or implied malice aforethought. That is a tough burden to meet, so aggravated assault is the more appropriate charge, easier to prove, and will put the criminal away for a longer time. Also, 'attempt crimes' carry half the punishment of the 'full crime.' Years ago, the state Legislature decided that crimes punished by life in prison would carry a 10-year sentence for 'attempt.' So a half a life is 10 years? Doesn't make a lot of sense does it? So aggravated assault gets the criminal sent away a lot longer."

"Mr. Jenkins' column on Sunday, Oct. 7 is very slanted about taxes. Fair taxes is not where everybody pays the same amount but the same percentage of taxes. As the tithes is 10 percent in church and not an amount that everyone pays. What is even more unfair are the tax deductions for the wealthy that the others cannot take. From those that have much -- much is to be given. ...Why should someone be able to donate to a private school where their children attend receive a tax deduction in Georgia. Why should my tax dollars support private schools?"

----"Regarding Darrell Huckaby's viewpoint on Oct. 24, 2012, needs some updating to current history. He needs to study his history about the need for a large naval force necessary in the 21st century. While he is correct that in the 20th century (1914) Alfred Thayer Mahan wrote a book on the 'Influence of Sea Power Upon History' was true back then. The world and history of World War II and the invention of jet planes and missiles along with drone remote control aircraft has made the battleships and aircraft carriers easy military targets for cruise missiles. We cannot safely sit in the Mediterranean Sea with a large naval force and fight a war against Syria or Egypt without major losses as proved by the Japanese suicide bombers during War World II. Our biggest concern is the nuclear missiles under development by North Korea and Iran. Pakistan and India both already have nuclear missiles. ... "

"I know the economy is struggling so I always like to help out whenever I can. This means getting out and enjoying a meal at a restaurant. The quality of food and service has gotten so bad in Conyers that I am running out of options to visit. Most of these restaurants should have great service and food as they are chains. Sadly I get greeted by hosts with attitudes or not welcoming me and I get food that I can cook better at home. I will just have to spend my money at the grocery store and cook for myself. I received a dish at ... with a bug crawling all over the dish, and that was the second dish as the first one was over seasoned to being inedible. ... The fast food restaurants have made awesome turn-a-rounds though. The McDonalds on West Ave and also on 138, the Wendy's on Sigman, and the Waffle House on Salem Road near I-20. Luckily these restaurants have healthier options now so I can spend my money there instead of these horrible 'sit down' restaurants we have in this county. ... I believe in second chances as many of these places received second chances already. I hope they change their ways. I'd rather spend my money at 'mom & pop' shops anyway."

"To Emo, Cluck, and V-pewbic, you certainly can go 3,000 characters if you want and the paper lets you. But come on. Learn how to be succinct. If you can't or don't care, it's up to you. Or you can all get together on the back deck and verbose yourselves to death but please keep it shorter. You have decent opinions, but golly, do we have to hear every little thing you are thinking. Or at least make one comment a week that is positive and uplifting about someone."

"As a teacher for over half of my life, I wonder why administrators are always telling their teachers to be positive with their students, but they aren't positive with their staff. It's so depressing to never receive a positive comment or an 'attaboy' when we're all working twice as many hours as we were a few years ago! I've never seen or heard from so many disgruntled teachers -- we're 'beaten down,' and feel there's no hope of it getting better. I hope the school board will read the polland know that teachers are at their breaking point! Help!"

"It seems things must be getting bad around Olde Town. After many years a tradition for our local school children has been cancelled due to budget cuts. I was told this on Oct. 30 there will be no trick or treating for local school children in Olde Town this year. I have spoken to many of the merchants in Olde Town. Everyone seems disappointed young and old. This was not a decision the merchants made themselves. I am not sure where the budget cuts come into play. The merchants have always provided their own candy to pass out to the trick-or-treaters. For many of these children this would have been the only chance to go trick-or-treating .Can someone tell me how this happened? I don't see how this could cost the city anything. It does not seem to matter to the city when Hollywood wants to come into Olde Town and disrupt local business for a week or more at a time costing the Olde Town business owners a lot of money. They also provide city police when this happens (tax money). I think it's time to stand together and let them know the citizens should have a chance to speak before things like this happen."

Comments

OK...I'll try to hold it down to 2,999 characters...how about you Vpublicola?

Southside 1 year, 9 months ago

I know a lot of "characters", but 3000? You must be very well known around town. I'll bet I know you, too. Milstead wasn't too crowded back in the 60's

Sorry, never lived there, try again.

To mine and Vpublicola's responder:

Could you please explain how one "dominates" a conversation on a public "comments" board?

This isn't "Twitter", or even "Facebook" (even though there is a "Like button", of sorts). The only plausible way to "dominate" a conversation would be to NOT ALLOW anyone else to comment, at all.

It is plain to see that anyone with a password can rebut, complain, or comment on others' comments, at will.

There is also the fact that you don't have to read the comments at all.

A comments board is no an Obama zero-sum-gain economy, and if I do use my 3,000 characters, it takes no characters away from you at all.

I hope that my explanation has been succinct enough for you.

Have a nice day.

VPublicola 1 year, 8 months ago

Sometimes putting the facts out there takes more than 3,000 characters.

Qui tacet consentire videtur!

ctownslimm 1 year, 9 months ago

I have heard our school system brag about rigor in the classroom but teachers post about "no zeros" and making up tests anytime and retaking the same tests over and over till they memorize the answers, (i mean learn the material). These things seem to go against each other. And these policies are not helping them get ready for the real world.

I agree Slim...given enough time, and repetition, a parrot can be taught a fairly extensive vocabulary, however, to the bird they are just sounds that are voiced on cue, and the bird has no concept of their meaning or context usage.

Schools are turning into "diploma mills" with these types of methods.

Plaincitizen 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't always agree with the comments, but I don't care how long they are! It's stupid and a waste of time to complain about that. No one is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to read them! This is forum for COMMENTS. If you only want to read short things, log onto Twitter.

For those of you who think Obama has been an effective president, some numbers for you to consider: Since January 2009 Food Stamp growth has been 75 times greater than job growth. A net of 194,000 jobs created while 14.7 million added to the food stamps roll

OZ and Oden know that we are on tough times with jobs still hard. These taxes I just paid are the highest I have ever paid. Now these guys want to add more uneccessary jobs to the budget and cut the number of firemen and policemen. Here are new additions that Oden wants to add to the budget for you and I to pay for:

Addition of a community affairs specialist at $40,000;

• Addition of a contract specialist for the Finance Department at $40,000;

• Reclassification of a Human Resources on-call employee to part-time at $10,400;

• Reclassification of an MIS part-time application analyst employee to full time at a cost of $20,000;

• Addition of a part-time deputy clerk position in the Probate Court at $10,400;

• Reclassification of a recycling center facility attendant from part-time to full-time at a cost of $10,400;

• Addition of a part-time receptionist clerk in Juvenile Court at $10,400;

These guys do not know that too many taxes are killing us. If they would ease up on the budget, we could spend more and give them sales taxes which would benefit everyone. Instead he just wants to raise my property taxes and make me struggle.

maryinga 1 year, 8 months ago

That's why people need to get out there and VOTE!!

maryinga 1 year, 8 months ago

I so can't wait for Tuesday Nov 6 to get here. I am so tired of hearing "He did this and he won't do that", with any political race going on. And parents, please raise your children and let the teachers teach. That is what they want to do. It's not up to the teachers to raise your children. Teach them right from wrong and to make something of their lives. These children are our future!!

Reese 1 year, 8 months ago

To the person who wrote about the fall traditon of collecting candy in Olde Town: The treats gathering from the merchants of OldeTown by the students who attend Pine Street Elementary was canceled by the new principal, not by the city of Conyers. Everyone (teachers, students, parents, merchants) who I spoke with was unhappy with this decision. Everyone was unhappy except the principal of Pine Street.

Jesse 1 year, 8 months ago

To the person commenting on fast food restaurants, don't forget Dairy Queen off of West Ave. It must be under new management because it is extremely clean, the food is great quality, and the customer service is excellent.

DawgsFan 1 year, 8 months ago

The DQ has been owned by the same family for some time. I don't know if they are the original owners but I do recall the current owners owning it since the mid- to late-90s. This is one of my favorite fast food establishments. But you're right, it is a very clean place. The thing I love the most is that its the same people working there. Unlike other fast food places where I never see the same person twice.

Given the choice of any hamburger available in Conyers, I'll take DQ, hands down. The only downside is the location.

mark 1 year, 8 months ago

The Obama mentality has made it to Halloween. We had a number of children ask if this was all they were getting after handing them two snack size snickers bars. Then we had a mother driving door to door carrying three treat bags and telling us her kids were to tired to walk to the door. Amazing our neighborhood looked like the green lot after a Braves game and half of the cars had Dekalb tags. My wife would always ask what they were dressed as, we had a college student (actual GSU student) a number of rappers, a high school couple (two kids holding hands) and a basketball player after the game heading to the club. I am done I refuse to spend $75.00 on candy for this mess.

LoveIt 1 year, 8 months ago

mark--Good for you! But this did not just start now.. it has been going on at least ten years, because that was how long ago my husband and I turned off the lights. (and BTW, no harm has come to us because of it) At that time they drove up with a tractor pulling a flatbed and at least 25 kids and adults swarmed my street. They were not in costume either. I asked where they were from and they said "Jackson. We heard this was a great neighborhood for candy and people are real nice." I know a lady who refuses to give candy to anyone not in costume, obviously over 12, or if they are from outside the neighborhood. If more people took control of what takes place on their doorstep, we all would be better off. Tell your neighbors that you are giving out candy to your local children and when they should come. Then turn off the lights and stop this craziness.

heresyafacts 1 year, 8 months ago

I quit giving out candy years ago, for the same reason. Too many DeKalb kids, plus these kids were taller than me and needed to start shaving. And almost NONE in costume, just hoodies and paper bags or shoving the candy in their pockets. Now my entire neighborhood has quit decorating for Halloween or handing out candy. It used to be about the excitement for kids, and dressing up was part of the treat. Now it's just all about getting something for free. Really sad to see the fun of tradition die out, just because of the gimme-gimme crowd.

WayBack 1 year, 8 months ago

I tell you what, I was at my friend's house in Old Town, over on College, and they bought over $300 worth of candy. We heard people saying they drove in from DeKalb to come trick-or-treating. There were a lot of cute little kids all dressed up but there were a bunch of older kids without costumes at all and they complained that my friends were giving out "the cheap candy" and I'm quoting. Mostly, it was fun, but those folks who were complainers really bummed us out. My friend and her husband didn't have to buy any candy at all.

DawgsFan 1 year, 8 months ago

We're done as well. I don't care where the kids come from, it's about the kids anyway. Our neighborhood has dried up giving out candy, so we had to go down the street to another. I watched the cars driving around and most of them were out of this county, I saw some Gwinnett, Clayton, DeKalb, and Newton. But the thing that drove me to my decision is the teenagers/young adults that didn't dress up and expected to receive something. They were very rude to the children running in front of them and rude to other people passing out candy. Furthermore, they're taking from my kids.

kt 1 year, 8 months ago

The City cancelled the event because the children from Eastminster and all the other elementary schools.

conyerac 1 year, 8 months ago

well, there is more than one elementary school in Conyers, whether it be the city or Rockdale County, it is still Conyers.....if all are not invited then correct....don't have it....our school..>HTE> which is awesome by the way, had their own trick or treat/ Fall Fest, the kids have a great time there...maybe other Conyers/Rockdale schools should take note...

VPublicola 1 year, 8 months ago

Will the real Ruth Wilson please stand up...Were you lying then or are you lying now?

BrentLuNae 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you for this VPublicola! I hope everybody sees this and do NOT vote for her. Too bad Hollie didn't have this video at the forum. She could have wiped that smile right off of Ruth's smug face.

stephensansing 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh wow--if you haven't watched this little video, watch it. I know who I'm voting for tomorrow for Clerk of Court.

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post...it was shared with me that To Emo, Cluck, and V-pewbic & a few others have direct access to the rockdale citizen. Their comments are not censored where as our comments are. Another bias thing about the rockdale citizen is how they allow malice attacks against Blacks serving in public office, but protect whites. Every dog has its day and the rockdale citizen will get their day for their reckless & bias reporting. Please post

Me! I actually consider it quite an honor to receive an insulting name. It means that since people can't actually refute my arguments, they have to stoop to personal attacks (which don't bother me in the least).

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post, ark please u don't carry weight with me as you wished I was making reference to u, but actually I was talking about claybi. My bad for getting your hopes up ark. please post

ctownslimm 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post! emo and Vpubic racist, bias, more of the same partners! BOC watch full of bias and pineapple samwiches. All black criminals should be treated like kings instead of locked up. Police is always wrong and black is always right!

Where you been Zo? We missed your bull junk. Please post. Please post. Please post!

Again, zo comes forward and acts as if ignorance is a virtue.

Only zo is denied access to a totally free comments board, where all that is needed for access is to register for access...obviously, s/he has done that at some point to get on here at all.

If the "blacks serving in public office", and yourself, can't take the criticism of the job they are doing, or opinions on same, then maybe they should stay out of the public eye. As you say, "every dog has its day", and if the "official" in question is acting stupidly with the governance of this County, they're going to be criticized, it's a fact that cannot be changed.

If the truth hurts, then maybe something unethical is afoot and they don't like being exposed.

Color-coding one's performance does not change the facts, or the opinions, of others. You can whine about it, cry about it, and play the race card until it's worn out, but it won't change the truth, or the facts.

No one at the Rockdale Citizen is trying to "protect whites", that is a frivilous and attrocious charge. This is an open comments board, and does not eminate from the Rockdale Citizen, but from the citizens of Rockdale. I don't know how you don't get that, everyone else does.

This board is as open to you as anyone else, and it's great that we have access to a forum to see the opinions and comments of ALL of the Citizens of Rockdale, and not just the governmentally "annointed" ones.

You're not being censored by anyone, but yourself. Your comments and accusations are so far out in left field, that they are laughable, and ridiculous.

Actually, what you have become is "comic relief" on this board, short on facts, but long on the race card.

Color has nothing to do with integrity, truth, or job performance...those are human traits, and every human being is expected to adhere to them, lest they receive criticism.

A lot of us don't believe in "participation trophies", or Nobel Prizes for nothing. Just because a black person achieves a political office does not mean that he is given a pass from the human traits that are required to get the respect of the people.

Southside 1 year, 8 months ago

It is so nice that someone will share with you, Bo. And you are so sweet that you want to share with us. Aren't we glad we dont live in the Grand Canyon where nobody shares with anybody? You have a nice day now.

Southside 1 year, 8 months ago

It made as much sense as Bo's post.

kt 1 year, 8 months ago

You must be off your meds again... Shouldn't you be plotting, I mean, planning, for your next bid for Sheriff?

HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh zo! Either you were lied to, or are just making up stuff because you're ticked that Ferguson isn't going to be sheriff and your buddies Oden and Nesbit will be voted out today. I've had several comments not posted on the Rockdale Citizen as well. You don't see me whining about "censorship."

heresyafacts 1 year, 8 months ago

"Oden and Nesbit will be voted out today" ...oh yes oh yes oh yes, just the thought of it is giving me a Chris Matthews-like thrill up my leg...

heresyafacts 1 year, 8 months ago

So much for that. Let the carcass-picking begin!

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

please post, I know face hurt, egg all in the face. Not only did they win, but BLOW OUT please post

we can only hope and pray this happens. Zo to get your comments posted you must click the "Post Comment" box not the "add photo" box. Evidently you were misinformed on how to do this.

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post, Clark do me a favor contact Alice Queen, editor of rockdale citizen, & ask her do i get censored? U don't whin as u call it because emo makes all your points for u. please post

kellygreen 1 year, 8 months ago

It seems like the only people who really reads and comments on theses things are Elmo and VPublicola.

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post They have direct access rights ask Alice Queen, editor of rockdale citizen. So, maybe they are the rockdale citizen please post

you can't fix stupid! Rockdale is full of them

1. roaches find one and you'll find more!

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post, I've been right so many times about everything I post. Emo go on this long explanation (when u lying u tend to be long winded), but he knows what I'm saying is true. Furthermore, emo & crew prove me wrong by asking the rockdale citizen to state their terms when it comes to post being posted. Well, I forgot Emo & crew are the rockdale citizen that's why they are not willing to come forward & state the truth that they censor comments & emo, vpub & few others don't get censored. Alice Queen(editor of rockdale citizen) share with the people how y'all censor my comments? Please post we are all watching this comment

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post, Alice Queen of the rockdale citizen please confirm for me that my comments are censored & that certain people have direct access to the citizen poll & their comments are not censored? Why not place an article in the paper outlining how post are determined to be posted. Please post we are waiting.

zo, no one is censoring your posts. The editor of the Rockdale Citizen has more to do than worry about your nonsensical ramblings, and, I'm sure has the journalistic integrity to not get caught up in readers' opinions and remarks.

Now, if you're talking about the "Citizens Poll" instead of the "comments board", that's a different thing entirely.

And, for the 50th time, I have no ties to the Rockdale Citizen, whatsoever. I was in media for about 15 years, but that ended over 30 years ago.

As for length determining credibility, how exactly to do you define "opinion" as credible or not? Opinion is NOT news, and it is not subject to credibility, only OPINION.

If you're trying to build some convoluted case of media bias to justify your rants about Ferguson, you're hosing into the wind. They don't care. Ferguson lost wayyyyyyyy back yonder, during the primaries. Get over it.

You are only confirming the overall opinion that you are - at best - delusional.

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post There u go on a rant. Let her answer u acting as if it's not possible bias censoring doesn't exist. . If u not part of the rockdale citizen don't be so sensitive. As the President stated we need to stop with all the bias rhetoric. The paper is called rockdale citizen and it represent ALL view points(should be). You and your crew whin about everything.and spread more bs than a little bit.

Now on the flip side, I've been right so many times go back and read my comments ALL are on point. Don't fight me on this one too join me in asking the paper for a straight answer.Want will it hurt if there is nothing to hide. U seeming a little worried. Please post

Zo, you haven't seen me being "insensitive'...yet!

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post Is that some threat, "Zo, you haven't seen me being "insensitive'...yet!"? Cry me a river.............the truth hurts emo & crew

Boo Hoo. How can you be "threatened" if no one even knows who you are, except as a name on a comment board. Is your IQ even above room temperature?

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post, Emo u know who I am, but play yourself if u like...tick tock. We know. So u might want to clarify your statement. please post

OK "Alice"...go on through the looking glass and chase yourself down the rabbit hole. You're going nowhere with your complaints.

When the Pres_ent said that about "stopping bias rhetoric", he only meant the comments aimed at him, because he surely didn't hold back on the vile and vitriol in his campaign. He's a lot like you, he can dish it out, but can't take it.

You need to go down to the paper, meet with the editor, and discuss your victimhood with them. I doubt the editor of the RC even reads the comments board.

Insofar as re-reading your comments history, pullleeeezzze, I've got better things to do, like cleaning the doggie poo out of my tennis shoe soles.

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post Emo said, "I've got better things to do, like cleaning the doggie poo out of my tennis shoe soles." Not only are u full of it, but u walk in it too.O, she reads it, trust she knows u & your crew. I just have to take it, because when I dish it I get censored. Again, u might want to clean up more than the "sole" of your shoe your other soul could use it too! please post

ROACH A lazy ignorant,arrogant person who does'nt have a job and usually tries to screw the system. Usually speaks load,most of them vote on skin color.

VPublicola 1 year, 8 months ago

Is ROACH and acronym for Racist Oaf And Caucasian Hater.

You forgot, "...and scurries for cover whenever the spotlight of truth is shined upon them."

for someone that gets censored Boz sure is posting a lot

Zo 1 year, 8 months ago

Please post maybe that's a sign things are about to change, because rockdale citizen might realize we are the majority now and the truth needs to start being reported please post