Oden, Nesbitt retain BOC seats

RJ Hadley, left, who is the apparent winner in the Rockdale County tax commissioner's race, gets a congratulatory handshake from Rockdale Board of Commissioners Chairman Richard Oden, who won re-election Tuesday night. Turnout in Rockdale for the General Election was estimated at 75 percent. Staff Photo: Lee Depkin

CONYERS -- As part of a nearly complete Democratic sweep in Rockdale County balloting, both incumbents on the Rockdale County Board of Commissioners will retain their leadership positions following hard-fought campaigns.

Chairman Richard Oden defeated Republican challenger Jason Hill, 53.74 percent to 46.19 percent in Tuesday's General Election balloting.

Oz Nesbitt, the Post 1 commissioner, defeated political newcomer Republican Tom Harrison, 54.51 percent to 45.37 percent.

Oden campaigned on his first-term accomplishments, saying that he had proven to be a proficient fiscal manager and had shown visionary leadership, pointing to $7 million in grants the county obtained during his tenure and numerous road improvement projects.

Oden gave thanks on several fronts Tuesday night for his election win.

"First of all I want to say thank you to my Lord and Savior, and the next thing is I want to congratulate my opponent for a worthy showing," Oden said. "The third thing is I want to thank all the citizens of Rockdale County for their confidence in me. I think it is very critically important that we come together as one community with one goal and do some atonement to bring our community back together and move forward as one community."

Hill, who served one term on the BOC before being defeated in 2008 by Nesbitt, ran on a platform of fiscal responsibility and greater economic development through improved infrastructure.

"I just want to thank everybody who voted for me and everybody who supported me because it was overwhelming the number of people who put their time and effort on the line for my campaign, and I think we did everything we did for the right reasons," Hill said Tuesday night.

Hill also expressed concern about the Democratic sweep and apparent race-based voting that ousted experienced leaders like Tax Commissioner Dan Ray and Probate Court Judge Lillis Brown.

"If the African-American voters don't start paying attention to what is better for them and their community and not voting based on race or party, then we are never going to get the leadership we deserve in this county," Hill said. "When you send people like Dan Ray and Lillis Brown out of office, you're simply not paying attention."

During his campaign for re-election, Nesbitt said he hoped to continue the "spirit of welcome" that has been generated in Rockdale County government during his term.

Nesbitt said he planned to work to attract new business and industry to the county and secure pay increases for county employees. Nesbitt also pointed to improvements realized in the fire department and Rockdale Water Resources.

Nesbitt could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Harrison campaigned on his experience in the water and sewerage industry and a desire to bring a spirit of cooperation back to the BOC. Harrison said he was also concerned about fiscal responsibility and the need to get the county's budget under control.

"I am personally disappointed (in the outcome), and proud of the race I ran," Harrison said in an emailed statement Tuesday night. "But I am more disappointed for the future of Rockdale County."

Comments

smshep5 1 year, 9 months ago

The path has now been chose by the voters of Rockdale. How sad that people can't comprehend or worse care about right and wrong. It is obvious to me that we have incumbents who look to improve their own personal gain, break laws, and embarrass the people of this county and voters have decided to look the other way. I predict the spiral downward will continue and leadership will keep smiling in their Sunday best suits while the rest of us continue on...although for me it will be somewhere else. Somebody stick the fork in, this county is done!

smshep5 1 year, 9 months ago

By the way, a picture is worth a thousand words! Think those two are already making plans about what to do with all that tax money? I can hear Oden now, you collect it and I will spend it. RJ was hand picked for this job, the speed bumps are out of the way!

Good grief. Well, at least I'm leaving Rockdale soon. Have fun with four more years of wasteful spending and bad decisions.

szbrown 1 year, 9 months ago

Unbelievable! I can't believe how people vote just because someone is democrat or someone is black without taking into consideration that person's character. This county is going down a dark path. So sad. Makes me sick to my stomach.

BrentLuNae 1 year, 9 months ago

szbrown, I can't believe how people vote either just because someone is republican or someone is white without taking into consideration that person's character. We know that all white people have perfect character, right, and have never done anything wrong? NOT!!

mark 1 year, 9 months ago

Amazing there have been numerous events documented about both of these two. I understand foregiveness but not for someone who is suppose to be a leader of a community. There were other candidates without chechered pasts and the only reason they did not win is because they are white. Cont even bother trying to justify these two. Ask yourself is Rockdale better now than four years ago....enough said

Reese 1 year, 9 months ago

Jason Hill, you nailed it with your comments. Rockdale, lookout for more wasteful spending and Marta.

MARTA RAIL IS NOT BAD FOR ROCKDALE! Quit propagating this myth! MARTA won't get here for years anyways. These candidates are bad for Rockdale, but a MARTA rail station is not!

Motohead 1 year, 9 months ago

Clark, crime rides the rails. Period. Don't be naive. When is the last time you rode a Marta train early in the morning or late at night? Did you feel safe? Was the immediate area surrounding the Marta station safe? Would you feel comfortable leaving a friend or family member alone at night at a Marta station? Would you feel comfortable having your daughter or mother riding a Marta train alone?

Do you remember the roving pack of teenagers that burst onto a Marta train and attacked Delta workers for no reason and then ran off at the next stop? Does this sound like something good for Rockdale? It was in the news a while back. Look it up.

A few weeks ago, on 1ayk's request. I felt plenty safe onboard, and in the station, and walking to my car, and didn't have any issues until I got back out to Conyers where I was nearly promptly panhandled. Yes, I'd feel comfortable with the people you mentioned alone on MARTA at night.

I remember that. I also remember all the robberies, and break-ins and shootings that have happened here in Rockdale. I also know that most people wouldn't be riding it at night anyways. All I'm advocating for is a single rail station on that unused property at Sigman Road and I-20. Please explain how people will go from there, out into the county and start causing havoc? Especially when the station would have a MARTA police presence which could be alerted to be on the lookout for the suspects.

dont try to reason with him about MARTA. You cant reason with some people and evidently Clark is one of them.

Motohead 1 year, 9 months ago

Haha I know, but Clark- They simply walk out of the station and out onto the side of the road, like they do now.

Let me just point out that I live in the Sigman Road area and because of Lake St. James apartments that were built over a decade ago, we now have people walking to and from the gas station, etc., along the side of the road where we didn't have those types of people before. Everyone drove. The people walking alongside the road are mostly thugs. Surprise surprise, we have also had break-ins in the area. These are the same type of people who ride Marta.

As for not riding Marta at night, we just had daylight savings time. People who work past 5:00PM this time of year will be riding it in the dark every day. As for the police presence, it is not on every train like it needs to be. The officers are scattered here and there.

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 9 months ago

Walking beside the road?? They are usually IN the road on McDaniel Mill and Iris Drive. Idiots.

vlunceford 1 year, 9 months ago

Aside from Stonecrest Mall, I can't think of anything that would be worse for Rockdale County than MARTA!

I can: not having a fast, reliable transit system into Atlanta.

maryinga 1 year, 9 months ago

4 more years.......I am so hoping and praying that it won't be as bad.....and now waking up to see that this isn't a dream and that this "team" has won, again. God have mercy on us all.

mark 1 year, 9 months ago

I use to drive through places like Lithonia and and Stone Mountain and wonder why I would see an older white person getting their mail or walking in their front yard and wonder why they live in the hood. Well now I know, they became stuck do to plummeting home values and no way to get out. It has become clear with this outcome, the increased crime and the complete disregard for a candidates criminal past that I am destined for the same future. I cant afford to take a huge loss on my home and between the free falling school system and the crime I doubt anyone will pay what its worth. Ijust cant believe it.

conyersgirl 1 year, 9 months ago

Goodbye Rockdale it was nice knowing you.....Hello East Dekalb/North Clayton!!!! The same for Newton too. We have been overrun by people who dont care about integrity, values or honor!!!! The bad buys have won & taken us & I am done!!!! North GA mountains, I'll be coming to see you soon!!!! PS by the way Romney won in GA & the south, so i will never consider obama my president. Is it possible for these states to succeed from the union again. I am sick at my stomach for Rockdale & Newton Co and for America.

Rockdalepeace2013 1 year, 9 months ago

Although the people I voted for didn't win, I'm not as bitter as you. Do us all a favor and head to the mountains ASAP we don't need that hateful negative jealous spirit around here. It's shameful!!!

mark 1 year, 9 months ago

It is not racism if you do not want men who have been charged with variouse offenses representing you. As for our President I do not like what the white half of him stands for either.

me_again 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm pretty sure you meant 'secede,' not 'succeed.' And I'm also pretty sure that did not workout too well last time we tried that.

I couldnt agree with you more. It simply amnazes me how uninformed some people can be. Racism is alive and well in Rockdale County.

I gotta get me a bigger keyboard

vlunceford 1 year, 9 months ago

With the election over, it is clear that on a nation-wide basis, prosperity won't see us again for at least 4 more years. I was sort of hoping to see home values rise again so I could sell my house in Rockdale for at least what I paid for it so I could move away. At this point, I might be willing to take a loss just to get out. I'm not sure North GA is far enough, though!

Motohead 1 year, 9 months ago

Would the last decent person in the county please turn out the lights on their way out?

The mood last night at The Whistle Post Tavern was a mixture of shock, sadness and tears at the blind racism. Experience and competence apparently count for NOTHING in the eyes of the majority of the people in this county.

Jason Hill's comments are spot-on.

It was a nice little county we had once. Unfortunately we have been overtaken, and I applaud this valiant last stand by our county's proven Republican leaders. There were nothing but worried faces streaming out of the tavern.

Note to R.J. Hadley: how are you going to collect taxes when your tax base has moved out of the county and home values have fallen further? Hard to get blood from a turnip.

The only questions I am asking myself now is what kind of econobox car I want to buy, and whether I want to commute from further out I-20 or move to the north side of Atlanta.

If you think anything good is in store for the future of this county and that your property values have any hope of going up, then you are absolutely kidding yourself. Go drive down Memorial Drive if you want to see what Hwy. 138 will look like in a few years. Go look at Clayton County if you want a chilling vision of things to come. That's us in 5 years or less.

Why would any employers come here, knowing what clowns we will have as leaders? Get used to moving farther out and having a 2-hour commute to work.

Let these idiots fight over the table scraps of what is left of this county. We fought the good fight and we lost. Take it like a man and admit it's time to move. It really is as simple as that. Don't sit there with your head in the sand thinking that the leadership and the schools are going to get better. They won't. This county has just permanently gone Democratic. Thanks to the great public educators I had growing up here in the 80s and 90s. I feel for you.

-lifelong resident

WayBack 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with so much of what you said, but there are a bunch of people who aren't willing to give it up quite yet. We're long-timers and we're in it for the long haul. I was in that same room last night. I think this place is worth fighting for. And I know a bunch of others who feel the same way.

wavace 1 year, 9 months ago

Such a sad, sad day for the working people of this county.

g64 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks Rockdale County citizens for voting for corruption and self-interest! The deterioration of the county had slowed down due to the economy/housing crash that forced the long-term residents of the county to stay without suffering huge loses. We had a chance to stabilize with the election of officials with ability AND integrity. We had a chance to elect officials that would promote community interest. Look at the headlines that continually come out of Clayton and Dekalb counties, not the overwhelming crime headlines, but the government corruption headlines. Look at the history of Rockdale’s elected officials. The production of the clown show has begun. It’s inevitable. If Wigington is not reelected, the speed of the decline will be staggering. It did not have to be this way. How sad?

quit your job,move to rockdale. Get a copy of vibe or jet and collect stamps, ROCKDALE MOTO. IS E B T ACCEPTED HERE.

BrentLuNae 1 year, 9 months ago

If you think you are going to move to North Georgia Mountains and not see black people, you will be sadly mistaken. If you are that serious about moving, Macy's has a sale on suitcases, in case you need some and there is a coupon for a moving van in the Sunday ajc. Come on, this is the 21st century. Do yall still hate black people that much? Anytime a person can just give up and allow one race to control them and make them move away, then you are nothing more than a weak person. In time, the same stuff that you hate here in Rockdale will happen in the North Ga Mountains because I know of 2 black guys who ran for sheriff up there and lost but guess what, in 4 years, they will be back and will probably get elected so then what? You can run but you cannot hide. At some point, you are going to get old and cannot move again. You are probably thinking, "this ain't about skin color, it is about my tax dollars being wasted." Heck, I don't want my tax dollars being wasted either. So, what you need to do, and others who feel like you, is go to the BOC meetings and when there are wrongdoings, take several people with you to the meetings and fight for what is right. Let the administration know when they are wrong. They need to answer to us...the taxpayers. Once it is on video, then everybody can see it over and over again. If you can't do that, then you do need to leave. Fear makes people do foolish things. I can guarantee you, if anybody leaves this county and go some place else based on these elections, you will soon realize that you should NOT have moved in the first place. Calm down. Have faith in GOD, not people, that everything will be okay.

Dont kid yourself Brent. It has been proven over and over again that Oden and Nesbitt dont listen to the people. They do what Oden wants to do. Nesbitt cant think for himself and Van Ness is a single person against them. It isnt all about race, its about what was right for the county and what we got this election isnt it. Several experienced and qualified people lost their positions because people didnt care about qualifications and experience much less competency.

Vonnielou 1 year, 9 months ago

Brent, your post makes more sense than anyone else 's post! I am a white, senior citizen female who felt like a lot of the other posters when I read the results this morning. My husband of ten years has owned our home for about thirty years and won't even consider moving. I, like a lot of other people, have complained about the changing demographics of Rockdale. Those who voted based on race, and nothing else, are no different than we who have complained this morning about the county going to hell in a handbasket! They feel that they are limited in changing things they consider, rightly or wrongly, out of their control. Therefore, they vote the way they "think" will protect them! People, we can't give up on our community! There are still enough of us to prevent becoming the same as some of the surrounding counties considered "third world". I voted for Obama, but voted republican for the county positions. I voted based on whom I considered best for the position. Start going to BOC meetings, organize, voice your concerns to those in control. Make them listen to you! We have to keep Rockdale a good place to live. We can't always run away from situations we consider impossible. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE! Save Rockdale - We can do this!

bigmac 1 year, 8 months ago

Vonnielou if you voted for Obama I question your ability to judge a person's character. Obama is going to run the country into bankruptcy.

Motohead 1 year, 9 months ago

Brent...please. People have already been videotaping Board of Commissioners meetings and pointing out the clownery. Oz and Oden don't care, because they know they have the demographics in their favor regardless. Don't kid yourself. Oden does what he wants, and if people complain at a meeting he just says "thank you for your comment" and then goes and does what he wants anyway.

Even animals are smart enough not to crap in their own nests. It appears Rockdale's Democratic voters are not even that smart! This will go down as the period in time when the nail was put in the coffin of this county.

conyersgirl 1 year, 9 months ago

news flash - there are people of all color in North GA BUT - they all take care of themselves - they hunt, fish, farm etc. They dont expect the government to take care of them - they love GOD & country. They respect our constitution & bill of rights & other people. Its a complete different calibur of people there. The deadbeats, slackers & criminals & entitlement folks & those who want something for nothing & have no respect for others are the ones i refer to when i say goodbye. Obviously its you & others like you...who has an issue with race since y'all are constantly bringing it up & call us who think differently a bunch or racists. It is you who is sadly mistaken as i have black people in my extended family so go preach to someone else.

kellygreen 1 year, 9 months ago

You guys are racist. You are living in fear and hatred. Dont prepare for th great white flight, learn to live in harmony and cooperate. You know I thought it was a shame there were no white people on the democratic ticket this year. Its not about race but this county keeps trying to make it into one. Go out and embrace your fellow neighbor get more involved in your community stop dividing yourselves based on the pigment of your skin or party affiliation.

VPublicola 1 year, 9 months ago

WRONG, in his own words... (OZ Speaks!)

peenut811 1 year, 9 months ago

I just cannot believe that the citizens of Rockdale elected these guys back into office. These two have their own interest at heart not the citizens of this county that I used to love.

thesmad1 1 year, 9 months ago

what did you people think? The county is 55%+ black and hispanic and if it was anything like the Presidential election 95% plus voted by looks not by accomplishments.

VPublicola 1 year, 9 months ago

I wonder how many of those Hispanics and Asians were visited by the "entourage" who placed a sign at their place of business or home then told them that if it were removed they would be in "trouble" and then instructed them to vote straight democractic or they would be in "trouble."

heresyafacts 1 year, 9 months ago

Getting grants = fiscal achievement. Not bringing business here, but relying more on the federal dime. Welfare mentality rules Rockdale; four more years will only continue the decline. This county is done.

scanlonblue 1 year, 9 months ago

Racism and ignorance is a 2 way street. Those who are saying blacks voted for blacks are as guilty of voting for whites because they are white. The issue here is that people didn't educate themselves before casting their votes. A court clerk who lined her pockets with taxpayer money, commissioners with rap sheets, the head of probate court hasn't practiced law since he graduated in 1982???

Actually no, I'm not. I voted Republican (not "white") for the local positions because I felt that's who this county needs for at least the next four years in order to not completely die out. I voted Democrat for State and Federal positions because I feel that's who this state and country need for at least the next four years. It's not racist to point out when other people, who vote along race lines, are racist. People like you talk about "living in harmony" and "adjusting to change" well like you just said, it's a two-way street, I'll live in harmony with another race, when that other race will stop hating me and pulling the race card for crimes I wasn't even alive to commit!

never thought I would say this but Clark I agree with you.

Chstew79 1 year, 9 months ago

Hill was spot on, Racism is alive in Rockdale County, but it is against hard working white people. It is clear now they majority of the County is voting soley on their skin color. Long time incumbants losing to political newcomers with little or no experience??? Sad, sad day for this once great County. I am now embarassed to say I live in Rockdale County.

VPublicola 1 year, 9 months ago

Chstew79,

Keep in mind there were hard working black people in this county who value honor and integrity that voted for several of the Republicans on the ballot because they put their values and what is best for the county first. They are not racist, but they are also vastly outnumbered - as are the rest of us. It's Guess what, they are demonized, chastised and intimidated by members of their own race for not putting skin color first. Just read the words of Oz Speaks in my post above. There is a substantial percentage of that 54% who need some serious self-reflection and they certainly aren't getting it from Church.

thesmad1 1 year, 9 months ago

lol forget about the local election results the fact that the like of Hank Johnson gets voted in again speaks volumes about th intent behind the majority voters of this county. How the heck Wiggington got back in is a miracle.

peenut811 1 year, 9 months ago

Tell me about it. Does anyone remember when Hank was worried that too many Marines on one side of Guam would actually capsize and tip over the island? Wow! This guy is brilliant! I am still in disbelief about this one.

rockinglatina 1 year, 9 months ago

Since when did Conyers move to Europe???? Last time i checked it was still part of the USA.. That has got to be the most ignorant comment I've ever heard . Some people need a reality check. It's 2012 leave that ignorant mind set behind!!! So thankful GOD made me an intelligent, strong and loving woman!!! We all come in different shapes, colors, sizes and party affiliations!!! Vote for your party without disregarding the others choices... you sound really uneducated.

rockinglatina 1 year, 9 months ago

I myself voted bi-partisan... no race will make me decide on who I will vote for. But the racism is just so prevalent on both sides. Whites won't accept blacks and blacks won't accept whites... That is so far fetched from the America I grew up in.... It's time to accept each others differences and move forward!!!

Clem 1 year, 9 months ago

rockinglatina, That is such a nice race neutral statement there. Tell me, which city in Latin did you come from>

j2151law 1 year, 9 months ago

As I read all the negative posts which blame the loss of their Republican candidates on the belief that minorities only based their votes on Race in both local and national elections is completely asinine. I have come to the conclusion that the old adage"If It Ain't White, It Ain't Right" still rings true in the lives of some of the Whites in our country.

szbrown 1 year, 9 months ago

j2151law, I think you have it wrong. The fact that people voted for less qualified candidates, some of them even proven corrupt, is what is asinine. Had people educated themselves on the best candidate for the job, the election would have had a different outcome.

j2151law 1 year, 9 months ago

szbrown, everyone has a right to disagree about who is the best or more qualified candidate. My point is that a lot of people are assuming that minorities only based their choice for an elected official solely on race which is absurd.

ctownslimm 1 year, 9 months ago

Because it is true. There may be a few that dont. But dont lie or live in fairy land. RJ Hadley has zero experience at that job. Blacks voted race in this election. I see this is about race now. Last week I would have believed you but not now.But that is fine. They cried “Give us Barabbas!” Buckle up.

BrentLuNae 1 year, 9 months ago

I am inclined to agree with ctownslimm because Dan has done an excellent job as Tax Commissioner. He has done a lot of updating in his department so how can someone improve on that with NO experience. Yes, RJ blindly received those votes based on his skin color and there will probably be no improvements in that dept for the next 4 years because what can he do? Or he will attempt to make changes but because of his lack of experience, it will be probably be a lot of errors. Not everybody has a smart phone for the latest apps. So, he will collect that nice check and ride on Dan's coat tail for the next 4 years and that ain't right.

Stopthemadness 1 year, 9 months ago

Let's see....who votes more on race?????

In 2008 95% of African American Voters voted for Obama 43% of Whites voted for Obama

41% of White Males voted for Obama
         97% of Black Males Voted for Obama

WHO VOTES ON RACE ALONE????

Shockedatthecomments 1 year, 9 months ago

I am really shocked and appauled by most of the comments that have been posted. As a 15-year resident of Rockdale, quite frankly I am embarrassed by the tone and the clear undertone of them. Five years ago, the only elected officials of color in this county was on the city council. I don't recall any one accussing anyone of voting based on race when the slate of elected officials was white. It doesn't matter to me if you are black or white, what I am embarrased about is that people would so blatantly state that because those elected happen to be black that this county is done! What in the world? I admit that I was concerned when I received a campaign flyer that had a X over the faces of all of the republicans, who admittedly happen to be white. I didn't agree at all with the message being portrayed, but, found it interesting that the ballot did seem to be split along party lines and sadly, color. I don't vote just democratic nor do I vote just republican. I vote based on the issues and whom I believe will be the best representative for this county. Rockdale County is still one of the greatest counties in the state because of the residents who live here and demand that it be so...not just because of our elected officials. We must stay involved in the process here and not head for the hills.

I own property here. My children are being educated here. I still believe in this community and will stay involved in the process and encourage us all to stop spewing hate...but instead extend God's love. Fleeing is not the answer. Our elected officials can only do what we allow them do. If you don't like it, stay involved in the democratic process here. But, badmouthing your community, OUR COMMUNITY, online and anywhere else, is NOT the answer. I still love Rockdale and believe that if we all simply take a good hard look at ourselves and truthfully answer the question of why we are so angry at the election results...I think you might be surprised at the answer. It's just a question that you should ask yourself...it's personal. You don't have to share the answer with anyone other than yourself. Just do yourself a favor and be honest. Please don't be a hypocrite. Love to all Rockdale Citizens!!! It's not black or white, its black and white. We must stand together and not let the "hate" of either race cloud our judgment.

szbrown 1 year, 9 months ago

It's not the color of their skin that anyone is upset about. When someone who is clearly not qualified wins an election, there is something wrong. When someone who has done unethical things in their position and still wins reelection, there is something wrong. There are voters that did not educate themselves on the candidates prior to this election.

I'm still wondering about the statement in another paper that blacks posted 30% more votes, than REGISTERED black voters in the county. Especially, when most of the races won were around a 3,000 vote majority.

And, it was reported that the white vote was EQUAL to the number of white voters registered.

Makes me think that some spillover from another county aided in the voting.

I'd love to see an audit of registered voters vs votes cast (or counted).

I may be looking at this wrong, but I'd like to see the count anyway.

Wow, is the world ending? Because I agree with you Elmo! If what you're saying is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it), then there sounds like some major election tampering going on and we need to figure out where and how.

WayBack 1 year, 9 months ago

I heard Hadley was with ACORN before. If anyone knows how to tamper with an election it's those people.

DawgsFan 1 year, 9 months ago

Please stop making this about race! Apparently only the democrat supporters are throwing the race card. It's about much more than that, and if you'd remove your head from your rear ends you'd be able to read the comments. They're all very true. I hate to say it, but I think I've given up on Rockdale. I've begun looking at surrounding any county that is RED. Funny how the blue counties are the ones with the highest negative news and highest crime rate. Even if I have to, I guess Hadley will have to come take my house from me. I pay my bills on time but I am seriously considering joining the majority of Rockdale and riding on the wave of the government...

Unfortunately, all indicators show that it IS about race.

Dekalb has been picked clean, so it's on to Rockdale...and it will continue until all towns along the I-20 corridor have been picked clean.

The locust doesn't stop swarming until all of the fields are picked clean.

RasheedWallace 1 year, 9 months ago

Hill's comments may seem at first glance to be colored (LOL PUNS) by something more nefarious, but really when a man like Dan Ray who has done excellent work at his post is unseated by someone who (while having a great resume in other aspects) has no experience in this field then maybe we need to look at the effect blind party bias is having in the county.

helpusall 1 year, 9 months ago

On the note of Dan Ray. You will not find a better person in all of Rockdale County. He has given 20 years to Rockdale County, and last night we let him down. R J Hadley ran against Dan Ray because he needed a job, not because he wanted to change something or make it better. His own response to making the office better, was to give the citizens of Rockdale County an Iphone app!!! That is just laughable. The day an honest man could not be re-elected because of dem. vs. rep. is a sad day. I am not saying all of the races were right or wrong, but I am saying that the race for Tax Commissioner was WRONG. Does R J know that you actually have to work as a Tax Commissioner, speaking to the people about what he is going to change or give some lie about O.P.E.N. You did not even have the courage to show up at debates and when you did, you did not answer any questions. Congrats to Rockdale County, best advice sell you house and move out of the county. Let the crooks take it over and watch the school system fall, government collapse, businesses move away, and crime go up.

JayPee 1 year, 9 months ago

I think that Jason Hill ran a campaign that attempted to be more inclusive than his last unsuccessful run in 2008. Unfortunately, his quote, "If the African-American voters don't start paying attention to what is better for them and their community and not voting based on race or party, then we are never going to get the leadership we deserve in this county," was disappointing and insulting! I'm glad that instead of congratulating the winners, you took the classless road. Hopefully the voters will remember this in 2016, if you run again.

Chstew79 1 year, 9 months ago

Speaking the truth isn't classless. We have simply voted in Clayton/Dekalb style government. I guess we can take pride in the fact that we didn't elect a sheriff with federal indictments like they did in Clayton. Truly amazing.

Shockedatthecomments 1 year, 9 months ago

I am really shocked and appauled by most of the comments that have been posted. As a 15-year resident of Rockdale, quite frankly I am embarrassed by the tone and the clear undertone of them. Five years ago, the only elected officials of color in this county was on the city council. I don't recall any one accussing anyone of voting based on race when the entire slate of elected officials was white. It doesn't matter to me if you are black or white, what I am embarrased about is that people would so blatantly state that because those elected happen to be black that this county is done! What in the world? I admit that I was concerned when I received a campaign flyer that had a X over the faces of all of the republicans, who admittedly happen to be white. I didn't agree at all with the message being portrayed, but, found it interesting that the ballot did seem to be split along party lines and sadly, color. I don't vote just democratic nor do I vote just republican. I vote based on the issues and whom I believe will be the best representative for this county. Rockdale County is still one of the greatest counties in the state because of the residents who live here and demand that it be so...not just because of our elected officials. We must stay involved in the process here and not head for the hills.

disgustedwithpeople 1 year, 9 months ago

I am totally appalled by the posts that I have read. I thought that we were past all this racism but when I read post that says that people voted for the democrats because they are black is such a generalized statement. I happened to be African American and I didn't vote that way. It is crazy to even think that way. My family and I follow the local news, attend BOC meetings, and research before we make a decision on who we are going to vote for. I know some people voted that way, but I also know that so many people voted opposite for the same reasons. But everyone one does not vote for black candidates because they are black, and white candidates because they are white. That is really narrow-minded thinking. I guess I need to move out of Rockdale to avoid the blatant racism!!!!!

Sorry, you're wrong. Racism moved INTO Rockdale county - I've been here over 60 years and there was never any racism problems.

So long as we have the divider-in-chief in Washington, there will nowhere to move to to escape racism.

Did your "I didn't vote that way" mean you voted for white candidates, or you voted for black candidates but not because they were black? If it was the latter, then what's the difference? If not, congratulations for having an independent mind and voting qualifications instead of color.

Rockdale, like America, is now divided down the middle, and a house divided cannot stand, for long.

Imstrong 1 year, 9 months ago

Look at the end of the day We are Americans who have earned the right to VOTE. This is a priviledge and for anyone to think that people voted just because of color is ignorant. Now Mr. Hill, we know that your views did not go along with making sure that we have a future. Think about it, otherwise you would have not lost office in 2008 nor 2012. Your opinion did not matter then and doesnt matter now. The votes are in and the people have decided. Now whether you agree or not, just embrace it and support what is here. You live in Rockdale because that was your CHOICE. Now choose to help your county instead of hurting it. And to all the other political candidates that ran and lost, Do the right thing and help your county, take your pride out of it, and make suggestions to our elected officials on how to continue this fight against joblesslessness and a downfall in the housing market. It would behove you to join forces and work together instead of constantly trying to find ways to destroy one another.

rockinglatina 1 year, 9 months ago

"Racism moved into Rockdale County"!!!??? Are you serious... It never moved out!!!! This state is the birth of racism and hasn't matured yet. I'm know Oden and Nesbitt experienced quite a bit of it when first elected and it wasn't because they are Democrats. It's an embarrassment that it took till 2008 to elect the first black commissioner of this county when blacks have lived, worked and contributed to this county for hundreds of years. No equal representation for years!!!!! And you talk about racism just moving in..... I feel so blessed to have been raised colored blind and at the same time learn how to process people's ignorance.

Chstew79 1 year, 9 months ago

Should learn how to process your own...

trOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 1 year, 9 months ago

stop wasting time typing comments that 4-5 people will read and 1-2 will have the webos to respond. trolololololo

Oh yeah, and GIVE MORE MONEY TO NASA THEY MAKE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE FOR OUR COUNTRY TO GET THIS FAR....... EVERY GREAT LEAP IN TECHNOLOGY, SCIENCE,PHYSICS, AND EVERY PRODUCT THAT IS ON THE MARKET TODAY IS ALL IN THANKS TO NASA BEING THE INOVATOR OF TOMORROW.

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 9 months ago

There goes those small-minded people again....ALL DEMOCRATS ARE NOT AFRICAN AMERICAN!!!!