Elections Division investigator to be in Rockdale Friday

CONYERS — The Georgia Secretary of State’s Office confirmed late Thursday that an investigator from the Elections Division will be at the Rockdale Board of Elections and Voter Registration Friday.

Chris Perlera, deputy press secretary for the Secretary of State’s Office, said he could not elaborate on why the investigator will be in Rockdale. A phone call seeking information from the Board of Elections was not immediately returned.

The investigator will be in Rockdale on the same day that the Board of Elections will be counting the final ballots in Tuesday’s General Election. Most ballots were counted Tuesday night, but the ones that could ultimately decide the race for Rockdale County sheriff will be counted Friday.

According to Cynthia Welch, Rockdale’s elections supervisor, all military/civilian overseas, absentee by mail and provisional ballots will be counted today at 5 p.m. at the Board of Elections and Registration Office, 1400 Parker Road, Lobby C. The results will be announced at that time.

Prior to the count, the Board of Elections is determining how many of the 237 provisional ballots cast Tuesday will be rejected and how many will be accepted. Because the sheriff’s race was determined by a razor thin margin, those ballots will play a key role in determining who will be the next sheriff of Rockdale County.

In Tuesday’s balloting, incumbent Republican Sheriff Jeff Wigington received 49.98 percent of the vote to Democratic challenger Eric Levett’s 49.93 percent, a difference of 18 votes.

In an email Thursday, Welch said the BOE had not yet finalized the number of provisional ballots that would be accepted and counted.

“We are continuing to research and validate provisional ballots; therefore, we do not have a count on how many will be accepted and rejected,” Welch said. “We hope to have this number by (Friday) morning at the latest.”

Following Friday’s ballot count, the General Election results are set to be certified on Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Board of Elections Office. Once the results are certified, any candidate eligible for an automatic recount may make a written request to the Board of Elections.

According to the Secretary of State’s Office, a losing candidate who is within 1 percent of the winning candidate’s vote total may request a recount. The request must be made in writing within two days of the election certification.

Provisional voting allows voters to cast a ballot in person even if all the requirements for voting cannot be met at the time. There are three reasons voters may be allowed to cast a provisional ballot:

• The voter is unable to show one of the required forms of photo ID at the time of voting;

• The voter registered to vote by mail, did not provide identification at that time, and is unable to provide acceptable ID when voting for the first time in person; or

• The voter’s name does not appear on the list of registered voters in the precinct.

Provisional ballots are counted if the problem preventing the voter from casting a regular ballot is solved within two days after the election.

Comments

I can predict what will happen - based on the rest of America.. Those "18 votes" will magically appear from out of nowhere, and put Levett in office.

It's the democrat way!!!!

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 10 months ago

Ha, would that be such a bad thing??? I think not. Time to get him outta here and start fresh. He is a hypocrite especially when it benefits him! Tired of the favortism on Wiggington's part. There are so many officers out there that deserve promotions, yet Jeff's "cronies" get handed the promotions. Ridiculous! I am all for LEVETTE!!!! LET HIM WIN!!!

BrentLuNae 1 year, 10 months ago

Every person who is in a position of power, hire their buddies for jobs. They want people surrounded by them who they feel they can trust. Eddie Long has all his buddies in top positions at his church. I am sure Oden does the same thing. So, Jeff is no different than the rest. He surrounds himself with people he can trust. If Jason Hill was elected, a lot of Oden's staff would have been replaced with Jason's people. So, let that go.

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 10 months ago

No, I meant that there are officers there now that are much more qualified and deserve the positions that have been passed off to others due to their status with Jeff. Jes sayin', its harsh but true!!!

rupertII 1 year, 10 months ago

Eric is a good man Comes from very good parents. Unfortunately does not have the education needed to be Sheriff at this time. Why doesn't he use the next four years to attend college or at least Command College so he will know how to do the job the citizens of Rockdale deserve.

Zo 1 year, 10 months ago

Please post Why education matters now? Ferguson has more education & experience than both Levett & Wiggington. Wow, many months ago when their was a bigger fish, Ferguson, with top notch education not this online stuff Wiggington has it was education don't matter. I'm glad their investigating they need to do more investigating...it's though please post

Carole 1 year, 10 months ago

Obviously Eric doesn't need college to get our votes..He is now sheriff of Rockdale County!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!

Zo 1 year, 10 months ago

Please post The crossover will now cost u for real....less educated & less experience. "The chicken came home roost" cheaters never win please post

Zo 1 year, 10 months ago

Please post The crossover will now cost u for real....less educated & less experience. "The chicken came home to roost" cheaters never win please post

We heard you the first time.

Carole 1 year, 10 months ago

Actually it was 13 votes over Jeff's once the final count was tallied! Eric is now sheriff..! Yea....!

szbrown 1 year, 10 months ago

Looking forward to hearing more about why an investigator has been called here. Voter fraud possibly? Hmmm...stay tuned.

MLS 1 year, 10 months ago

There were 37,332 votes cast for sheriff and 37,879 for president but only around 36,700 for all the other offices up for election. I find it strange that almost 1,000 people would show up to vote and only vote in the presidential and sheriff elections but nothing else.

I counted the votes that were reported in the paper myself and had that very same question. Did that many people show up to only vote for the presidential election and the sheriff's election and none of the other local races? I would doubt that seriously. The number of votes in the other races were very close when added together. Something isnt right.

Keepitreal 1 year, 10 months ago

Its amazing when things dont go our way we are whining, I am a die heart Democrat but I did vote for Jeff, because he is the best of the two for the job, I dont think I am the only Democrat that voted that way,because if ALL Democrats went down the party line Jeff WOUL NOT be ahead , the race would be over and Eric would be the Sheriff although he is clearly not the better candidate. Stop this crap and think about the county. By the way we DO NOT want Marta in ROCKDALE. Bring Marta bring crime, if we need transportation in the city provide express ONLY. THINK ABOUT THE COUNTY!

MLS 1 year, 10 months ago

I am a Democrat that voted for Jeff, Jason Hill and Tom Harrison.

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 10 months ago

You know, I am a die hard Republican that went Democrat on the sherriff ballot only this election due to information I have, facts as to why I would even do that. Everyone in entitiled to their own opinions.. Thank God for that, I do enjoy that this forum allows us to express that!!!!

dpm72370 1 year, 10 months ago

Well said DestinyInRockdale! I did the same thing for the same reasons. I know many Republicans that did the same thing. A change is needed at RCSO!!

HOW does MARTA bring crime? Until you're prepared to answer that, you don't have a valid argument.

ShippShape 1 year, 10 months ago

2 votiing machines did not record any votes during the early voting! Over 2,000 votes were not counted. This changes the Elections. This was not fraud but a machine error. The State House and Senate must demand that there is a paper trail ballot from the machines to insure our Votes Count!!! Without a paper ballot from the machine there is no recount, there is no check and balance. In this case the Voice of the People has not been accurating counted in Rockdale County     Watch the You Tube Video on How easy fraud could be, although in this case it just appears as a Machine failure.
                                .http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 10 months ago

I find it disgusting that you all bad mouth Eric Levett. Seems to me that you all have not done your homework before passing judgement on him. Marta will NOT come to Conyers and it will NOT turn in Rockalb!!! He is the best out of the two and when he wins because the votes "magically" appear, you will all feel foolish for speaking the way you have of him. He is a wonderful man that will put his heart and soul into bettering Rockdale county. God bless us, him and Rockdale!!!! No matter who wins Jesus is King and God is in control!!!!

I just re-read the posts, and did not see the first one that "bad mouthed" Eric Levett. I only see concern that the voting process be carried out fairly, and LEGALLY.

Are YOU and your thin-skinned ilk the only human beings on the planet that are allowed to have an OPINION, or a CHOICE for who gets elected? If that's the way you think, then you live your life based on greed, or ignorance of human nature and the freedom of choice.

God IS in control, and I just hope you still say that if your candidate loses...but I somehow doubt it.

BrentLuNae 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think anyone is putting down Eric. He seems like a really nice guy. I just think they are saying between him and Jeff, Jeff is the better candidate for the job since he has years of experience and has been doing a great job thus far. Look at crime in DeKalb, Clayton, and Fulton and look at who is in charge in those 3 counties. A lot of people feel that since Eric is black, if he is elected, the same high crime will come here in Rockdale. No offense to Mr. Levett but I voted for the candidate who I felt had the experience and has been doing a good job for the county and keeping crime at bay. Therefore, I voted for Jeff. Do you want to live in DeKalb, Clayton or Fulton with all that crime? The small portions of DeKalb that are nice, one may not can afford to live there such as Dunwoody or the Northlake area. So, that leaves the rest of the county (DeKalb) which is VERY high in crime. You live here in Rockdale for a reason. If you did not like Rockdale and the low crime, you would probably be in one of those counties that I just mentioned. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have nothing against Eric as a person but at the forums he just did not seem like he had a lot of experience and I think he admitted that. He didn't have strong responses to the questions. We cannot get caught up in skin color when it comes to candidates. We must look at the candidates' experience and their proven record of success and give them our vote. If they do a re-count and Eric is elected, I pray that crime does not go up.

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 10 months ago

@BrentLuNae Ok, I understand where you are coming from, but in the same sense Jeff did not have much experience when he started!!! He has gained alot of knowledge over the time he has been in office. But with that said... I am a long time resident of Rockdale county, 31 years... I have seen this county change massively the past 10 years and look who has been in office. Im just saying, he hasn't helped the situation as far as the crime rates, ect. Let someone new come in and prove that things can change/improve... I do hope when he is elected that the crime rate decreases and he proves that he was able to keep his word. I do appreciate your input. Kind of hit on some things that I hadn't thought of... I do not base this on the color of skin...no one bit... I am a republican that for the first time ever went democrat on this ballot for sherriff. @Emo... as for your comment... I wasn't referring to this forum as to the bad mouthing, but others, stating that Eric was a criminal, he was ignorant...etc. Its just sad that people do not know him and say things like that. This election has been pretty intense...to say the least. And YES, regardless of who wins, Jeff or Eric... GOD WILL ALWAYS BE N CONTROL and thats where my faith always has and will be! I have no bad feelings towards Jeff, and I know him on a somewhat personal basis, I pray for him and his family during this time. I know its got to be scary thinking about change for either of the candidates. I have the utmost respect for him!!

JayPee 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow! So the Republicans from the State want to count the votes? LMAO!

Dems have been whining for 40 years that their votes were "disfranchised"...but only when they DIDN'T win.

Zo 1 year, 10 months ago

Please post Emo, we still haven't won. And wait when the investigation prove this paper has been acting unethically you will feel what it feels like to have to wait in line to comment. Please post

I thought posted a while back that you are a republican? Lie?

Zo 1 year, 10 months ago

Please post Emo, sorry, but I don't vote down party line. I look at who's most qualified, Blk or Wht. Speaking of lie, I see u didn't ask rockdale citizen to tell about their lie.Are you part of the lie?.please post

ctownslimm 1 year, 10 months ago

Zo, you said you were a republican before. I remember it.

heresyafacts 1 year, 10 months ago

I'd like to know more about the story of the two early-voting machines that did not record votes. Is this true? If so, would those 2000+ lost votes have been enough to change the winner in any of the races? Have there been any recorded problems during Tuesday's vote with the machines? I know at my precinct, one of the machines was having problems and was being worked on.

johnq123 1 year, 10 months ago

The reason for the high count in the Sheriff race is because both candidates are local. The hometown folks were not familiar with both candidates in the other slots.

Political Neophytes...tick to watching MSNBC and FOX

kt 1 year, 10 months ago

Good Lord. If you're going to cheat, at least make a decent attempt at it.

I think the election results should be nullified and everyone required to re vote.

What's funny to me is that the only democrat running in this county that I even halfway liked was Levett. I am fine if he takes sherrif even though I would rather see wiggington. The rest of those guys are shams, clowns, and borderline criminals who cant get a normal job so they figure out a way to get elected by people with no brain. It is ridiculous. Look for Oden and Hadley to start getting serious about spreading the tax money out to freinds and family.

onmywayout 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope for the best especially since I can't sell my house but I'm a realist...Levett isn't competant to hold such an important office. The others are just unfit and as an independent, I don't understand how Oden and his buddy have been able to hold the office this long.

Hoping to see a billboard that rallies those who moved to Rockdale for it's beauty,low crime and conservative views to "UNITE". Also hoping the Republican part will reinvent themselves so that people don't feel like they have to choose between the lesser of 2 evils.

EK_84 1 year, 10 months ago

I would perfer Wigington over Levitt for Sheriff. Wigington being a life-long Rockdale County resident, with years of experience in law enforcement, and serving the people to the best of his ability. Other than the Sheriff's race... we've got the Tax Commissioner's race that could be subject to recount.

Another race that got my attention was the Probate Judge race between Lillis Brown and Charles Mays. I believe Brown has truly served the people of Rockdale County to the best of her ability, with her years of experience in the judical system, as well as her volunteer work and contributions to the community. I read a while back in the Citizen about the Georgia General Assembly proposing making all elected judge positions non-partisan, which I'm 100% in agreement with. Like the Superior Court judges, we'd be seeing Probate, Magistrate, Juvenille, and State Court judge positions becoming non-partisan.

If Wigington should go back in... it would remain to be seen if he'll be seeking re-election in 2016.

As for the electronic voting machines that have been in place for the last decade... I agree with the need for a paper-trail ballot, to ensure that the elections process is fair to the voters, and that voters aren't falling victim to voter fraud. This is an issue that the Georgia General Assembly will have to take up.

Carole 1 year, 10 months ago

Thank goodness for Election Division Investigators..Eric Levett has rightfully won the election for Sheriff of Rockdale County...! I am so proud to have voted for him this election, and will do it again...God bless you and yours, Eric...

Zo 1 year, 10 months ago

please post I think they need to investigate the 2012 primary & 2008 general election. Sheriff's race need some looking into from an external source please post

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 10 months ago

Eric is just as competent as he can be to hold this office!!!! The same as Wigington had just his police experience when he first ran years ago. And as all Sheriffs do....they have to go to Sheriffs School. When Wigington was voted in back then he had no experience, but he learned what he needed to, and given the chance he did his job. His time is now up and now Levett will do the same thing, given the chance to do so!!!! White or black the rules are still the same. Sad people are so extremely judgemental. By the same measure you judge, God will judge you. So don't forget that.... For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:2. Now there's some truth for you!!!! :-)