Levett wins race for sheriff

CONYERS — Democrat Eric Levett emerged the winner in the Rockdale County Sheriff’s race Friday night, taking the election from incumbent Republican Jeff Wigington by a hair-thin margin.

Levett’s election completes a Democratic sweep in Tuesday’s General Election in which Democrats also replaced Republicans in the Magistrate Court, Probate Court, tax commissioner and coroner races. This was Levett’s first attempt at elected office.

The final count of provisional and mail-in ballots from military personnel and overseas civilians reversed the unofficial results tabulated Tuesday night in the General Election. At the end of Tuesday night, Wigington had an 18-vote edge over Levett. Friday night, Levett had a margin of 34 votes.

Final vote counts were 18,726, or 49.96 percent for Wigington and 18,760, or 50.04 percent for Levett.

Friday night Levett said his victory was a matter of faith.

“Once again as I stated to everyone before, I stepped out in faith and I always believed that I would be victorious,” Levett said.

Levett, who is a sergeant with the Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office, also thanked all voters who turned out in the election — whether they voted for him or his opponent.

“I have Rockdale County’s best interest at heart, and we are planning to serve Rockdale County well,” he said.

Wigington, who was seeking his fourth term in office, reiterated his earlier belief that the race would be close. When asked if he would request a recount, he said it was too early to make a decision.

“I’m going to do some talking and checking and talk to the family and make a decision,” he said.

According to the Secretary of State’s Office, a losing candidate who is within 1 percent of the winning candidate’s vote total may request a recount. The request must be made in writing within two days of the election certification.

The General Election results were set to be certified Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Board of Elections Office. Once the results are certified, any candidate eligible for an automatic recount may make a written request to the Board of Elections. The recount would likely take place on Monday, despite the fact that it is a holiday.

The process of counting the provisional and military and overseas civilian ballots at the Board of Elections and Registration Office took about five hours. About 100 candidate supporters and community residents were on hand to witness the vote counting, though the crowd waned as the night grew longer.

The count was conducted by Supervisor of Elections Cynthia Welch, members of the Board of Elections, and members of the Board of Elections staff. Jason O’Toole, a member of the investigative division of the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office, was there as an observer.

According to William Todd, chairman of the Board of Elections, there were 237 provisional ballots cast on Tuesday. Of that number, 166 were rejected for a variety of reasons, including the voter failed to provide identification, the voter was a convicted felon, or the voter was not registered to vote in Rockdale County.

“So you can see that a lot of scrutiny was given here to make sure things were done right,” said Todd.

There were 103 mail-in votes from military personnel that had to be manually counted Friday night.

The results of the military votes were announced first, followed by the results of the provisional ballots at about 10:40 p.m.

When the absentee military ballots were announced, Levett took the lead by 13 votes. The provisional ballots increased his lead to 34.

Comments

Tlevett1 1 year, 11 months ago

Elmo: There is a new Sheriff in town Yay!

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 11 months ago

heck yeah! team levett all the way... prayers for jeff and his family.... as u know change is hard. Prove all the ones against you wrong, Eric, as you know you will be under scruntiny. I know you will do an amazing job

johnq123 1 year, 11 months ago

I congratulate both candidates for being true gentlemen and running a respectful campaign.. Kudos also to: Brown /Mayes, Hadley/Ray, Harrison /Nesbitt, Levett/Coggins and I will be in prayer over Aten's divisive ran campaign .

Dump Wigington. Congratulations Eric, way to go.

patriotdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Exactly what has Wigington done or not done to make you want to "Dump" him? What are the issues, except for the fact that black people vote for blacks and white people vote for whites. No need to be nasty...

I'm white and I would vote for Levett over Wigington any day. It's not about race in my situation. Wigington needs to be dumped for multiple reasons. Good riddance to him and better luck to Levett.

jamesfulmer 1 year, 11 months ago

RECOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND NOT IN THE BACK ROOM OF SOME"FUNERAL HOME!!!!!!!!!!!

This comment is uncalled for. It helps no one.

onmywayout 1 year, 11 months ago

ThANks sheriff wiggintom for a well done!!!

patriotdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Cudos to you!!! You sound like a TRUE American!!!

AwaitingChange 1 year, 11 months ago

Spell check and a bit of proofreading would be a bad idea either. BYE!

AwaitingChange 1 year, 11 months ago

You "special" behavior rubbed on me that quickly. SMH...It "wouldn't be a bad idea if I had orginially ingore your comment. Again...BYE!

amusedatyourstupidity 1 year, 11 months ago

I've been rather disturbed by the overt racism exhibited by Injustice for all. Their obvious racist comments show their lack of education and small minded stupidity. I truly hope that they follow through with their threat to move, and choose another county. Eric Levett is an intelligent, fair man who cares nothing for skin color. Thank you injustice for all for making the white people who live here appear uneducated and back woods.

Please explain what was racist in my comments. Not one implies skin color, Just facts. Not facts of mine, but of the government. You assumed. there you go making statements with out facts.

wonderwhy 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't sweat it IFA . . . . They always use "racism" as an excuse for everything they are questioned on. The problem is they even do not know the definition of "racism". If they did they would see that the last real example of "racism" was Hitler. I haven't seen any extermination attempts in my 63 years. Bigotry . . . Yes, it runs rampet on both sides. But then again how is one to stop being a bigot when they think they are owed everything and pack an attitude like most do. That makes all bigots all over again. It something that will never stop.

They did make one true statement however. Eric Levette and his family are fine people. You will never see him "act out" like a Victor Hill, or make decisions based upon skin color. I have known him and George and Grote for a number of years and you will not find finer people. Their family has been a name and part of this community for much longer than most that think they own it now.

DawgsFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Must be the day to gang up on you. I'm curious now, what did you say?

onmywayout 1 year, 11 months ago

Unfortunately the choice is likely to walk away and suffer with repercussions of horrible credit (I know one family that did ) or stay and pray for a quick 4 years so we can get the county back on track. A part of me refuses to let lazy, incompentt government take away the county ive grown to love!! Amazingly I'm undecided about what to do. Bad credit doesn't sound all that bad when I think about what's hAppend with rockdale. Thanks Sheriff Wigginton for a job well done!!! I am African American and if my husband and I have to remains here,I will be volunteering with the republican party next election!

Check your grammar. And whatever you're drinking, lighten up.

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 11 months ago

Sad people are so mean and ignorant!!!! Wheter Eric or anyone else, it was time for change period!!!! A race has NOTHING to do that!!!! And your name should have been a_dummy_for_all_to_hear_from. You are a disgrace and trust me God doesn't like ugly and you WILL have to pay for every mean and foul thng you ever do and say.

Take your blinders off. Not one comment,was racist.You took as a black or white comment. You must see a problem with a certain ethnic background.

noyoudidnt 1 year, 11 months ago

injustice...you need to check yourself!!! I am a white woman and I was offended by what you wrote!! I can only imagine how black people feel!!!! Just for your information, I asked several Sheriff's deputies their thoughts on who I should vote for and they ALL ( regardless of skin color) said " it's time for a change" So get off your lazy, racist behind and ASK people who work for the person that you are voting for to see what they want!

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 11 months ago

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:2. Sad there's even still people in the world like this....a monkey....really!!?? I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone to be calling you stupid, dummy or just a straight up jackass. People are human and have feelings. That was really a foul statement. You have a right to how you feel, but though education you learn something called tact. You don't say everything you think all the time....but it seems as though you missed that lesson!!!! Just sad and ridiculous....just the kind of people the world could do without....black or white.....SMH!!!! :-(

So, the new sheriffs cousin is the coroner...who runs a funeral home...will their new slogan be,

"YOU STAB'M, WE NAB'M, THEN HE SLAB'M"?

This will be a circus worth watching...break out the popcorn!

Elmo, there is no call for that. That is just plain rude and shows a great deal of lack of respect. How about "You snuff 'em, We stuff 'em?"

Outcry 1 year, 11 months ago

A circus?? Come on man! Don't you think that's a bit low and disrespectful? I know both of these gentlemen, and they are hard working citizens who love their county. It's an awesome thing that they want to contribute their talents to their hometown. You really need to check yourself before making stupid comments like that. It only shows your ignorance and unwillingness to give people a chance.

wonderwhy 1 year, 11 months ago

Not any different now than most of the coroners currently in the state of Georgia's that are not medical examiner or GBI counties. The majority are funeral directors or associated with funeral homes.

AwaitingChange 1 year, 11 months ago

Hmmm...another "dull knife" in the drawer. Do your research and post the correct facts. Ooops, I forgot "Elmo" tickles for a living or perhaps pops popcorn.

mrbill 1 year, 11 months ago

Diversity - ethnic variety, as well as socioeconomic and gender variety, in a group, society, or institution. To the poster in the other article that said it is the black man's time and now we finally have diversity. I beg to differ. What we have here in Rockdale County government is a complete lack of diversity. I will continue to conserve that which I have. I refuse to give up my home to the Neighborhood Redistribution Program, and I wil be locked and loaded and ready to protect all that which I have worked hard to earn.

Motohead 1 year, 11 months ago

"Time for a change"? Based on what? You got tired of proven, experienced, competent leadership? Or did you simply vote for whoever had a "D" next to their name on the ballot, regardless of experience or qualifications?

Once again, whip out that old racism card every time something doesn't go your way. Or in this case, even when it DOES go your way. It's getting really, really old.

Just do me a favor: please don't follow me to whatever county I end up in, after the honest, tax-paying citizens have left and the county, the school system, and home values have all dried up to a husk of their former self. You wanted Rockdale County; its yours. Don't follow us. Live in this nest that you've crapped in.

Rockdalepeace2012 1 year, 11 months ago

waiting for my comment to post. it's been 3 1/2 hours

Victorious1 1 year, 11 months ago

Elmo: Be careful when you eat that popcorn, the coroner may have to pay you a visit! LOL

All this god fearing talk, Ever read the bible? BELIEVE, BLESSED ? (it's a wonderful thing) And you voted for who?

Victorious1 1 year, 11 months ago

These post are so entertaining, please keep them coming. LOL I get a kick out of seeing how ignorant some people are. Haha

Victorious1 1 year, 11 months ago

Elmo: you might want to be careful with that popcorn, we might have to call the coroner! Hahahahahaha! Tha just cracked me up! Oh by the way...the Levett men are not cousins, they are uncle and nephew... Get your facts straight please. :-)))

patriotdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Whatever, you are ALL related somehow, bro...

the_shadow 1 year, 11 months ago

I know both Jeff and Eric. The deputies of Rockdale County are ready to see Jeff go! Eric is a resident of the county and a good man. Good bye Jeff. I'll pay for a Uhaul if you need one to move your stuff out!