Levett wins sheriff's race

Rockdale County Sheriff-elect Eric Levett and his  wife  Lavette Levett show their enthusiasm after learning the results of the vote count Friday night. Levett won after a count of provisional and military mail-in absentee ballots gave him a 34-vote margin over incumbent Sheriff Jeff Wigington. Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

Rockdale County Sheriff-elect Eric Levett and his wife Lavette Levett show their enthusiasm after learning the results of the vote count Friday night. Levett won after a count of provisional and military mail-in absentee ballots gave him a 34-vote margin over incumbent Sheriff Jeff Wigington. Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

CONYERS -- Democrat Eric Levett emerged the winner in the Rockdale County Sheriff's race Friday night, taking the election from incumbent Republican Jeff Wigington by a hair-thin margin.

Levett's election completes a Democratic sweep in Tuesday's General Election in which Democrats also replaced Republicans in the Magistrate Court, Probate Court, tax commissioner and coroner races. This was Levett's first attempt at elected office.

The final count of provisional and mail-in ballots from military personnel and overseas civilians reversed the unofficial results tabulated Tuesday night in the General Election. At the end of Tuesday night, Wigington had an 18-vote edge over Levett. Friday night, Levett had a margin of 34 votes.

Final vote counts were 18,726, or 49.96 percent for Wigington and 18,760, or 50.04 percent for Levett.

Friday night Levett said his victory was a matter of faith.

"Once again as I stated to everyone before, I stepped out in faith and I always believed that I would be victorious," Levett said.

Levett, who is a sergeant with the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office, also thanked all voters who turned out in the election -- whether they voted for him or his opponent.

"I have Rockdale County's best interest at heart, and we are planning to serve Rockdale County well," he said.

Wigington, who was seeking his fourth term in office, reiterated his earlier belief that the race would be close. When asked if he would request a recount, he said it was too early to make a decision.

"I'm going to do some talking and checking and talk to the family and make a decision," he said.

According to the Secretary of State's Office, a losing candidate who is within 1 percent of the winning candidate's vote total may request a recount. The request must be made in writing within two days of the election certification.

The General Election results were set to be certified Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Board of Elections Office. Once the results are certified, any candidate eligible for an automatic recount may make a written request to the Board of Elections. The recount would likely take place on Monday, despite the fact that it is a holiday.

The process of counting the provisional and military and overseas civilian ballots at the Board of Elections and Registration Office took about five hours. About 100 candidate supporters and community residents were on hand to witness the vote counting, though the crowd waned as the night grew longer.

The count was conducted by Supervisor of Elections Cynthia Welch, members of the Board of Elections, and members of the Board of Elections staff. Jason O'Toole, a member of the investigative division of the Georgia Secretary of State's Office, was there as an observer.

According to William Todd, chairman of the Board of Elections, there were 237 provisional ballots cast on Tuesday. Of that number, 166 were rejected for a variety of reasons, including the voter failed to provide identification, the voter was a convicted felon, or the voter was not registered to vote in Rockdale County.

"So you can see that a lot of scrutiny was given here to make sure things were done right," said Todd.

There were 103 mail-in votes from military personnel that had to be manually counted Friday night.

The results of the military votes were announced first, followed by the results of the provisional ballots at about 10:40 p.m.

When the absentee military ballots were announced, Levett took the lead by 13 votes. The provisional ballots increased his lead to 34.

Comments

Carole 1 year, 9 months ago

StrongYEA!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS ERIC LEVETT..I KNEW PATIENCE AND PRAYER WOULD PAY OFF...GOD IS ALWAYS IN CONTROL; HE ALWAYS COMES THROUGH AT THE RIGHT TIME...ERIC WILL PREVAIL AND HE WILL HANDLE WHATEVER COMES HIS WAY...HAVE FAITH, PEOPLE...

Zo 1 year, 9 months ago

Please post. Chicken came home to roost. Crossover vote came back to bite u republicans. I think they need to investigate 2008 race straight Dem ticket & sheriff odd man still in. Possible cheating scheme didn't work this time.....investigate 2008 race too. Please post

Lorenzo 1 year, 9 months ago

did you play with plastic bags as a child? The problem with you posting is that the rest of us have to read your drivel. Go to Wal-Mart and use up your EBT Card or go pick up a free phone somewhere and then return to your hovel and wait on your government check.

seems I remember youu being the one that said Wiggington would win because Levett was a puppet. Seems you tune has changed a bit now. Guess Levett was the better man.

Zo 1 year, 9 months ago

Please post, I still feel that way. Levett didn't do anything extra to win his name got him the win. I think my constant protest of him being a puppet made the ballot counter do the right thing & pulled the extra votes out of the desk & gave them to Levett.

Now I hope you also remember that I said the crossover vote will come back to bite you as well. The most popular, but less qualified will win, Levett. But I don't see you commenting on that. Y'all were so afraid of Ferguson, the most educated & qualified, that you took your chances on Levett well no you have him. Samething with Hilary & Obama back in 08. Yall were afraid of Hilary, so you picked Obama now you have 8yrs of him & in 4 more years you will have 8yrs of Hilary.

Also, I said the paper has been bias in it's reporting and now with the possibility that the paper might loss their legal status with the county I see more positive comments. AND your buddies emo & vpub are nowhere to be found. You might want to start listening to me.

I need my own section in the paper and we call it the "Truth"!!! please post

Good thing I'm getting out of Rockdale, my departure won't come soon enough after this November 6 mess. Rockdale has had two chances to improve itself, once on July 31 with T-SPLOST and now on November 6 with the general election, and everyone voted for a continual downward spiral.

patriotdad 1 year, 9 months ago

My family as well. Me, my business, my taxes, my community involvement. All going to Oconee County. These people are a plague. I have seen it before in DeKalb...

1ayk 1 year, 9 months ago

You moving toward or away from MARTA?

Away from the specific agency, but toward a transit-rich city. My return to Atlanta and Rockdale is largely dependent on expansion of transit options.

Lorenzo 1 year, 9 months ago

Sheriff Wigington, thank you for a job well done. You can leave office knowing you served the people of Rockdale County well. Eric Levett, welcome, I know that you will be equally diligent in protecting the citizens of Rockdale County and supporting the employees of the Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff's Office again gets a leader that came from within and knows the job and the issues. At least we are fighting off the Dekalb influence with one of our elected officials.

mark 1 year, 9 months ago

Is anyone really surprised. Sounds very similar to the last Atlanta Mayoral race. You know Atlanta the second most corrupt city government in the country right behind the one our President hails from.

newrogirl 1 year, 9 months ago

You REALLY need to get a grip! I'm sorry that "life" as you know it has changed.....but it has. You are no longer large and in charge. Rather than fight it with nasty, accusatory comments - here's a tip: try to get to know people and let your OWN mind form opinions. Stop letting Rush and Sean TELL you how to think. Rush and Sean have money to carry them wherever they want to go and to whatever situations they wish to put themselves in. You, my friend.....don't have that luxury!

patriotdad 1 year, 9 months ago

I have gotten to "Know People"... And these people who support entitlement, government dependent leadership will have the same fate as DeKalb and Fulton. Crime, poor schools, property depreciation, and a lower quality of life. Please give me ONE example of a black community that has thrived, prospered, created jobs. And, how do you know how much money people make. And by the way, I am not your friend...

no sister, rockdale has changed not me. I DON'T DEPEND ON THE GOVERNMENT.FACT ARE FACTS.

mark 1 year, 9 months ago

Get a grip .......just wondering why Obama lost every state that required picture ID to vote? Do you believe that it is just a strange coincidence or that there are that many Democrats who can not get a picture ID or perhaps that all of these provisional votes are BS. If you are so stupid that you forgot your ID then you are not bright enough to vote.

concerned53 1 year, 9 months ago

Not so fast Rockdale Citizen and celebrators. This may not be over yet. Stand by for more news.

kt 1 year, 9 months ago

You've got a Levett for Sheriff and a Levett for coroner. There is a whole bunch of dirty work that's about to get covered up, real easy.

newrogirl 1 year, 9 months ago

What proof do you have for this statement? It should not be allowed that someone's biases can be stated just anywhere, anyhow!

newrogirl 1 year, 9 months ago

DeKalb just recently had a white Police Chief and his brother as the Fire Chief. Does that mean that THEY were involved in a "bunch of dirty work" too? Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!

1ayk 1 year, 9 months ago

I worked in DeKalb Government for almost thiry years. The reason they have certain whites in certain positions is two fold. One, tokens, two they are better than most blacks who have attempted to be in charge. It is a fact look it up!

kellygreen 1 year, 9 months ago

Out of all the democrats him and Mays are the weakest.

I guess the O-brothers will give the $400,000 back to the sheriff's budget now.

Conyers_Resident 1 year, 9 months ago

The commissioners will if they do what is right for the citizens of Rockdale County. Or.... Maybe you've decided the additional deputies are no longer needed now that Mr. Levett will be Sherrif??

jewelsc003 1 year, 9 months ago

Sheriff Wigington was a wonderful Sheriff but Levett will do a wonderful job as well. He is not dirty or corrupt he is a honest man that comes from with in the department. If you ask Wigington and all of the employees in the department I bet they will all say you have nothing to worry about with Levett!

washme2x 1 year, 9 months ago

Congratulations SHERIFF Levett, stay blessed and clean, because you know they are going to be watching you from the skies above. And not just The almighty, but all the negative folks aswell. At the end of the day GOD has the final say so, which was just proven!

Now for all that have nothing but negativity and hate in your heart, you can either get on your knees and talk to the almighty or MOVE!

g64 1 year, 9 months ago

You're right, moving is the answer.

1ayk 1 year, 9 months ago

Why move? Liberals especially the urban ones will eventually find you. Raised in DeKalb and worked there for over 30 years. Here they came and look at it now. Moved to Rockdale, here they came and look at it now. If no one would move they would have no place to stay or have influence. Thanks to this president, the country is more divided than ever. There is no solution as minorities become majorities. When this happens and it will,, they will not call the new minorities minorities. Just because you rule now, doesn't make life better for you or us.

patriotdad 1 year, 9 months ago

We will MOVE, you can have OUR scraps...

BrentLuNae 1 year, 9 months ago

Good, patriotdad!! Move!! It is white people like you who have caused all of this to happen! If you had not shown black folk so much HATRED in the first place, then more blacks would have crossed over and voted another way and the elected officials would be a nice mixture of both races or all the incumbents would have gotten voted back in. But your racist attitude caused a lot of blacks to vote strictly for blacks to prove a point to the racist whites like you. Your comments are laced with hatred. I feel sorry for you. You are a good ol boy who has had the rug snatched out from under you and you do not know what to do. Fear is a bugga bear!!! You are scared!! Yes, move!!! And in a couple of years where ever you move to, guess what, you will be dealing with this, too. The black race is growing and growing and black folk don't need no invitro to create offspring. Get over it!!! If you have kids, one of them will probably bring home a black kid one day as a friend. Get over it!! Have you ever tried to get to know any black people? Yes, there are thugs out there in the black race and I can't stand them either. But there are a lot of upstanding blacks, too, but the media does not show that. You act like your race is pure and perfect! It ain't! Get over it!!! Do you honestly think you can put your house up for sale on Monday and move on Tuesday? You might be sitting here in this county for the next year. Get over it! Get a life. Go to church tomorrow and see if you can remove some of that hatred, please!!!!

Conyers_Resident 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree, congratulations to Sherrif Elect Lovett. But I fail to see how God was involved in endorsing one man over the other. The citizens voted and Mr. Levett got the most votes.

And what is it with so many folks who want everyone who doesn't agree with them, to move out of Rockdale?

As far of Sheriff Elect Lovett, I wish him every success. I think he is a good man, and will as he has indicated, do his best for all of the citizens of Rockdale County.

Lorenzo 1 year, 9 months ago

Sounds like the hate is coming from you. Not so cleverly disguised as piety. Hypocrite.

I am on my knees about this. I promise. Levett is going to be fine but I do not know why God allowed Oden and those guys to take over. I dont want to be negative. I really dont. So I am praying.

g64 1 year, 9 months ago

This has nothing to do with Democrat verses Republican. If each of the candidates were from the opposite party, the race results would still be the same. We have an extremely ugly Rockdale County.

Zo 1 year, 9 months ago

Please post. Levett I really hope u get the educated likes of Ferguson on ur team. U are law enforcement & u know those things they said about Ferguson is not true. U quoted the President with "also thanked all voters who turned out in the election -- whether they voted for him or his opponent." and the President also stated he would meet with Romney on some of his ideas.

Faith is good to have, but hard work is desired when serving the public, especially law enforcement. This win was popularity, because I really didn't see u challenge anyone ur name spoke volumes which is cool (it is what it is). However, u are in charge of our quality of life, so again stay humble & get yourself a strong core team ( not just folks asking for favors). You are only as good as the company u keep.

I pray with all due respect, that this Dem team stay humbled and consider others. FYI, Aten "humbleness"!!

1ayk 1 year, 9 months ago

Money for a Chief Deputy, which is not needed, could be used to increase the deputies needed.

What caused the problem between Wiggleswoth and the last chief deputy? Recount? Talk about bums who are sore losers.

Levett will need a chief deputy to show him how to run the department.

sdmoore 1 year, 9 months ago

Congratulations Sheriff Levett! It's the Black man's time and also a change for real diversity in this town. I never would have imagined this twenty years ago but here it is. God bless you and your family. It couldnt have happened to nicer, more wonderful people with God fearing values and community purpose and pride.

"It's the Black man's time..." <- Thanks for keeping racism alive and well in Rockdale instead of trying to get rid of it. Voting for race is one of the absolute worst methods in choosing who to vote for, and it tends to blind people to the real issues, like fiscal responsibility, something this county hasn't had much of in the past four years. It shouldn't be one race's "time" over another, it should be the people's time.

BrentLuNae 1 year, 9 months ago

Now, let's pray that crime does not go up. Look at DeKalb, Clayton and Fulton. They are all 3 riddled with crime. Black folk are in charge in all 3 counties but the crime is out of control!!! I don't care who is in charge as long as the crime is kept at bay but let's face it, the proof is in the pudding! Now, let's see what Eric can do these next 4 years or if we will find ourselves in a mess like DeKalb. I am sorry to be cynical but we need to stop looking at skin color and vote for the BEST candidate and Jeff has proven himself to be successful. It ain't NO CRIME in my neighorbood and I like it that way!!!! Crime here is NOTHING like the other 3 counties. So, if anybody can explain all of this to me, please raise your hand.

mrbill 1 year, 9 months ago

Real diversity includes all races. Rockdale County leadership is not at all diverse. But hey, you enjoy your time black man. As for the rest of us, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Peace

"its the Black man's time"..nice . And you want us to think only white people are racist?

Good Luck Eric youre going to need it. Pick your chief deputy wisely because you will need someone that can lead this department and show you how to run it.

JustaRegularGUy 1 year, 9 months ago

The Levett's have been around several generations, and unless they changed, they're good people. A lot likely more interested in Rockdale that the neophytes . If I ran for office and won, I'd want a fair shake, and for people to give me a chance before they started singing gloom and doom, and so I'll give Eric and the other new folks the same courtesy. For our own good, I hope they all succeed. For those who ran because they didn't like the way the incumbents ran things, remember all the things you didn't like, and don't do the same things yourselves. And remember, you all are involved in service industries, and employees are your greatest asset. Find out who works and who doesn't before you so wholesale house cleaning. Replacing one demon with another doesn't help anyone.

Christopher 1 year, 9 months ago

He had Rockdale from his comment about running because the majority of Rockdale was black and he was going to start investigating all these officers that are mean to black people. Couldn't have thought of a better campaign move for Rockdale County.

patriotdad 1 year, 9 months ago

So, God determines the outcome of elections? And here I am thinking my vote really counts. I grew up in DeKalb County, before the county became corrupt with Democratic leaders. Before the crime, before property values plummeted. Before BLACK people lived there. Rockdale County WILL share the same fate as DeKalb. I had hoped to allow my children to grow up in what was once a great place to live. My house goes on the market on Monday…

patriotdad 1 year, 9 months ago

Really? You have to remind the Sheriff to "stay clean"? Shouldn't that be a given? You people are inherently corrupt, inherently liars, and inherently violent criminals. "From the skies above"? What the hell does that mean? You NEED white people to stabilize your inept ability to govern, create jobs, and maintain peace. And you are telling us to MOVE? You’re an idiot…

JustaRegularGUy 1 year, 9 months ago

The Levitt's have been in Rockdale for generations, and unless they've changed, they're good people. They do at least live in and are committed to the community. If I were elected, I would want people to give me a chance to prove myself before they started singing gloom and doom, so that's what I intend to do with Eric and the rest of the newcomers. To the newcomers, I'd say remember the things that you thought were wrong with how the "establishment" office holders ran things, and don't do the same thing yourself. The public wants the job done honestly, correctly and unbiasedly so don't let us down. To the Republicans, this should be a wake-up call. Your party is going to have to change, be more inclusive, and appeal to a broader base than you do now, or you're dead locally and nationally.

marty 1 year, 9 months ago

I remeber when Dekalb county got their 1st black sheriff Sidney Dorsey .It was a glorious day in Dekalb county. Then when Sidney was beat in the next election by Derwin Brown, Sidney Dorsey assembled an assasination squad and had Derwin Brown gunned down in driveway. What a great example Dekalbs 1st Black sheriff set for other aspiring blacks.

disgustedwithpeople 1 year, 9 months ago

Good luck Eric on your new title!!!

Remember back when... ROCKDALE was a nice place to live and raise a family. Then came..... the facts.

elcid81 1 year, 9 months ago

Sad day and time for Rockdale... We pray for the friends we left behind.. We wish the best for Jeff and Beth and thank them for their faithful service... Terrible when people vote because of color with a total disregard of consequence....

rockdale so great next time you go to work. LOL . LEAVE YOUR HOUSE UNLOCKED, KEYS IN CAR. It was like that before..... ROACHES took over..

beautiful_cher 1 year, 9 months ago

You're talking about when rockdale County was that wholesome county, where the kids were so wholesome and uninfluenced by black people that they all were running around spreading syphillis to one another? Did black people make that happen?

rbsgirl 1 year, 9 months ago

How is it going to turn out with Eric Levett as Sheriff and his brother Greg Levett as a co-owner at Levett Bonding? I think this should be investigated for a direct conflict of interest. I am sure all the other bonding companies are concerned about this as well. I guess one brother will lock them up, one will bond them out and one can prounounce them deceased before the "family" buries them.

Zo 1 year, 9 months ago

Please post...Sounds like the great Levett planted his harvest wisely. With those smarts the county need to name a building, street, something to honor the founding Levett!! pls post

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 9 months ago

The roaches are the ones the voters got rid of....THANK YOU JESUS!!!

mrbill 1 year, 9 months ago

I am conservative because I have something to conserve. I will not leave my home to the Neighborhood Redistribution Program. I will fight anyone who tries to take what I have earned. I am locked and loaded and ready to do what is necessary to protect all that which I have aquired.

Victorious1 1 year, 9 months ago

These comments are sooooo entertaining, you know you have arrived when folks start gossiping about you! Rock on Levett family! :-)

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 9 months ago

The Levetts have served this county well for MANY years and have ALWAYS been great people and a very loving family. Don't worry Levetts, God is your only judge. These people can spit all the ugly at you they want to, but trust me they WILL pay. The Power of prayer is a Beast!!!! Sadly it was some of their very own that cross voted you in!!!! Speaks volumes if you ask me....

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 9 months ago

Well to ALL who are leaving and to ALL the naysayers....BYE!!!! :-)

mrbill 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not leaving. I plan to conserve (conservative) and protect what I have earned through hard work and effort. You may not have my home for the Neighborhood Redistribution Program. I am locked and loaded and ready to fight for what is mine.

DayTimeVisitor 1 year, 9 months ago

Congratulations to the Newly Elected Sheriff Eric Levett. And, Thank You to Sheriff Jeff Wigington for a job well done. While I did support Jeff in this election, my choice was based on leadership experience. I have known Eric for quite a long time. He and his family is well respected and established in Rockdale County. Moreover, Eric is an honest and hard-working man who grew up here and understands where we have been, where we are, and hopefully has visions of where we need to be for all of us to rebuild bridges torn down by many people in this heated election. I truly believe he will serve this county with what he believes to be the best interest of all citizens at heart. My hope is that everyone will allow him to grow into this office without requiring him to spin his wheels justifying every aspect of his office. Unwarranted accusations will only take his focus away from the duties he has been intrusted by Rockdale Citizens to perform.

Those who base their opinions solely on race will unfairly block Eric's effectiveness. Both white people, who feel as if they must be scared - and black people who exclaim their time has come keep **race** in the forefront instead of directing attention to the crime in our community.

May God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change (other people, places or things), the courage to change the things we can (ourselves), and the wisdom to know the difference.

bkwhmw1234 1 year, 9 months ago

If this whole political scene does not scream racism against White people I don't know what does. I have not felt safe in Rockdale County for some time and these elections are a perfect example as to why my worry has increased. I do not feel safe here and will be prepared to protect my family against any and all intruders. Needless to say my expenditures on firearms will increase dramatically.

That link isn't working by the way.

rockinglatina 1 year, 9 months ago

Was it racially divided before this election? Because if it wasn't then it was just as racist against blacks.... Now that the county has gone Democratic it's because it's black. I support any good candidate but making these racist comments will not help. So sad to see adults act this way... no matter your skin color it's pure ignorance!!!

Victorious1 1 year, 9 months ago

Zo it is so obvious who you are. LOL Really?

bkwhmw1234 1 year, 9 months ago

Hardly divided. BTW: Racist comments mean that I'm being derogatory towards another race. When the equation turned the crime rate also went through the roof. Check the statistics. I am a realist and my comments are based on fact. Oprah preached on her show for all blacks to move to Rockdale County. They did and now they have changed the face of Rockdale forever. Rockdale is not safe no matter how you want to make my comments seem to be. Subdivisions which once were beautiful and safe are now run down and crime ridden. Gangs and Gang Wannabes are running everywhere from Sigman Road to Salem Road. Facts are facts. Look them up.

disgustedwithpeople 1 year, 9 months ago

I have continued to read these comments and it they have made me so angry; to see people categorizing people and different situations because of the color of their skin. My family and I have lived in Rockdale County our entire lives (African Americans) and guess what, we all hit the clock everyday and live enjoyable lives. We are not receiving any government assistance and we work for what we want. We did not vote straight democrat on election day; we discussed the candidates and made wise decisions when voting. Oh yea and by the way we all voted for Jeff, not because of anything negative about Eric but because we felt Wigington was doing a great job. When I went to church Sunday the Pastor said that we are living in a time where a lot of people are angry about the election results and that we should not only pray for them but for our gov't as well. I know that everyone does not believe in the power of pray but I do. I will pray for the ignorance of racism, the President and other elected officials, and for if not world peace at least peace in our community. But if you feel the need to move then that is your choice but I refuse to let criminals (black or white) run me from my home!!!!!!

workingoverseas 1 year, 9 months ago

Will the day ever come when color or social differences stop being the main drive of politics. I do hope I’m alive to see it. I’ve been fortunate to grow up in an atmosphere where I’ve experienced both sides. In a majority white world, majority black world and fortunate enough to have a multiple mixture of friends and family. We will always have our hate groups, political idealists, etc. That is what makes America what it is. When the majority of America, from the small towns to the big cities can see pass color, gender, social differences, stop blaming issues on one group, when in fact all groups have their bad seeds. That’s life. Then America and every small town across the nation can be what it was dreamt to be. Why can’t Conyers be majority black and succeed? Why can’t Conyers have a good mixture in the local political offices and succeed? I’ve been in Conyers for over 10 years now. My son has graduated from high school here. I truly like this community. Before leaving to work overseas I was very active in the arts community in Rockdale, from ole town to the school system. I’ve met and became good friends with influential people in Conyers, and I’ve heard them say Conyers has changed, but not for the worse, but simply for the good mixture. "The Good Mixture". Ever situation needs optimism. Complaining, hate, discard, division is very easy. Why can’t Conyers be one of many communities that do things to the contrary when it comes to racial and political issues. Simply changing our minds, make things work and succeed. Everybody will never be pleased. Changing America starts in our communities. It doesn't take a big person, just a person that's willing to thing big. Peace&Godbless from Afghanistan.