Rockdale Citizen Poll for Nov. 11, 2012

The Citizen Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-483-7108, ext. 402, email poll@rockdalecitizen.com or complete the online form. The Citizen Poll is not a forum for comments about candidates in political races.

"I am a ninth-grade teacher in this county and have been for several years. I have seen a decline in the preparedness of students in the past three years academically, socially, and in overall maturity. I have more failures than I can remember and my kids are being suspended left and right because they cannot handle the freedom of high school. I think the middle schools are not preparing them and the main reason has to be the relaxing of requirements to pass. I can't think of anything else. They think they can do whatever they want and still pass. I heard that middle school teachers are not allowed to give zeros to kids. Well, we give them zeros in high school when they don't do their work. So I guess some of those policies helped the passing numbers for a middle school principal or two, but these kids are suffering. Please step it up and stop being dumb."

"I have never written to the poll but reading about Cleveland Stroud being honored by having the Rockdale High gym named after him compelled me to write and congratulate the committee who decided on this honor. My daughters played softball for Rockdale High under him as their coach. He was wonderful with the girls and demanded they show good sportsmanship in every game they played. He is a person of great character and hopefully the coaches after him do display the high standards he set for all his players no matter the sport. Congratulations Coach on such an honor."

"Mitt Rummny is a fine white man and I don't see why the big deal on the binders on women. He can put me in any one of his binders he wants to."

"Sure some of the new students have caused a shift in behavior culture but the administrators and county office have to take some of the blame too. If they were tougher and more creative and refused to give in to bad behavior and low-life parents, the new kids would rise to the county's old standards. Instead they have dropped the standards."

"I hear a lot about how tough New Yorkers are. I don't believe it. I think they are sissies."

"It is time for Salem to get a new football coach and staff. It has been too much talent on the football team for the last three years for all three seasons to end as they have. If the principal of Salem cannot recognize that the head coach has put his team in the hands of others instead of coaching his own team, then she needs to pack her bags and leave with them. It is a disgrace to the players and the community. The school has no spirit, the coaches don't try to motivate the players and the school is losing money because the stands are not being filled. Wake up!"

"To the Rockdale County School Board and the principal of Salem. Please find a real football coach for Salem High School. A coach that will take control of his own team and not leave it in the hands of other coaches. The school is suffering. We need someone who will teach the players the fundamentals of the game. If you think the present coach and his staff are doing such a great job, look at the record and then poll the fans and the community. Better yet, just attend one of the practices. It's time for a change. How long do we let the children suffer?"

"Sundance! You are on restriction too. Your posts are getting too long! I thought you had some sense."

"Last night a friend posted on Facebook about an idiotic RCSD who was turning circles on a busy major road without lights or siren. Somehow she has been intimidated by someone to remove the story, I think because the unit number she gave was wrong. So what if it was wrong, it still happened! So I am gonna stick my neck out and leave it out because it needs to be said! When she pulled next to him and asked why he was acting stupid he just looked at her and attempted and failed another U-turn. He was probably high! Now I know a few LEOs are serious and fair, but it truly is just a few. Ninety percent of all LEOs are pompous authority junkies. I don't want to offend LEOs that I actually know, but the truth is the truth ... I have heard officers complaining about a lack of respect for many years, well fellas you reap what you sow. How can you get respect when your entire personal attitude is one of vast superiority? How can you expect to be respected when you never give respect? How can you earn respect when you constantly break the laws you hold us to? I have heard many LEOs say they never cite or arrest a fellow officer. This has made me furious for about 40 years now! How dare you think you are exempt! How dare you think you are better than law-abiding civilians? How dare you assume anyone not in uniform is a criminal? Didn't the Nazis operate this way? You are all a bunch of self-serving, favor-handing narcissists ... "----

"I know this isn't a sports forum but I am tired of hearing about Michael Vick and whether he should start for the Eagles. He is having a terrible year and they need to replace him. I do not know why everyone thinks he is so special. There is some weird connection people have with him. Is it a black thing? There are other great black QBs that don't have all the bad attitude side issues Vick has."

"Recently had a wedding here in Conyers, several out-of-town guests. Would like to thank two local business for the wonderful impression they left of our town on these people. The 908 Club in Olde Town hosted the rehearsal dinner, what a wonderful staff! Everyone talked about what a great experience they provided. The Holiday Inn provided great rooms, also a great staff, and a really good breakfast. My 5-year old grandson and 87-year-old mother were in awe of your pancake machine. So to the management and staff, a great big thank you for a job well done."

"To the person who commented about the chain restaurants, I'll give you my top 12 chooses for place to eat in Conyers and Rockdale County. None of them are chain restaurants. On West Avenue Donna Marie's and Sweet and Savory Cafe; in Olde Town -- Los Flores, Thai Palace, Celtic Tavern and The Whistle Post; Off Salem Road Tokyo, Sigman Road -- House of Fine Foods; Industrial Boulevard -- Jenny's Cafe; 138 North -- Los Charros; 138 South and Ga 20 -- Chianti has been making the best Italian food anywhere for three decades; and last but not least for a great lunch or a fantastic Sunday brunch -- Cherokee Run at the horse park. Hope you enjoy."

"Sunday's paper came with a candidate's sticker plastered right in the middle of the front page article -- and it wouldn't peel off. How rude! If I hadn't already voted for him I may have changed my mind after that stunt."

"Today is Super Tuesday. I just heard from the son of a friend of mine. He is deployed in Afghanistan and cannot vote. His unit did not get absentee ballots. The boy is getting shot at daily and can't vote! I guess his president knows how those guys are going to vote and conveniently forgot to send ballots."

"I saw a guy today by Hightower Elementary School, I think he was supposed to be sign waving for Nesbitt because there was a sign by him on the ground. He was leaning against his shiny black Cadillac texting. Looked like he was bored."

"We moved here more than 30 years ago because of the high quality of the school system. Sadly, those days are past and the kids have grown and moved on. Now, the lunatics have taken control of the asylum and we must say farewell to our neighbors and good-bye to Blackdale."

Comments

maryinga 2 years, 1 month ago

To the person who thinks New Yorkers are sissies.....shame on you....you haven't met me!!

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Sun dance...you've been called out by the .length police. Welcome to the club!

mom2boys 2 years, 1 month ago

Apparently the teachers at Davis Middle School haven't gotten the message about not giving zeros. My son decided to blow off a couple of assignments last month and he got what he deserved-a big fat zero. I didn't like it, but my problem was with him, not the teachers. So maybe there's more to this story?

Sundance 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry. Dont want to monopolize. I'll try to keep it shorter. Also, I cant state my opinions about this farce of an election(local) without spitting out 8 belts of ammo so I'm keeping my mouth shut. Angrily.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

No, please Sundance...speak up!

You can't "monopolize" this board. Everyone gets 3000 characters, but that doesn't detract from anyone else's allowance.

We Rockdalians have been silenced enough.

Clark 2 years, 1 month ago

Please keep espousing your opinions Sundance! We may not see eye to eye, but being able to share opinions is the very heart of what America is!

rare 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow, I was really sad to hear the vote results for sheriff.I was hoping this town had some good news.But just bad news.How do we make the best of this? It was also bad news that Oden and Nesbitt are still in their positions.We really needed a fresh start. What a mess uneducated voters have gotten us into.Just look at the elected president and you see the big picture.Neal Boortz sure has things summed up right.

Sundance 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr Nesbitt, Please explain what you meant in this facebook post by "sell out". Please also explaing what you meant by " We will be watching your a$$ too".

johnq123 2 years, 1 month ago

That statement speaks to OZ character. I am convinced this buffoon raised himself.

ydebo 2 years, 1 month ago

To the person who is complaining about RCSO deputy. It DOES matter if she got the unit number wrong because that is how the officers are identified. If she reported a wrong unit number then she falsely accused another deputy. Plus if it REALLY did happen on a MAJOR intersection........why have there been NO other complaints. Did YOU see this happen? How do you know that the story was not embellished (like your comment) to make what happened more interesting? Sounds like You have an issue with LEO. Nazis, NO I think not. We have excellent LEO in Rockdale County and Conyers PD.

INJUSTICE_FOR_ALL 2 years, 1 month ago

ROCKDALE WELCOMES E B T USERS . ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF DETROIT..

LoveIt 2 years, 1 month ago

Sundance... Surely you recognize the bullying statement of a gangster, threatening a community leader of courage. Too bad not enough of the people who voted for Oz saw this. This is not the example of Dr. Martin Luther King. This community must find a way to eliminate this kind of behavior here and the people who bring it. There are far too many capable and truly good people here to lead us that are being overlooked.

Sundance 2 years, 1 month ago

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and hear from him what he meant by it. This is a public forum but it's only local. This has not hit the Area TV stations yet and I just wanted to see what he meant.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Some good thoughts there, Lovelt, however I don't think the current crop of democrats are paying too much heed to Dr. King anymore.

After discovering that the benefits advantages that lie in the "color of the skin", the "content of character" is all but passe'.

Judging by the "content of character" sounded really good to quell the unrest of the 60's and 70's, but behavioral trends show it to be falling on deaf ears in our time.

That is evident by the fact that Nesbitt got elected, not just once, but twice. In a normal world a person with his background and character would not get enough votes for dogcatcher...oh, but he is the one who wanted to waste money on a dog park, isn't he.

In today's world, it is more than obvious that color trumps character, all the way to the top. It's not going to change.

But our "Continental Army" is busy watching "American Idol" and football, and worrying about "global warming", while the new version of the "Redcoats" are making sure that the tyrants will win this time around.

We created the monster, and now we have to live with it, or die from it.

Sundance 2 years, 1 month ago

Here is a better pic of it. I would like Mr. Nesbitt to explain what he meant by "sell-outs". What were the "sell-outs" doing that made him mad and why was it wrong that they were doing it. and finally, I want to know what he meant when he said, "we will watching your a$$ too" I have speculation of what he meant and everyone knows what this means on the street, but I would like to give him an opportunity to explain it. I think his constituents deserve it.

ctownslimm 2 years, 1 month ago

This is a terrible example of leadership. Very unprofessional. Does Nesbitt actually think it's OK to act like this? He said he wants to unify this community. Clearly that is not the truth.

Motohead 2 years, 1 month ago

What say you, Rockdale Citizen? Are you going to follow up with Oz about this and ask him what he meant by this Facebook comment? I'm pretty sure Al Sharpton and his people would, if the shoe was on the other foot.

ClaytonBigsby 2 years, 1 month ago

The Citizen will say nothing. The paper was content to snooze about the LAST Facebook dust-up brought to us by Oz until it got mentioned on Atlanta TV. ONLY then did the Citizen do a story.

NitetimeinDaytime 2 years, 1 month ago

Noooo......I guess I'm a sell out then. Cause I didn't vote for him.

aspiringmissy1936 2 years, 1 month ago

There are ebt users everywhere!!!! Black and white alike....and other ethnicities as well. Sure it is being abused by many. But on the other hand, there are those who really need this help.

ClaytonBigsby 2 years, 1 month ago

No able bodied adult between 18-65 "really needs this help". Give me a break. An able bodied person needs a job, not "this help". Flame away...

DawgsFan 2 years, 1 month ago

To the person that said "I think the middle schools are not preparing them and the main reason has to be the relaxing of requirements to pass. I can't think of anything else"

Everything starts at home. Mom and Dad need to hold them accountable for their actions. The schools are not responsible for, and cannot, fix our kids. If the teacher receives a broken child I have faith that they will do what they can to help that child, but if they're not receiving the same discipline at home the teacher's efforts are wasted. I'm not naive, I'm sure there are some truly bad teachers out there, teachers that have been burned time and time again and have probably given up because they're not receiving the support from the parents nor the school board.

I appreciate you being a teacher, you sound like you really care about your students. We need more teachers like you that are looking for solutions.

Clark 2 years, 1 month ago

Just because the parents aren't doing their job, doesn't mean the schools shouldn't do their. Yes, the parents need to be held accountable, but if a student can't read, write, do math, and know basic civics/social studies, then the school should be held accountable for passing them on.

DawgsFan 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you and I'm not sure where you got the idea that schools should stop doing their jobs. I never said that, nor implied that. I was simply making the point that teachers only have the students for about 190 days out of the year and only for 7 hours a day. They're with their parents or guardians for the balance of their days. Both parties have to work together to ensure the success of a child. May parents seem to think it's the schools responsibility to teach the child everything they need to know. My parents worked 40+ hours a week and worked with me to reinforce my studies every night when they got home. Each child is different and this is what was required of me- parents should determine what helps their children be a productive student and help them get there. We're not animals who have offspring and turn them lose to the world...

judgedredd 2 years, 1 month ago

To the person who made slandering comments about a deputy. You have no clue what happened that day. I heard the Deputies actions were investigated and there was no wrong actions on the Deputies fault and he never made the so called 'uturns' you speak of. Next time you decide to call 911 just remember you are calling 'Nazis' to help you out and when they do help you in a time of emergency just know your local 'Nazis' helped you out. Maybe this friend was not intimidated, maybe he/she realized she over reacted.

1ayk 2 years, 1 month ago

Sheriff Levitt will cure all ills, Oden will part the waters, and Nesbit will lead you morons to the promise land of Obama!

Carole 2 years, 1 month ago

First of all, it is Sheriff Levett, notice the spelling..He will do his work alone and not participate in any wrong doings...He is a christian man with many supporters, and I feel that he will make many needed changes in Rockdale, for the good...

1ayk 2 years, 1 month ago

I am sure Levett is a good man as well as the others who were elected men and women. However, they have a chip on their shoulders just like the President. I hope your chip is now satisfied and will revel in the demise of this county and this country!

newrogirl 2 years, 1 month ago

Just what is it with you Southeners? Why do I detect so much hatred for anything or anyone who doesn't look like YOU? I find it really interesting that predominantly all the Southern states voted against the first AA President! Coincidence? I think not. The same states that chose to fight a war to keep slavery are still fighting a war to keep being decisive and hateful.

You people REALLY sit in churches on Sunday morning and BELIEVE you are good Christians while you hold SO MUCH HATRED in your hearts!! Do you REALLY believe that when your judgement day comes, God will give you a pass because "that's how we do it in the South"? I think not.

I think it's time you deal with the fact that you must coexist in this world with many different types of people. I realize that your parents and grandparents handed down their hateful beliefs to you and that you run to listen to Rush, Hannity, and Boortz, so that you can re-affirm what it is you already believe. It's evident that you cannot and will not think for yourselves. The problem is, times are 'a changing - with or without your acceptance of it.

Just hope one day you don't need one of those "others" to help you out, save your life, or feel compassion for YOU one day. It must be an awfully lonely, empty way to lead a life.

heresyafacts 2 years, 1 month ago

Just an FYI: here's a map showing county by county votes nationwide for this last election: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/countymaprb1024.png (Blue = Dem/ Red = Repub)

So clearly there are others across the nation who voted against Obama, and most of them voted against him because they do not believe he is the right person to be leader of this county. They voted against him because they believe in capitalism, not socialism. They voted against him because they own businesses and have been negatively impacted by his policies. They voted against him because he let four Americans die in a raid that could have been prevented in Bengazi. They voted against him because of his foreign policy and his partisan politics, which have endangered this country.

Unfortunately, there were not enough voting against him, because too many in this country are either government-dependent or so woefully ignorant that they rely on sound bites, the Daily Show, and Eva Longoria when deciding on which way to vote. Or they voted strictly social agendas.

I am for gay rights and I am for a woman's right to choose, but I believe this President's economic agenda is dangerous to the financial health of this county, and I voted against him.

Do some people vote because of race? Absolutely. (Obama got 93% of the black vote in 2012, 95% in 2008 -- is THAT just coincidence?) Recognize that there are hateful beliefs on YOUR side as well -- and that groups like the New Black Panther party and their ilk, along with the kind of reprehensible comments spoken by "Rev." Joseph Lowery (http://atlantablackstar.com/2012/11/01/rev-joseph-lowery-under-fire-for-joking-that-white-people-going-to-hell/) -- do nothing to bring this nation together.

newrogirl 2 years, 1 month ago

And did you vote against him because of his race? And I suppose Rush and Hannity are doing all they can to bring this nation together. You self-righteous people really make me laugh! Do you REALLY think hard working Americans, who struggle to put food on the table, voted to get gifts????!!!! That is a republican lie to help you feel better about the way things have changed. I've worked ALL my life and no one has given me ANYTHING! I've never received an unemployment check, welfare check, food stamps - NOTHING! That is the reality for the majority of hardworking Americans. Maybe if you'd come OFF your high horse and get to know people who don't look like you...,you might get a more realistic picture of life. SPARE ME!

By the way - despite YOUR vote against the President - apparently MORE people feel his economic agenda beats that of GWB, who took this country to the brink of disaster! Romney would have done even worse!

heresyafacts 2 years, 1 month ago

No, honey, I voted against him because he does not understand the financial disaster looming ahead of us. YOU voted for because of his race. And I can tell that because you ignored everything I wrote in the above response. And btw, honey -- you have NO IDEA what my ethnic background is, so get off YOUR high, self-deluded horse.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Aw shucks ma'am, but us old stupid southerns a least know enuff to stay where we were born, where there are kindred spirits, and not move down to some place and try and make it like the north.

Yankees are moving to the south in droves, the weather, the jobs, and our beautiful landscape is attracting them like buzzards to road kill. But a lot of them are sent South by greed; a new breed of "carpetbaggers" coming down to search for the spoils of war.

After ravaging the cities of the North, they've moved to more fertile fields to strip them bare with their liberal thinking, and spend most of their time bitchin' about it not being "like the North".

Delta is ready when you are...

By the way, Rush is from Missouri, Hannity is from New York, and Boortz was born in Pennsylvania.

newrogirl 2 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully more Yankees will move here and continue to outnumber the yokels. Oh that's right, you guys plan to secede !!!! Ba wa ha ha

heresyafacts 2 years, 1 month ago

There are secession petitions in all 50 states.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe they will, after all, you libs thrive on groupthink anyway.

There are several states that have started a petition (on obama's website) to "secede", but there are no official petitions for such an action and probably won't be. You really need to read a little now and then before you make such irresponsible comments.

The irony is, the "yokels" made the South into the paradise you seek as you vacate the ruined cities of the North. I actually don't blame folks for wanting to move here to get away from the mess you've made of the northern cities. Long ago people did the same thing...when their outhouse holes filled up, they would move to another part of the yard and dig a new hole and move the outhouse over it. That's all you're doing.

Hypothetical question: If we were to "secede", would you move back to the North?

1ayk 2 years, 1 month ago

He is not African Amercian unless he was born in Africa. Are you a birther? Now he was raised as a socialist who is using capitlaistic ways to gain power only to strip it from those who worked hard for it. Why should I sit by and watch this nation fall because you and your ilk still hold a grudge against the old south. You know the place you and your ilk continue to come to. My question is why? You have such wonderful places to live, like New York, Detroit, LA, Cleveland, etc. all rich in you ilk and incompetence.

newrogirl 2 years, 1 month ago

For church people, I have never seen such tolerance for disrespect for the Office of the President of the United States.

Just remember, when the next President takes office.....you've set the bar for lack of respect. What goes around - always comes around! It will be just as acceptable as you claim it is now.

People's hatred have brought this country to a new level of disgusting. You did it....deal with it.

1ayk 2 years, 1 month ago

You have the nerve to post disrespect for the president when president Bush was hit every day, day iin and day out. What is wrong with listening to conservative ideas instead of hip hop idiots who you all idealize, the likes of Jessie, Al, Oprah, Bill Mahr etc. This country in dying as we know it. Worst economy ever and not just because the savior has been left with such a bad deal. He continues to create even more debt. Yeah I am from the south, and if you don't like it why are you here? Obviously where you came from was not all peaches and cream, was it. You go to church as well I assume, does your pastor preach or vasilate? You hypocrite. No almost half the nation is not satified with the election results, that should tell you something. This president has divided not brought together the nation and you know it. He has no idea what it was like to be brought up in the country and is riding your ignorance to his own benefit. When was the last time you were able to vacation in Martha's Garden, or Spain?

1ayk 2 years, 1 month ago

To correct myslef, I meant Martha's Vinyard, my bad.

newrogirl 2 years, 1 month ago

By the way, I was in Spain this past July! Haven't been back to Martha's Vineyard in awhile, primarily due to the weather!

1ayk 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh, I am impressed. Some one of your stature living in this poe dunk little county full of hateful bigots and red necks. How do you do it?

newrogirl 2 years, 1 month ago

Bush got disrespect because he was and continues to be a huge jackass who only got to where he was because his daddy made it all happen for him. You are right about one thing...This county is dying as you know it. That's right, things have changed and there's NOTHING YOU can do about it. You are outsmarted and out numberered!!! Now, go secede with your other imbeciles. Buh bye!

1ayk 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Bush has been quite the gentleman considering this so called leader now in the White House continues to blame him day after day. The Bushes as a family have shown nothing but class, something many of your ilk have no knowledge of. By the way did daddy Bush fly those jets for W when he was in the Air Force Reserve. Can Obama fly a plane, has he done any military service prior to becoming president? We may be out numbered for now, but not outsmarted, that is on you and your ilk for buying into this BS.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Let me see if I've got this straight...G.W.Bush won the presidency...twice...because his Daddy, who was defeated by Clinton, "made it happen for him"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seem to remember two, National elections where Bush won.

Exactly how did "Daddy Bush" make that "happen for him" some 8 years after "daddy Bush" had left the White House?

Insofar as Bush being a "Jackass" - which is the democrat party symbol - when in the past four years of the current administration, has he uttered a single word in public?

Insofar as being "outsmarted", the liberals always cause "unintended consequences" in their doings, and you'll live to see that you're not quite as brilliant as you think you are...socialism has never worked for long, anywhere.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

The "bar of disrespect" started a long time before obama came along...perhaps you don't remember:

INJUSTICE_FOR_ALL 2 years, 1 month ago

well said, you white cracker. now did that offend you or belittle you? now change white to black spade, oh no he did't.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Doesn't bother me, as I do enough research and reading to know it's not true. Maybe you should try reading a little something besides one-liners and democrat plantation talking points.

It's like you throwing out all of the racial epithets against whites, where is that coming from, other than blind hatred induced by leftist propaganda?

You seem to become unhinged when someone points out your hypocrisy. If you can't take the rebuttal without playing the race card, you shouldn't dish it out.