Recount set for sheriff's race

CONYERS — A recount in the election for Rockdale County sheriff is scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Sheriff Jeff Wigington, who lost the race to Democrat challenger Eric Levett by a margin of 34 votes, requested the recount Saturday following certification of the election results.

According to Rockdale Supervisor of Elections Cynthia Welch, the recount will take place at the Board of Elections and Registration on Parker Road beginning at 9:30 a.m. The recount will include all ballots cast for the sheriff's race.

The Rockdale Board of Elections will meet in a called meeting at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday in order to re-certify the results of the sheriff’s race, according to Welch.

The recount follows Friday night's count of provisional and mail-in ballots from military personnel and overseas civilians. Friday's results reversed the unofficial results tabulated Tuesday night in the General Election. At the end of Tuesday night, Wigington had an 18-vote edge over Levett. Friday night, Levett had a margin of 34 votes.

Final vote counts Friday were 18,726, or 49.96 percent, for Wigington and 18,760, or 50.04 percent, for Levett.

According to the Secretary of State’s Office, a losing candidate who is within 1 percent of the winning candidate’s vote total may request a recount in writing within two days of the election certification.

Comments

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 11 months ago

did we really think he wouldnt ask for a recount? I think not

Victorious1 1 year, 11 months ago

Of course not! Were not worried we already know how it's going to turn out!

onmywayout 1 year, 11 months ago

You both should be worried...but then again...you're part of the "change for the sake of change is good" group of folks so you're probably pretty happy witht he direction of Rockdale. Don't get comfortable, We'll watch closely an be waiting to oust him and the rest of the sequel to Clayton County government!

If you were in his shoes...you would have requested a recount as well.

the_shadow 1 year, 11 months ago

Of course we knew he would demand a recount. Jeff cant stand not being the king of Rockdale County The truth is Jeff, your deputies dont want you and the public doesnt want you!

johnq123 1 year, 11 months ago

The people spoke and we as the electorate should support the newly elected who will lead our community. I only pray that the decisions they make will not be born from Aten, Wilson, and Davis.

Rockdale we will be fine!

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 11 months ago

A RECOUNT....SERIOUSLY WIGINGTON!!?? ENJOY RETIREMENT DUDE!! YOU SERVED YOUR TIME....

DawgsFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Apparently you missed the debate where you could have been a better informed voter- but he's too young to retire.

Jesse 1 year, 11 months ago

with such a small margin of votes, it would seem both candidates would want a recount just to make sure.

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 11 months ago

The deputies sure don't want him. The public doesn't know the half of the serious issues inside Rockdale Jail....

DawgsFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Which deputies don't want him? I drive by several homes where deputies live and they proudly have his sign in their yards. I'm reasonably sure that about 50% of the public wants him in office... Serious issues in the jail? You have my attention... I've always though the RCSO was ran pretty well and that it was Oden preventing him from doing his job. Please elaborate?

Those Deputies that didnt want Wigington should be careful what they wish for. They might get more than they bargained for. Espceially if the rumor holds true about the Chief Deputy position.

DestinyInRockdale 1 year, 11 months ago

True True True! Thats what people don't realize. And yes, the deputies that had Jeff's signs in there yards most likely weren't doing it because they wanted to but because they felt they HAD to to satisfy Jeff and not lose their job!

red18 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't know either of these gentlemen and as long as criminals, irregardless of race, are taken off our streets then we as homeowners should all be satisfied. I am concerned that some of the people elected were based on a D next to their name and possibly color of skin which is wrong! Especially those that have already been caught with their hands in the cookie jar and those that have certain agenda's that will NOT benefit our community. I grew up in a place that let the Metropolitian Transportation move in and it brought a lot more crime with it. I hope whoever wins the Sherrifs election is prepared for this fight.

bkwhmw1234 1 year, 11 months ago

Funny thing about misinformation. The Democrat Party and people who support it love to spew forth lies and crap on good people. The Sheriff has served Rockdale for many years and has kept it safe....well for the most part. He cant be held accountable for the new age of people that has moved in. Funny thing.....all the Dems have probably not lived in Rockdale for more than 10 years.....except for Levett. He is probably the only one in this short sighted county who supports the Dems thats from here.

Freedom1 1 year, 11 months ago

Good grief, I wish everyone would stop this. This election shows more than anything how divided we've permitted the media, our leaders, and people with nothing better to do than make daily ugly comments in the paper, to make us. This is what they want, it's up to us to try and pull this community together, and hold these newly elected officials accountable objectively. Our children are watching, how do we want to be remembered in these times. The true haters will be shown for what they are, if we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I still wonder why there were approx 600 more ballots cast in the sheriff's race than the other races.

BOCWatch 1 year, 11 months ago

Frustrated, a better question would be why are there 12,670 votes for a Libertarian!

Moe1972 1 year, 11 months ago

Amen Freedom 1! Everyone is so hung up race. Have any of you read your Bible lately? I subscribed to this paper because I was considering purchasing a home in the area. I guess I should say thank you for letting me see how it is. I do not want my family around this. Lots of southerners are so proud but is this what you are proud of? It's 2012 ladies and gentlemen. I'll pray that God bless you and remove the hate from your hearts.

kt 1 year, 11 months ago

We've done you an enormous favor! RUN!

ROCKDALE IS SO GREAT..lol go to work or what ever you do, leave your house unlocked and you keys in your car. Did not think so. NO respect or teaching from the parent.

AwaitingChange 1 year, 11 months ago

Sometimes we just have to be silent...I have been reading and not really commenting, however, what I am sure of is that; Silence is bliss! The entire name calling sessions are so unnecessary…. I pray that as some of comments that people have made on this blog don't get your behind hemmed up when you need the "NEW MONKEY" in town to protect and serve on your street or for your family member. I bet he won't be so "monkey'ish then. Calm down Rockdale, there is clearly a shift in the atmosphere. Jeff did what he was assigned to do for his "appointed" time and I am grateful for him! It would be great if we could grasp the mindset of reaching back and helping others who have respected and served us. We are one big community whether we like it or not. Get some balls and stop hiding behind what has been and let's move forward. Recount is what it is, at the end of the day; there is only ONE that is in full control! Eric I am proud of you and blessed to know of someone with such great moral character. Press forward and that your heart and mind do what is right, you know where you come from!!

Motohead 1 year, 11 months ago

To Freedom....these newly-elected officials WON'T be held accountable objectively. That's the problem.

If a white person criticizes them, they can respond with "racism/bigotry/ignorance".

If a black person criticizes them, they can respond with "Uncle Tom/sellout/token"

No one's held accountable for anything anymore. They just pass the buck.

pressman7 1 year, 11 months ago

"aspiringmissy1936" we are waiting for elaboration on your charges.

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 11 months ago

Well DawgFan....he can go be the greeter at Walmart til he's ready to retire. Hell, he can go do whatever he wants....

DawgsFan 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, he wants to be sheriff. He's done a fine job and I don't' see any reason to fix something that isn't' broken. I've asked you for some specifics as to the issues inside the jail that you claim the public doesn't know about. I haven't seen a response. I assume you want change because you were told you wanted change. I voted for Wigington, and it's not beneath me to vote for a Democrat if the person is the right person for the job. I've seen how the jail operates and the only issues I've seen are the issues of the inmates. There is no secret that they're underpaid, but that goes back to the all mighty Oden stripping money from him without telling him: http://www.rockdalecitizen.com/news/2...

So I ask again, what issues or may I assume you have nothing and you prefer the (D) next to someone's name?

aspiringmissy1936 1 year, 11 months ago

They're cronies....and those few deputies do not make up the whole department!!!!

dbk81191 1 year, 11 months ago

Im waiting for an its all bush's fault....

trOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 1 year, 11 months ago