Police ID man shot while stabbing his mother

CONYERS — A man who was reportedly stabbing his mother in the middle of Rockbridge Road Friday morning was shot by an officer with the Conyers Police Department after he allegedly threatened the officer.

Police have identified the suspect as Pernell Presley, 21, of 1544 Eastmont Drive.

According to Jennifer Edwards with the city of Conyers, police responded to a call of a stabbing in progress at about 8:15 a.m. Friday at the Eastmont town homes off Rockbridge Road.

“When they arrived they found a 21-year-old black male stabbing a female, who was reportedly his mother, in the middle of Rockbridge Road,” Edwards said.

Lt. Jackie Dunn said the incident began with a family discussion of the suspect’s recent erratic behavior.

“He basically said ‘I’ll show you crazy,’ and went and got the knife,” said Dunn.

The knife was described as a 5-inch kitchen butcher knife.

Edwards said the victim’s 16-year-old daughter was also in the home at the time and ran out to call police.

The suspect, who witnesses said was stabbing himself as well as his 42-year-old mother, reportedly charged one of the responding officers.

“The officer discharged his weapon an unknown number of times, hitting the suspect,” Edwards said.

Both the victim and the suspect were taken by air ambulance to Atlanta area hospitals. The victim was listed in stable condition Friday evening; the suspect was listed as serious but stable. Police declined to give details about the suspect's injuries.

Police had not charged the suspect as of Friday evening.

Per department policy, the officer involved in the shooting has been placed on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of an internal investigation. The officer is a four-year veteran of the police force.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been called in at the request of Chief Gene Wilson to investigate the officer’s involvement in the incident.

Comments

maryinga 1 year, 5 months ago

Acting erratically? Hmm....wonder what made him that way. Hope his mom is ok. Sad thing when this is happening in Rockdale....yet all over the place. Bye-bye good ol' days!

Christopher 1 year, 5 months ago

Acting erratically = Crack. Your lesson of the day!

Rob 1 year, 5 months ago

And they say there is no violence/crime associated with low income housing. Prepare yourself Rockdale because you just voted for a whole lot more of this!

geaux 1 year, 5 months ago

You know nothing based on that. This "man" you speak of is my close friend and a good person. This is totally out of his character and I, as well as his close friends and family, are utterly devastated by this news. We know theres more to this story than what meets the eye. Our prayers are with them. How dare you assume drugs and being supposedly "low income" has anything to do with the quality of a person? People are so quick judge when they don't anything.

will 1 year, 5 months ago

A good person does not stab his mother or charge the police. I hope they find out what made this guy go over the edge. Pray for the mom and send the perp. to the mental institution for evaluation.

Christopher 1 year, 5 months ago

Ummmm ok. Can you give us any good reason why this "man" would stab his mother repeatedly in the middle of a major road? What more to the story could there be? This is easy to make a judgment on and no matter how long you think about it there is nothing to justify this. Too bad you said he is friend and not a relative because then we could add stupidity to the list of whats wrong with him.

Maybe he is a good man. You never know. Have you ever tried talking to him? Just because he stabs someone doesn't make him all bad. Maybe he was just having a bad hair day.

A "good person" doesn't stab his Mother.

Perception is reality.

FORWARD!

jamesfulmer 1 year, 5 months ago

I DO KNOW EASTMONT TOWNHOMES VIOLENT HISTORY ASSUME WHAT YOU WANT-FACTS BEAR IT OUT!

Outcry 1 year, 5 months ago

@ Rob, family violence has no skin color, income range, or sexual preference. To assume so much without any facts says a lot about your character. So sorry everyone can't live in such a comfortable, luxurious lifestyle as you. But then again, that would mean that we have more ignorant people to live with, right?

If your screen name, "Outcry", is an indication that you consider yourself a "victim", then your post makes a modicum of sense.

I just fail to make the connection with what not living a "comfortable, luxurious, lifestyle" has to do with a person stabbing his Mother.

Do you think being poor is an automatic license and excuse for committing crime? It is not. I know and grew up around people that were very poor, but they all obeyed the law, went to Church, and grew up to become honest and productive citizens. They saw their poverty as a motivator to work hard and strive to emerge from that lifestyle and circumstance...and most did it.

But someone along the way has convinced today's youth that "work is hard", so just "take" what you want, and lash out at anyone who stands in your way.

You're right that "family violence has no skin color, income...etc", but you're wrong if you think any of those circumstances is any excuse anyone at all who commits those crimes. You can't say "Oh, he stabbed his Mother multiple times, but it's OK because he's black and poor." .

I would not be surprised at all if I went to that guy's house and found it to be more comfortable and luxurious than mine; he's probably got, or has access to, a newer car, better clothes, and a 70-inch flat screen. I don't have any of those things, but guess what, I still obey the law and pay my way.

If you really think things are the way you described, then you'll find one of those ignorant people the next time you face the mirror.

Crime has no color, THE Fact is majority is the one that always ruin a good thing. What the conyers police need is more training fire arms. They did a great job... He (the good guy) should have been DRT!(dead right there)

marty 1 year, 5 months ago

9 of 10 violent crimes in the last 10 years are commited by 1 or 2 young black males. The older residents remember when Rockdale rarely had crimes like murder and armed robbery, assault , home invasions. Those violent crimes are weekly occurences now. The older residents here are not prejudiced against the new folks moving here. They are prejudiced agianst all the crime that comes with the influx of African Americans.

jamesfulmer 1 year, 5 months ago

CRIME AND DRUGS AT EASTMONT TOWNHOMES?SAY IT AINT SO!

judgedredd 1 year, 5 months ago

You mean Conyers PD was involved in a shooting and actually hit the target. Glad to see some improvement from the Auto Zone incident! Good job CPD! Next time let RCSO handle it. It will save the county tax payers money.

Award21 1 year, 5 months ago

It's so sad reading some of these comments . People are being so critical and judgmental about this incident but I wonder if anyone stopped to pray for the young man who did this or his family . He obviously snapped whether drugs were present or not . We all make mistakes and have don't things that we regretted . We all deal with stress differently , although physically harming someone should never be the answer . As you continue to make ridiculous comments , he will have to live with what he's done as well as his family . His sister will have to live with the memory or seeing all of this take ace . Now is not the time for snide remarks , what they need is prayer and time to heal over the loss of this young man .

It is very telling that your comments are so critical and judgemental about the people you perceive to be so "critical and judgmental" with their comments.

"He obviously snapped...", duh, ya think?

"We have all made mistakes...", true, but most of us don't make the "mistake" of stabbing our Mothers multiple times in public.

"We all deal with stress differently..."; how about a run around the block, a game of golf, or even punching a wall...but I don't know of a single, "stress management technique" that includes stabbing your Mother.

"...he will have to live with what he's done..." - We ALL have to live with the things we've done; the choices we make in life are part of our life, whether good or bad.

"...wonder if anyone stopped to pray for the young man..." - you go ahead, I'll reserve the prayers for his Mother...SHE was the one who was stabbed.

In conclusion: You remarks are touchy-feely, and I guess that works for you, but don't conclude that your condemnation of the other posters on this board and their opinions. It would be an idiot who was not "critical" of this man's actions, and the word "judgmental" has become the politically correct way to block other people from expresssing their "opinions". You have expressed your opinion, but then blaspheme others who deserve the same right as you.

If you want to support this young man, go down to the jail and sing "Kumbaya" with him, go ahead, no one is stopping you. But, he broke the law, and he deserves whatever he gets.

heresyafacts 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh, c'mon. He's a good person -- he's just been hanging out with the wrong crowd. The kind of crowd that flips out and stabs people at 8 in the morning.

Kinda early, isn't it. Maybe he should have been drinking decaf.

82011 1 year, 5 months ago

Mess with the Law and you can likely get shot and killed. No matter what, learn that from this news report. If you got a problem, take it up later with the Judge.

I am sorry things have to be this way but police and deputies have to protect themselves too.

BrownBear 1 year, 5 months ago

Elmo you nailed it !! You should run for office. Oh never mind, your are too logical and not a Dumocrat so it would be in vain.

binderd22 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes Elmo you pretty much nailed it. So many judgements, so few facts. In part I blame the media. I saw one story (not here) that sensationalized the story in such a way that the Police Dept was made to be the aggressor claiming "excessive force". It amazes me how judgement flows so freely.

I agree. The "Nightly News" has morphed into the "Nightly Opinion". I think many in the media cover a story just so they can give their personal opinion, or spin, on it.

I have not watched local news, or the alphabet networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, or MSNBC) since Clinton was elected, and I never will again. These outlets are liberal propaganda outlets with visions of sugar plums about the possibility of a euro-socialist society. I lived in Europe for three years (military), and while I had a nice time there in the 60's, I kissed the ground when I landed back in the USA.

The alphabet media is inhabited by some of the America-hating hippies of the 60's and 70's, they are in control of the mainstream, and they will never step down. The only way to fight them is to not watch, and not buy from their advertisers...and even that won't help much.

The wonderful part of being a human being is the ability, and the right, to be judgemental. I'm "judgemental" when I refuse to let my daughter date a thug. I'm "judgemental" when I choose one restaurant over another.

I don't slink in fear when a lib tells me that I'm "too judgemental", for that same lib is judging me. They remind me of an elementary school yard bully who calls everyone names when s/he doesn't get their way.

A lot of us - especially politicians - have long-forgotten the old "Sticks and Stones..." prose, and are deathly afraid of being called a name. We're being defeated, not by war, but by political correctness. It will continue so long as we cow-tow to it.

NitetimeinDaytime 1 year, 5 months ago

Some of you are so hypocritical......

Some of us are not sheep....

NitetimeinDaytime 1 year, 5 months ago

some are sheep and don't even know it.

That's what I'm trying to tell YOU.