Horne refutes claims by Democratic challenger

CONYERS -- Although Clarence "Rudy" Horne Jr. has served as the chief judge for Rockdale County Magistrate Court for more than two decades, he has rarely faced opposition in his quest for re-election.

The scenario has changed this year as Horne, a Republican, is being challenged by Democrat Phinia Aten in November's general election. Suffice it to say, it's been a while since Horne has had to stump for office.

"It's been 16 years since I've had to get out and campaign," said Horne, who served as an associate magistrate under Hyrum Pierce before first winning election in 1992. "I had to get on Facebook and I had to get a website. I had to learn a lot real quickly."

Horne said that out on the campaign trail, he's heard no complaints about his work or his office.

"People are primarily interested in seeing me stay in," he said. "After 25 years as a magistrate judge, I enjoy the job and I do a great job. Everyone who comes to Magistrate Court is really happy with me. The only complaints I've heard are from this lady who's running against me. I think a lot of complaints she's talking about she just makes up."

The veteran jurist responded to several comments made by Aten, primarily about the court's budget and his service on the bench.

"My opponent has said that our budget is more than it should be," he said. "I thought our budget was at the 2007 level, but I went back and looked, and it's actually $28,000 less than the 2007 level. We're way down. And she talked about my not being on the bench -- I'm on the bench all the time. I don't think either one of my associate magistrates has sat for me this year."

Magistrate Court is a court of inquiry with the primary responsibility to determine the sufficiency of evidence in criminal cases, along with applications and issuance of arrest and search warrants in the county and city of Conyers. It is also the court of first appearance and committal hearings in criminal cases. The court hears civil claims and provides eviction notices, distress warrants, ordinance violations, issuance of bad-check citations and holds misdemeanor bad-check warrant hearings.

Earlier this year, Horne said that in 2011, his office processed 4,036 misdemeanor and felony warrants. Horne said his court heard 6,668 civil cases, with the majority of those being dispossessions over nonpayment of rent. Of the 2,466 small-claim cases last year in Magistrate Court, 704 involved abandoned motor vehicles.

"The volume (of cases) is up over 25 years ago, but is actually down from a year ago," he said. "We thought when the filing fees for State Court and Superior Court went way up that a lot of people would start filing in our court, but that just didn't seem to be the case. We're actually a little bit lower. The only thing that's gone up a lot is dispossessions, which is because the foreclosures are so great. Then they have to come to us to get them to move out of the house. But other than foreclosures, even our criminal statistics are down a little bit. Crime's not getting worse -- it's staying around the same. Civil has gone down just a little bit overall."

A 1965 graduate of Emory University and a 1978 graduate of Woodrow Wilson School of Law, Horne said serving as chief magistrate not only requires knowledge of the legal process, but also a great deal of patience, since many litigants in Magistrate Court are not represented by attorneys.

"We have a terrible time getting people to get prepared for court," he said. "We have a website posted when they walk in the door that tells there where they can go to watch a video that explains everything about how to present their case, and they don't do it. Every once in a while you get somebody who comes in prepared, but I pretty much have to drag the information out of them. It takes a great deal of patience and listening skills to get the information you need to have to make a decision.

"You develop the skills you need to handle the cases and there's really no substitute for experience. (Aten) talks about her practice and what a well-thought-of attorney she is, but she's not well thought of in Rockdale County because nobody knows her. I have no idea whether she can do the job or not. I've heard her at about five forums and she does not have listening skills and she does not have any patience. I seriously question if she'd be able to do it. You have to have infinite patience when you deal with pro se litigants."

Horne added that if re-elected, this will probably be his final term on the bench.

"Probably only four more years will be enough," he said. "Several of my clerks need four more years until they can retire and I'll go four more years because I don't want to leave them high and dry. Everybody will be where they need to be in four more years. I've got 12 people depending on me for jobs. I'm sure (Aten) would not keep any of my people. I feel a big responsibility to them. They've worked hard for me for a long time, so I'm going to do all I can to help them keep their jobs for another four years. But by then, I might be ready to go."

For more information, visit www.judgerudyhorne.com.

Comments

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Rudy Horne hs done an impeccable job as judge. It is incumbent on the lifelong citizens of Rockdale County to be acutely aware of the invasion of outsiders seeking to insert themselves into the tentacles of our local government through the unbridled use of lies and unbridled use of personal destruction.

In the last four years the democrat party has shown no hesitance in using any means, including race, to subvert our governments into progressive socialist entities. Every city and town that has been hoodwinked by this ploy dies quickly, and permanently.

Our entire country is devolving via a "shadow government", dividing us and trying to destroy America. It starts at the grass roots level, and must be ended there.

Vote for honesty and integrity, vote for Rudy Horne.

Sundance 2 years, 1 month ago

Aten is part of that New Rock Legal society. I think they are backed by Atlanta money and for some reason they have their eyes on Conyers. It all seems very sneaky and I wish I knew the root of it. As far as the Judgeship, I think Judge Horne has explained it very well in this article and the underlying assumption is that Aten will go easier on people and let a lot of things slide instead of holding people accountable when they break the law. I think crime will get worse under Phinia Aten.

CR66 2 years, 1 month ago

When has Aten said she would go easy of them. All of what you are saying is opinion and speculation. Most likely you never even met Ms. Aten in person. Get out of my county.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to see your receipt for the purchase of this county. You assume a lot.

Rob 2 years, 1 month ago

Everything I've heard says her campaign is almost single handidly financed by the one and only Bishop Eddie Long. Either way, we don't need more outside influence in Rockdale County. It's already going to take us years to clean up the mess that Richard and his cohorts have left us. Rudy Horne is a good man. And I've never heard anybody say a negative word about him.

CR66 2 years, 1 month ago

THAT IS A LIE. Or maybe you are misinformed. You may have her confused with republican past candidate Earnelle Winfrey. She ran for Superior court and she lost to Robert Mumford. It is widely known Winfrey attended New Birth. Get your facts right before you write false comments on here please. its getting sloppy folks.

Southside 2 years, 1 month ago

Get your facts straight. Ms Winfrey ran for a nonpartisan office. She never had to declare partyaffiliation

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah...that's it...it's Bush's fault, right?

travelingman 2 years, 1 month ago

Outside influence is what Rockdale needs as long as it's positive. Horne is an established icon of this county and deservedly so. He should remain in office. As far as outside influence goes, I would say to render credit where it is deserved regardless of its origin.

VPublicola 2 years ago

Interesting you mention such! Aten touts herself as this international and national star of high profile cases on her business website. In fact, she even lists some of these notable high profile cases. However, what she does not do is offer you a link to these stellar cases. So, the casual, uniformed reader (or voter) just takes her word for it and is likely to get taken as well. Thus, you have to do the work on your own since Ms. Aten is not so forthcoming.

Here are some of those high profile, stellar, notable cases that Ms. Aten is so proud of for making her an international and national media star:

State v. Nakia Burgess ATLANTA -- Nakia Burgess had a new job as a transcriptionist at an Atlanta office, but she didn't have anyone to take care of her 3-year-old girl. Her plan: Park the car, strap Ashante -- who had Down's Syndrome -- in a car seat, crack the windows and stick around long enough to keep her job, checking on her daughter whenever possible. The first time she went to the car, Burgess found the toddler playing with a chalkboard. But by the time she returned again, less than 90 minutes after arriving at work, she found Ashante unconscious. The child died after arriving at a hospital, where doctors said her temperature was 108 degrees. Police charged the 28-year-old Burgess with murder and cruelty to children. (http://onlineathens.com/stories/100402/new_20021004018.shtml)

ATLANTA - A judge has reduced charges against a woman whose daughter died of heat exhaustion after being left in a hot car. Municipal Court Judge Clinton Deveaux has agreed to reduce the charges against Nakia Burgess from felony murder to involuntary manslaughter and reckless conduct. Burgess was arrested October Second after leaving her three-year-old daughter - Asan'te - alone in the car while the 28-year-old went to work in an Atlanta office. Burgess says she left the child in the car because her day care had fallen through. (http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=188039)

State v. Joseph Brown In January 2004 prosecutors charged Brown with Demetria's murder. That May a judge ruled his prior convictions could not be entered as evidence. Even so, Brown agreed to plead guilty to assaulting and kidnapping Demetria, though not to killing her. "He maintains his innocence," says his lawyer Phinia Aten. "He had one case too many against him and decided it was in his best interest to plead." At Brown's sentencing on May 16, 2005, Williams stood before the court and addressed Brown. "I hate you and I think you are the scum of the earth," she told him, her voice rising with anger. "I hope you burn in hell." Brown was sentenced to 25 years in prison with the possibility of parole in 16 years. Prosecutors, now investigating Brown as a suspect in several cold cases, believe he'll serve his full sentence http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20148012,00.html

VPublicola 2 years ago

And a couple more:

State v. Jeremy ‘Slep’ Dunn (murderous gangster from a well-known gang in Fulton County) http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=203589&c=5 http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2010/09/22/irc-member-pleads-guilty-gets-three-life-sentences http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3823470

Sorrells v. State; April 18, 2006; GA Court of Appeals Phinia Aten represents Renard Sorrells convicted for armed robbery (2 counts). Case lost on Appeal. (http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-court-of-appeals/1270597.html)

more to come later...

Lorenzo 2 years, 1 month ago

I've heard Aten speak at one or two functions. She's very impressed with herself. I'm not impressed at all. Rudy Horne has been a great Magistrate Judge for Rockdale County. I've heard Rudy Horne speak on numerous occasions. He is polite, direct and down to earth. I've watched Judge Horne in court. His knowledge of both the law and the county are unquestionable. I shudder to think what will happen to Rockdale County if the New Rock Legal Society gets entrenched in our local political offices. Please take the time to look at the candidates and what they stand for, what they represent and who will represent the citizens of the county vs. outside special interests.

johnq123 2 years, 1 month ago

Rockdale Countians(old & new), please read the duties of. The MAGISTRATE COURT. For the little bit we know about Aten, can we really turn this offc. Over to her. I suggest you view the LWV forum tape, research her high profile cases, her cases in Rockdale(all 3), review her pro bono work, and her income from the last 3 years. I guarantee you will rush out to vote for Judge Horne. ! VOTE FOR RUDY HORNE, ROCKDALE NEED GOOD JURISTS !

kellygreen 2 years, 1 month ago

I did my research. I googled her and everything seems very impressive. what are you talking about sir?

johnq123 2 years, 1 month ago

Lies are usually impressive to political neophytes..

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Google research...now THERE'S a scientific and reliable method...not.

Google only reveals basics, and what she SAYS she has done, and will do. On the other hand, we have a solid, well-known public servant in the person of Rudy Horne. He has a record to run on, not just a list of democrat talking points and "gonna do's".

"everything SEEMS impressive" about Aten? Well, things "seemed" impressive about Oden, oz and Obama too, but the people have been shown the difference between rhetoric and actually doing the job by them.

"impressive" is a subjective term...subject to the morals, integrity, beliefs, experience, and intelligence of the one who is impressed.

We've had enough of slick talk in our county, and country. It's time the adults were put back in charge as there is another big democrat mess that needs cleaning up.

VPublicola 2 years, 1 month ago

"I did my research. I googled her and everything seems very impressive." - Reminds me of the recent car insurance commercial with the young lady touting that everything on the internet is truthful and then leaves with her date - a french model - she met on the internet.

I doubt you 'researched' all of Ms. Aten's aliases.

rmkelleyjr 2 years, 1 month ago

I have known Rudy much longer than he has been a Judge in Rockdale County. I have been a student of his at Rockdale County High School and witnessed the compassion with which he addressed his job then and the care and concern he had for each of his students. I was on the wrestling team as he worked to teach us wrestling skills during practice and encouraged us during matches. I have seen Rudy show this same devotion and compassion in the courtroom over the last quarter century and would challenge anyone to provide one instance where Rudy did not perform his duties as Judge in an impeccable manner. You can talk about political and racial issues all you want, but for this position, you want someone who is gifted in jurisprudence and whom will apply the law uniformly to all. Rudy meets and exceeds these qualifications and provides the perfect disposition to continue to serve as your Magistrate Judge. Why would you consider anyone else when you already know you have the most qualified and dedicated person in this position?

kt 2 years, 1 month ago

If I ever needed a magistrate judge, I'd want one who knew what the heck was going on and who would give me a fair shake.

Aten seems to talk a lot about getting people through the system faster, which seems like its going to lend to lots of mistakes and only one side of the story heard. Plus, with all her budget talks, services are going to be infinitely slower when she fires all these people!

It seems unfair that people are swooping in here, that aren't invested in the county, who didn't grow up here, don't live here, etc. trying to take over our county!

kellygreen 2 years, 1 month ago

I have lived here in Rockdale for 25 years. I remember when Horne became judge. I also know Horne and his family personally. Horne and I are about the same age and I have to tell you sometimes you have to know when to just give up. Horne has done a great job being judge but let that young lady have her day.

Sometimes it is important for us elders to lead by example and have some dignity. Horne I am your friend but even I know when its time to let it go. I've met Aten on a few occasions at some of the forums, and at first I was skeptical but she's won me over. She seems like a hard worker and theres no telling she will get the job done. I've seen this community grow and change, I cant say it might be for the better but who really knows. But thats how change is. tradition vs. innovation. An old story that has been told before I was born.

Judge Horne is a great guy, great sense of Humor about all this. But this is his first time having an opponent and hats off to Aten for being his first opponent in 16 years.

I have to tell you Aten has passion. She will do well as our next chief magistrate. I dont like to play sides even when I know the candidate personally. But I am a firm believer in doing the right thing. and frankly i'm not going deny Ms. Aten the opportunity to be a judge just because she is a democrat or her race.

She has worked hard to get here people. Dont discredit her. Show her some respect for getting where she is now. Obviously she must be qualified since she has been allowed to run for this position!

Aten has my vote. I suggest all of you to meet her in person then maybe you too will have a change of heart like I did.

johnq123 2 years, 1 month ago

Qualifying to run is simple, you must be of age, a citizen, and pay your qualifying fee. Every one that run for office has a passion, unfortunately passion and being impressive is no substitute for experience.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Bingo! You're right John. The world is full of "passionate" speakers, like carnival barkers, street preachers, pitchmen, community organizers, and yes, even presidents.

Talk is cheap, and people who don't walk their talk are eventually exposed as the frauds they are.

Tall tales, inuendoes, and lies, will propel people upwards in our society, but those types are like "gliders", and when a glider runs out of hot air, it comes right back to the ground. An true aircraft stays aloft on its own power, with an experienced pilot.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

"Obviously she must be qualified since she has been allowed to run for this position!"

Reminds me of the Pelosi statement, "You'll have to pass it to see what's in it.", regarding obamacare.

Or, upon receiving questions about obama's qualifications to be president, some liberal dope said, "Well of course he's qualified, he won, didn't he?".

Conyers_Resident 2 years, 1 month ago

Kellygreen, you (and I) are caught in an echo chamber here. You will never convince some of these folks to change their vote or their ways. Just wanted you to know that at least one person our here agrees with you. I voted early, and voted for Ms. Aten. I have met Judge Horne and his family and have nothing but respect for all of them. He has done a good job as far as I know. I think we need more women serving in puibic office. I met and spoke with Ms. Aten and she seems to me to be a good candidate and is cerainly qualified. All things being equal there between Judge Horne and Ms. Aten, I decided to vote for her. Even Judge Horne had to learn the ropes when he was elected as all new judges do. Now let the ranting begin about my "women" comment :~).

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

so you voted for Aten just because she is female and no other reason? Now that makes a LOT of sense

Conyers_Resident 2 years, 1 month ago

You missed the part about " All things being equal there between Judge Horne and Ms. Aten,"

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

No I didnt miss that part but its obvious why you are voting for Aten. So if all things are equal why is she your choice?

Southside 2 years, 1 month ago

Did "binder full of women" offend you, too?

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

I am not offended by the number or desire to have more women in public office. But voting for a female just because she if female irregardless of her qualifications is what bothers me.

Southside 2 years, 1 month ago

My qustion is under Conyers_Resident's response. It just came after yours.

johnq123 2 years, 1 month ago

Please remember Aten earlier stated as Magistrate Judge she would establish a drug court. After several months she realized that this purview lies beyond he boundaries of the Magistate Court. WE CAN'T AFFORD TRIAL AND ERROR IN THIS "high profile position".

Pay ATENtion, and vote for RUDY HORNE...

RyanK 2 years, 1 month ago

Please enlighten us.. Dont make accusations you cant back up.

Southside 2 years, 1 month ago

That doesn't count. He is for aten

RyanK 2 years, 1 month ago

Rudy Horne is a plain right out big fat lier! who does he think he's fooling! I have heard from numerous sources say he was unfair and deserved to be replaced immediately. Maybe he hasn't heard any complaints from his little backyard but the rest of the community has a lot to say.
Horne is out of touch with reality.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

You've heard "numerous sources"? Oh yeah, I think I know right where that bar is located.

I would like you to cite, say, three examples of Judge Horne alleged lying. or "unfairness" (a weasel democrat term, for sure) Be sure your "numerous sources" cite case numbers, dates, etc.

"if you can't run on your own record, make people run FROM you opponent" - B. Obama,

BTW...it's liar, not "lire"....and bold text does not make your candidate any stronger, it only shows your desperation.

CR66 2 years, 1 month ago

Typos happen. This is an online comment thread. Get over your self Elmo.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

It's not only you're typing that's faulty Ryan.

82011 2 years ago

Really, we need to try to use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. With spell check, you really have no excuse these days, unless you're ignorant.

Southside 2 years, 1 month ago

an you're going to back that up..when?

Lorenzo 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice, name calling. I've noticed when people have done no research and have not the slightest idea what they are talking about that they revert to name calling and trying to be wrong louder than anyone else. Please cite your numerous sources and let me know who in the community has a lot to say.

VPublicola 2 years, 1 month ago

Unfair judges! I'd imagine that most individuals, especially those not represented by a barrister, who has had a case before a Magistrate Judge and lost is of the opinion that they were treated unfairly. If any judge is truly being 'unfair' - whatever that means, as it is often relative- and not following the law, aka ethical misconduct, which must be substantiated with incontrovertible facts then the State of Georgia has a process in place to investigate and review such complaints. It is called the Judicial Qualifications Commission (JQC; http://www.gajqc.com/default.cfm). The process is simple - access their website, download the form, complete it and mail it to the address on the form.

As far as I am concerned any "numerous sources who say he was unfair" are discounted and irrelevant. Such rumors and inuendo are bunk until such a complaint has been officialy provided to the JQC and the JQC has issued an opinion or ruling. It's like taking for fact that every incarcerated individual is innocent just because they say so.

In this Magistrate race, we have two individuals running. Both are qualified for the position. One candidate has decades of experience as Magistrate (Judge Rudy Horne). The other has none (Phina Aten, aka - Phinia Cou Judkins Aten, Phinia Cou Yeshah Judkins, et. al.). One (Ms. Aten) has demonstrated dishonesty (e.g., falsely representing herself on campaign sign to mislead uninformed, unintelligent voters and continuing to propogate unsubstantiated rumors and inaccurate information relative to the Office of Magistrate Judge). Based on experience and character, as demonstrated through their actions, the best choice for Rockdale is to re-elect Judge Rudy Horne. It is just that simple.

ValuesPrinciples 2 years, 1 month ago

Do you teach your children to lie? What do you do when they lie to you? They get in trouble, you try to raise your children to be responsible adults. You want them to be ethical in their dealings with others as they live their lives. You know that will be the best path for them in all of their work and relationship dealings thru out their lives. You want them to be successful and you want them to pass those values on to their children, because you know that will ultimately make the world a better place. However, Ms Aten's parents did not seem to care about making the world a better place, They helped her focus on being a self centered shark, concerned only about winning a position that requires one to be ethical. Failure on the part of both her parents, and her own greed to attain a position based upon falsehoods.

Frizzlefry 2 years, 1 month ago

We are with you and for you, Rudy!

RyanK 2 years, 1 month ago

Horne's statements are false! Horne sounds ike a whimp in this article. He has not stated what he plans on doing in his last term. He's stuck. your time is up. face it, the people have decided. We want Aten!

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

Please enlighten us..which statements are false? Dont make accusations you cant back up.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Who exactly is "we", Ryan? NewRock?

Which "people have decided"? I thought the election was November 6th...you been stuff ing ballot boxes? Doe these fictitious people include names from tombstones?

You're just a one man cheering committee for Aten, aren't you? Are you two related, or something?

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh, and it's "wimp", not "whimp"...you must have been thinking of "chimp..

byhorne 2 years, 1 month ago

Judge Horne's statement really should begin with 'once upon a time' because it is the closest thing to a fairy tale that I have read lately. It is quite an assumption to state that Ms. Aten would dismiss all his staff if elected. There are maybe at most two folks who serve at his pleasure; the rest are employed by the county. I do not doubt his knowledge of the law, just as I do doubt Ms. Aten's. I do doubt, however is fatherly concern for his staff members future retirements. By the way folks, in most Georgia counties, a law degree is not a requirement for Chief Magistrate - any citizen can run for the office. Rockdale some years ago found it necessary to make such a requirement (law degree) for its Chief Magistrate. Many of the pro Horne comments appear to elude to the issue of race. Come on folks, please don't let that be your sole reason for voting. VOTE ATEN!

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Then, I might suggest that Ms. Atem migrate to one of those magical counties where a "law degree" trumps personal integrity and experience.

I mean, if this position is so far beneath her, why does she want it so badly?

Is it in the NewRock manifesto (read:ACORN) to place members in strategic government offices to complete their rise of power and control? It's quite obvious, you know.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!

Byhorne wins for being the first in this discussion to play the race card.

But, we all knew it was coming, as that is the last vestige of those who have run out of valid arguments.

VPublicola 2 years, 1 month ago

Elmo,

Is this what you were looking for:

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

Yep that's it...if you have to play it, you've lost the argument.

peenut811 2 years, 1 month ago

First of all, let me just say that I am a republican and will be voting all republican except for Rudy Horne. The main reason that I will not vote for Horne is due to his unfair rulings that he makes in his court. If you are not part of or represented by the good ole boy club of Rockdale don’t expect your case to be heard or handled fairly. We need change in Rockdale!

BOCWatch 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm with Frustrated, there are a number of people that are stating that Judge Horne's statements are false, but no one is coming up with the facts. As for those false statements against Aten, you can find them here:

Magistrate candidate Aten does not have facts

Athen's stances change with the wind; at the first judicial debate at Rockdale Think Tank she stated that she thought the Magistrate and Probate positions should be non partisan. At the last Think Tank forum she tauted that this position must now be partisan.

Rockdale needs a judge that will rule based on the facts; Athen is not that person! She has made public statements based on "my understanding is"...Ms. Aten has no idea what the budget of the Magistrate office is, she once again relies on hearsay. You can see this in the LWV candidate forum:

2012 LWV Candidate Forum Video

Search Google, Yahoo, Bing, whoever you want and you will find the same answer about Ms. Aten, that is she is making this stuff up as she goes. Rockdale can't afford to have her as Magistrate.

CR66 2 years, 1 month ago

BOC where are you getting this info? As I recall it was Rudy Horne who flip flopped between parties? Why? I want a Judge who is firm on his beliefs and what party he belongs to. I want a judge who practices openness and transparency, not secrecy and lies. Vote for Aten

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

What's your next rant for Aten, "hope and change"?

It's not about what you want, now is it?

As with millions of American patriots, Rudy didn't leave the democrat party, the democrat party left him. The democrat party has gone so far left into radicalism and corruption, millions got out of it.

Symbolism over substance is their modus operandi...and you're proving it with every post.

BOCWatch 2 years, 1 month ago

CR66, make no mistake about it, these are the words of your candidate at the first judicial debate at the Rockdale Thinktank, Then at last month's meeting she changed her mind...here is the video:

You are right, Judge Horne did change parties back in the mid 90s. He along with all the other rational people left the Democrat party during this time. This is the same timeframe that the rest of the state went red.

Conyers_Resident 2 years, 1 month ago

"Rational People" indeed....

Dixiecrats never changed ways, just labels. (Not saying Judge Horne was a Dixiecrat. He just wanted to keep his job. Reading these posts, I see the logic of his decision. )

BOCWatch 2 years, 1 month ago

As Elmo stated Conyers_Resident the party left the people. You are correct in your statement, The Democrats from 20 years ago were certainly more conservative than the current party; There are still plenty of these Democrats around that make changes in the community without all of the fanfare, I work with them on issues almost every day, it should also be duely noted that they typically do not support the very liberal end of the spectrum.

VPublicola 2 years, 1 month ago

Aten lives in my neighborhood. She has proven to me that she is dishonest and lacks the knowledge to satisfactorily perform the job of Magistrate. Horne has my vote and, apparently, none of Ms. Aten's neighbors are supporting her.

travelingman 2 years, 1 month ago

Horne has proven himself to be both competent and tough on crime. If only all the components of the law enforcement community shared his work ethic.

BOCWatch 2 years, 1 month ago

During every election cycle we have at least one candidate that can't tell the truth; in 2010 it was Courtney Dillard, this year is is obvious that it will be Phinia Aten.

Someone sent me the latest robo call from Ms Aten; nothing but propaganda about the Magistrate budget. The same budget that is below 2007 levels; Ms. Aten is not gaining any favors by lying about her opponent. Not exactly who I would want as a judge...

Phinia Aten's latest robo call; more propaganda for the people!

byhorne 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh no Elmo, you have that distinction of playing the race card. All of your comments elude to Ms. Aten's race, your mentioning of ACORN, etc..

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

ACORN is an organization, not a person. Organizations have no race, organizations have no gender, the only group together to do things like, in ACORN's case, voter fraud.

If you're not all in based on race, then why are you arguing the point?

Be advised, and take it to the bank, your little race card ploy will no work, and it will not shut me up. It's been played so many times, it's like boy who cried wolf, nobody's listening.

The comments by me, and others, are made on the grounds of experience, performance, and reputation. I still have the right to judge a candidate on my observation and perception of those things, and I intend to.

My judgement against your candidate is the same as you having an opinion against Judge Horne, do you dislike him because of race? That must be it, because he has a lot of experience, and a stellar reputation.

Try your con job on the few left that still cringe at the race card...I DON'T!

BOCWatch 2 years, 1 month ago

When all else fails use the Liar, Liar Pants on Fire Tactic...

When all else fails...

Frustrated 2 years, 1 month ago

We all know Oden conducts the meetings the way he wants and allows things that are against the rules of order for the meetings. This has been clear when Nesbitt went on his rant about Mr Smiley a few weeks ago and continually letting Ms Dean make her comments.

byhorne 2 years, 1 month ago

So Elmo, neither the NAACP (an organization) nor the KKK (an organization) are not associated with a particular race? Your comments further suggest that you assume I am of color simply because I back a black candidate. I know Judge Horne very well and it is not the color of his skin that causes my opposition to his continuance on the bench. In the end whom ever wins the election will be ordained by God. Elmo, examine your heart and motives.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

It is by examining my "heart and motives" that I arrived at my beliefs over 50 years ago.

Your giveaway line is "because I back a black candidate"...you see this election based on one factor...color.

BTW, your reading comprehension skills could use a touch up here and there, I did not use the words "associated with" regarding the organizations, I said "an organization" does not have race or gender.

Now, go wave your race card at someone else, I'm done with you.

byhorne 2 years, 1 month ago

BTW Elmo, I am not black. It is crystal clear that you have nothing but RACE on your mind and nothing else. Take it easy Elmo.

Elmo 2 years, 1 month ago

You seem to be under the impression that I give a d*** what color you are, I don't.

heresyafacts 2 years, 1 month ago

It is crystal clear that Aten and others of her ilk having nothing but RACE on their minds, when they found and join organizations like NewRock, Gate City Bar Association, and Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys. She will not get my vote -- nor will anyone affiliated with NewRock or other race-centered groups.

peenut811 2 years, 1 month ago

I am voting all republican with the exception of Judge Horne. This is due to the some unjust decisions that have been made in his court. If you are not in or represented by the good ole boy club of Rockdale then he will make unjust rulings. Rockdale needs change!

WatchingRockdale 2 years, 1 month ago

Peenut, can you elaborate more, please? What were these decisions and how were they unjust? The few people on here who keep making allegations have yet to follow them up with facts or examples... could you please explain? Often times when people are in court (not just Judge Horne's) they feel like they got an unjust decision because they didn't win the judgment.... but in actuality, the judge was just following the law. Could this have possibly been the case in your situation? I most certainly would not like a judge that ruled against me either but as long as it was fair and just, then he did his job appropriately. People being upset with a judge is inherent in that profession, and comes with the territory. But if it the law was applied fairly and consistently, then he did his job the way it needs to be done, even if some people disagree with the outcome.

peenut811 2 years ago

WatchingRockdale, why would I give those type of details on a public thread? The fact is I will not vote for Horne, which is my right. I feel that Rockdale needs a change, but that is my opinion. I dont need to prove or provide details of anything to you.

Elmo 2 years ago

Why not give them? Unless the Judge has put a gag order on them, they're public record anyway.

Frustrated 2 years ago

peenut youre the one that made the allegation now back it up with facts not just your opinion.

WatchingRockdale 2 years ago

Why would you put those types details?? Because you made the allegations, sir. (Or ma'am.) I didn't ask for party names or case #'s, merely some facts and examples. And of course it's your right to vote for whoever you like, this was never in dispute. But a person who takes the time to make allegations SHOULD support that with evidence and facts. It truly does speak to one's character when this doesn't happen. Like you said, you don't 'need' to prove details, but really, shouldn't you 'want' to?? This is what informed and educated voters do.... especially voters who take the time to make allegations against candidates. This type of behavior only furthers our suspicions of the type of people supporting Ms. Aten. Uninformed. Misguided.

Perhaps you lost the case in Judge Horne's court for similar reasons??? No facts or evidence to support your case.

WatchingRockdale 2 years ago

Why would you put those types of details?? Because you made the allegations, sir. (Or ma'am.) I didn't ask for party names or case #'s, merely some facts and examples. And of course it's your right to vote for whoever you like, this was never in dispute. But a person who takes the time to make allegations SHOULD support that with evidence and facts. It truly does speak to one's character when this doesn't happen. Like you said, you don't 'need' to prove details, but really, shouldn't you 'want' to?? This is what informed and educated voters do.... especially voters who take the time to make allegations against candidates. This type of behavior only furthers our suspicions of the type of people supporting Ms. Aten. Uninformed. Misguided.

Frustrated 2 years ago

Since this article was printed I have seen nothing but accusations from Aten and her supporters that no one seem to be able or want to back up with facts. If she and her supporters want to try and win an election over false or unproven accusations and allegations I would shudder to think what she would do if she actually got elected. Would she be fair to not only the defendants in the case but to the police as well? I have a feeling it would be all one sided and not in favor of the police. But thats just my OPINION.

peenut811 2 years ago

I will say it again; I do not have to provide any information to you all. Do you own research and educate yourself. At the end of the day if you feel comfortable for the candidate that choose to vote for then that is your right. Quit trying bully people on this thread that do not share the same views or beliefs that you do about the candidate. I am not an Aten supporter and will not be voting for her either. I will be voting for Peenut chief judge of Rockdale County Magistrate Court!

Elmo 2 years ago

Then, people can only logically conclude that your claim is nothing but mud-slinging innuendo, making it completely null and void for any decision making purpose by the readers.

If valid, it's obviously a court case that did not go your way, and is totally no concern to anyone else, but you. But then, judges aren't in office to please everyone, they are there to enforce the law.

So, I agree with you, everyone should stop asking you for the proof and let you go into the pouting booth and vote any way you want, it's your right!

But I think besmirching someone's good name, and reputation, without proof, smacks somewhat of slander.

But you've publicly declared you're not going to vote for Horne, your goal has been attained, your vent is complete, and your defiance of the facts has been noted.

Personally, I could care less...

peenut811 2 years ago

Elmo, obviously you do care or you would not continue to be so argumentative about it. Also, you have no idea what you are talking about. You are only assuming that this is about court case that did not go my way. You could not be more wrong in your assumptions. Get over it, not everyone thinks he is or has been the right person for this position. He should really think about retiring, not waste another four years of taxpayers money.

Frustrated 2 years ago

please tell us of the unjust decisions Judge Horne has made. If it didnt involve a court case of yours then you shouldnt be afraid to share them in a public forum. You dont have to name specific names but at least give us some facts.

Elmo 2 years ago

Actually, I meant I don't care if you satisfy your petulant ego or not. Nor do I care about your reasons for the way you vote or the reasons for it.

And, you're right, - in fact - don't know what I'm talking about based on your cryptic diatribe, and neither does anyone else. That's why several posters have asked for details....DUH,

But I can have an opinion about your motives so long as you can blast Horne, and post your opinion of him.

So, back at you...get over it! (and yourself).

Southside 2 years ago

At least you think he will win the election since you are worried about his next four years.

WatchingRockdale 2 years ago

And yet again, peenut, you're making allegations without any facts to back it up. You said he's wasted taxpayer money??? How has he done that? And DO NOT cite anything that Phinia has said since she has now been PROVEN to be a blatant LIAR!! But then again, anyone who supports an unethical candidate and proven liar probably doesn't like, or understand the need for, facts and evidence.

His budget has not increased since 2007. And if fact, it's lower NOW than it was in 2007. (From the article and documents produced) So what other allegations would you like to try? Another lie "Schizo-Phinia" has made is something about his time on the bench. But yet again, she was proven to be a liar. The record produced shows that Judge Horne has not been off the bench for a day this year that wasn't required from either mandatory training days or a conflict of interest. (When his signs were stolen and the thief came before him).

Look, if you don't like him "just because" then say so, and stop trying to peddle your lies. Unlike Elmo, I do care about this. It's frustrating to see people make completely untrue allegations about a great, upstanding citizen who has dedicated his life for service to the county for the past 30+ years. I've known Mr. Horne for many years now and never until schizo-phinia came along has there ever been a hint of controversy or unethical behavior about Mr. Horne. Yet, in the 15 mins she's had here, she's been completely surrounded by nothing but controversy and unethical behavior! How do people not see this?? Oh, and go watch the video from the League of Women Voters.... she was asked what the magistrate court does and she couldn't even answer the question! She avoided it completely and started spouting more lies about the budget. We're talking about a JUDGE here folks... not a stock boy or a parking lot attendant!! She doesn't even know what the court does! Judges should be, and NEED to be, held to a higher standard!!! No other race in the county has been like this... she has brought it to the gutter. Seriously, watch the video! A couple of months ago she was saying that she'd create a drug court.... but oh wait.... the magistrate judge CANNOT DO THAT!! AND SHE HAD NO IDEA! She knows she's unqualified so she has to make up lies about Judge Horne to deflect the attention off of her lacking capabilities. If you don't like Judge Horne, fine. Then I'd advise to just leave that ballot spot blank. But people, DO NOT vote for this lady. I guarantee Rockdale will immediately regret that decision. A proven liar. Proven to be unethical.... over and over again, after only just a few months.

Imagine how bad it'll be after four years of her lies. Vote Horne or leave it blank.

johnq123 2 years ago

Aten should follow Hadley example. The Dartmouth grad understands that he knows nothing about the Tax Commissioner job, so he keeps his mouth shut to avoid drawing attention to his race.. Aten feels she is qualified based on her "high profile cases" and her court room experience..

VOTE HORNE!

byhorne 2 years ago

I too have known Judge Horne for many years and he does not possess all those sterling qualities you cite. There are many ways the magistrate court could be improved. Ms Aten is more than qualifed to sit on the bench and perform as Chief Magistrate. When you consider that throughout the state of Georgia a law degree is not required for the position of Chief Magistrate, both Ms. Aten and Judge Horne are equally qualified. Watching Rockdale states that Ms. Aten is a liar. Well I would ask the readers to read Judge Horne's statement regarding his concern about his staff losing their jobs if he is defeated. Nothing could be further from the truth. Of his twelve members only two are appointed by him; the rest are county employees and would have their jobs regardless of who sits on the bench. Fellow citizens I would hate to think that this race has become a 'black and white' issue, but it appears to be shaping up that way.

BOCWatch 2 years ago

Byhorne, you are incorrect in your assumption about the Magistrate employees, all of the employees of the Magistrate Court answer to the Chief Magistrate Judge and are hired/fired at the leisure of the Judge.

This is no different than any other elected judicial position, Tax Commissioner, Sheriff or Clerk of Courts. Each of these elected officials do their own hiring/firing; no other elected official (BOC) has any say as to who they may or may not hire. The BOC only approves their budgets which would include staff positions but they would have no right to personnel issues.

If you don't believe this go back and watch the Supeior Court budget hearing from last year: http://bocwatch.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=576&p=1935&hilit=2012+budget#p1944

Civicduty88 2 years ago

I voted last week for Aten and that was the only person Im happy to say I feel confident in. Vote for Phinia Aten.

Southside 2 years ago

Dang! The other folks you voted for must have been something

Frustrated 2 years ago

so you dont feel confident with the other people you voted for? Doesnt say much for your choice making thought process.

Frustrated 2 years ago

why should I lay off? I call em like I see em.

Southside 2 years ago

Sounds like we have an uneasy rider in the group.

Elmo 2 years ago

"Thought process"?

Frustrated, you assume way to much here.

heresyafacts 2 years ago

Ms. Aten, we know you voted for yourself. But saying you lack confidence in anyone else is just taking it too far...

easyrider 2 years ago

Same here! Aten has my vote!

byhorne 2 years ago

BOCWatch, your logic does not hold up. Under your thinking, a newly elected sheriff could terminate the 200 plus deputies, the Clerk of Courts could fire all the staff! Of course the Chief Magistrate could dismiss an employee for just cause. Even such a dismissal would have to upheld after an appeal. All employees of the Magistrate Court undergo the scruitny of the human resources department. Once hired they must participate in the Rockdale County Retireement contribution fund, adhere to all county rules for employees, etc.. Again, I state that the Magistrate employees, with the exceptions of Judge Horne's clerk of court, judicial assistant and his associate judges, are protected under the county's rules of termination.

BOCWatch 2 years ago

Byhorne, my post has nothing to do with logic, just the way elected officials interact with the county. It is what it is; you can believe what you want but you are exactly right that a new Sheriff could in fact fire every deputy under his command. As could the Clerk of Courts, Tax Commissioner and any other judicial elected office, With GA being a right to work state there doesn't even have to be cause.

While you are correct that each of these officers do use county HR, benefits, etc. the elected official themselves are the final say as to who is hired and who is fired.

byhorne 2 years ago

BOCWatch, you are partially correct in that the elected official or is selected assistant has the say about hiring. I know of a couple of instances where the firing by officials did not hold up. One involved the sheriff a few years ago when he tried to fire an outstanding deputy and the deputy prevailed and kept his position in the sheriff's dept. Only a fool woud assume the duties of an office and fire the experienced staff already in place. So again, Horne's statement that all his staff's positions would be replaced by others appointed by Aten is a play on emotions.

Frustrated 2 years ago

Do you REALLY think Aten would keep Judge Hornes present staff if she got elected? Maybe for a few weeks but they would all be gone as soon as she could get them replaced with her friends.

Southside 2 years ago

I'd say she has five or six if you go by the commenters in this thread.

CR66 2 years ago

I think it is interesting how Rockdale Citizen censors other users comments. I think it is also interesting how they call this news. This online thread is biased. From my understanding and several other sources, Rockdale Citizen allows any comment to be made about Aten, no matter how rude, false or unfair it is to be allowed. While any comment made against Horne is censored and rejected to post. Makes you wonder. Lets see if my critique will survive the moderator.

Frustrated 2 years ago

Here we go again with the "RC sensors my comments" again. "From my understanding and other sources"..who are your sources? Are they employees of the paper that have first hand knowledge? It appears to me the RC will publish comments on both sides. Just because there have been more comments against Aten dont assume RC is censoring the comments. Maybe its just well informed voters.

Zo 2 years ago

Please post I'm for the current judge, but trust me the rockdale citizen do censor(they have discarded 100's of my comments). Emo, vpub, & a few others comments do not get censored at all. If they comment at 3am it's posted right then & there. Please post

Elmo 2 years ago

NOTE TO CR66: This is not the "news" page, this is the "comments" page. Rockdale Citizen has a clearly defined menu on the home page that will direct you to the "news" page.

The fact that you are overly sensitive - at an almost adolescent level - to critiques of your choice of candidate does not alter the fact that there are others who don't, and won't, agree with you, or your candidate.

It has become clear in America that those who shout "unfair" the loudest are usually the most self-centered of the populace, who are not really interested in "their share", they want it all.

So, put forth your best case for your candidate, and then hold on to your hat...candidate preference and opinion is still a "right" for everyone.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

CR66 2 years ago

I'm not assuming anything! RC censors comments. Makes me wonder who actually produces and reads this newspaper anyway...So far it appears to be mostly biased republicans. By the way Frustrated, its censor not sensor.

RyanK 2 years ago

Hey CR66 sorry to break it to you...This is a comment page. So unfortunately theres no rules in here. I just hope people out there don't take anything that most of these bozos on here are saying as truth. At the end of the day you either know the facts or you don't. You are either a party fanatic or you believe in voting for the right person.

Straight to the point- do the right thing and vote for Aten.

JayPee 2 years ago

113 comments? This has to be a new RC record.

Lorenzo 2 years ago

That is a lot of commenting. Not sure if it's really all about Rudy and Aten or just regular folks wanting to be heard. I truly hope that by the end of the day we see Rudy Horne still in office and Aten back to chasing ambulances. I would also like to see Oden and Oz taking their show on the road...anywhere but here. Ruth Wilson can take her lies and self-serving ways somewhere else. George Levett will make a great Coroner. The Sheriff's race is too close to call and they are both good men so Rockdale County wins no matter what happens there. The National elections terrify me because we are either voting for incompetence or mismanagement....depends on which side you vote. Neither party has a decent candidate running for anything.

kellygreen 2 years ago

I took my entire family of 7 to vote today. Aten has our vote!! Bye bye Horne. Thanks for everything. Enjoy your retirement.

kellygreen 2 years ago

Hate to say it, but I told you so.