Rockdale Citizen Poll for April 7, 2013

The Citizen Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-483-7108, ext. 402, email poll@rockdalecitizen.com or complete the online form.

"March 29, 2013, as we celebrate this Good Friday, I am reminded that it was 10 years ago today, March 29, 2003, that one of Rockdale County's own, Diego Rincon, made the ultimate sacrifice of his life in service to his adopted country. While thinking he was going to the aid of citizens in Najaf, Iraq, he was killed by an explosion. Pfc. Rincon volunteered for his military service without benefit of being a citizen of this country, an honor bestowed posthumously. It is my hope that there are still many in this community that remember his sacrifice for his family, and the rest of us in the community, state, and nation; and that we also remember the many women and men before and after him that have served and sacrificed for us all. God Bless you Diego."

"As a teacher, I found out that we are going to a new computer program next year that keeps up with grades and attendance. I am glad but I also want to know who decided on this latest one and how much it costs. Our school board is struggling to meet budget every year and we have people making huge salaries that should know better than throwing money around. Pick the best thing available and stop wasting money."

"There's a home in south Rockdale county with a huge wood pile next to the street, junk all over the front, side and back yards which are all visible from the street. The latest addition to the 'beauty' is a toilet on the front porch. If it's not bad enough driving by the place every day, what must their neighbors think? Do we really have a code enforcement department that enforces the codes? It is an eyesore and could be attracting vermin and doesn't even appear safe for human habitation."

"I would like to thank God, the first of the month, and an RCSO-delivered eviction notice for ridding my neighborhood of two rental nuisances. You can never know how wonderful it is after a year to be able to walk out to get the mail or do yard work without packs of pit bulls howling and trying to knock their fences down so they can rip me to shreds. Blessed peace. I think I'll plant some flowers!"

"Now that Beverly Hall's been indicted, I wonder if all the folk screaming about haters have the nerve to come out and admit they were wrong for supporting her. Black folk don't need to cheat, lie and steal to get ahead; there are plenty of us making it through brains and hard work and belief in making things better, not taking money and cheating the community and especially the children. We need to stop protecting these lying fools, and stop the get mine thinking and letting people cheat, because you ain't helping nobody but the cheater. Letting them do what they do just tears down the community as a whole. Look what it did to the kids in this case, and they deserved the best we could give them."

"Do the animal shelters in Newton and Rockdale adopt out cats? If so, you would never know it, based on their 'adoption of the week' things for the paper. I only ever see dogs there and the last thing we need around here is more dogs."

"Say what you want. Everyone knows that online degrees are not as good. It requires less work and ability. Yes, online education serves the needs of students who cannot afford or are too lazy to go to a regular college. Just like fast food restaurants serve meals that satisfy basic immediate hunger. But don't try to claim that they are as good."

----"The 10 countries with the highest rates of child marriage are: Niger, Chad and Central African Republic, Bangladesh, Guinea, Mozambique, Mali, Burkina Faso and South Sudan, and Malawi. That's right -- all but one are in Africa, where girls are routinely married off at puberty (13 or younger) to any old goat who pays their family the right price. Think about that next time you call yourself 'African-American' rather than 'American.'"

"I do not have children in the schools here any longer but I fear for those that do. Education is the only way up for a child. They need a good start and those who are disruptive can just sit in the hall. "

"As I grow older I understand that people are not as sensitive as they used to be. This is the reason why. My mother said I was 'husky.' The lady at Belk said I should go to 'Big and Tall' section. The kid at Walmart said I was 'fat' and my doctor told me I was 'obese.' Which one is it?"

"On a Friday early in March I had to call the Rockdale County sheriff to report the theft of an iPhone from my son at a Rockdale County school. The teacher had called the office to report the theft but the resource officer was not contacted because it was quitting time -- 3 p.m. The phone was stolen by a student ... who took the phone off the teacher's desk in another classroom. When I called Monday after the weekend the school administrator recognized the person I identified as stealing the phone and said that he was withdrawing from class because he lives out of district in Newton County. That same day I gave the resource officer the information and the serial number for the cell phone but he did not act on the information given. The student was bragging all day Tuesday that he stole the phone. What does it take to stop crimes in schools? How many more crimes go unreported?"

Comments

WayBack 1 year, 5 months ago

For the parent whose child's iphone was stolen: I'm so sorry for your loss (those phones are expensive), but do you realize that those kids are stealing each other's phones all day long? All day. Every time teachers and administrators turn around, some child has had an iphone/smart phone/ipad/ipod/expensive headphones/shoes/whatever stolen. I understand your frustration, but the reality is that stealing is an epidemic among these kids and it would be necessary to hire people just to investigate thefts in order to track down every missing object. I prefer the SRO and administrators' focus to be on protection of students, not searching for lost and stolen student electronics. Phones are often located, but many times students don't even report the loss or theft. A possible solution for families would be what my mom always told me when I was a student a million years ago-- don't take anything to school that you're worried about losing, getting stolen, or another student breaking. I know a handful of teachers who do not personally own nice phones or bring their personal electronics (ipads, etc.) to school because they know that even teachers' things are targets. School is a public venue. Buy your child a throw-away phone and reward him with a nice phone as a graduation present. Their grades might improve, too, because they won't be on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter all day.

Or, ban cell phones and other communication devices from schools altogether. It seems that these phones have become a form of addiction to young people. They cling to them like a dying man to an oxygen mask. It seems their entire self worth is tied to who is texting and/or tweeting them.

Most of us from the pre-cell phone generation know full well that people can survive just fine without these devices. Maybe without a 24/7 link to some helicopter parents, students would pay more attention in class.

In the past schools didn't allow students to bring their toys, or pets, or even transistor radios to class, demanding that the students behave and pay attention.

Even teachers don't need these phones in class; there are phones in the school office, or in the teachers lounges.

Schools are not centers for entertainment, baby-sitting, or fun...they are for education, and students need to grow up knowing something more than how to send a text message. Else, they'll wind up 30 years old, with no job, on welfare, spending day tweeting on their government provided cell phones.

Many of today's educators grew up in the beginning of the age of computers, but seem to forget that the people who invented them learned in schools with notebook paper, pencils, and chalkboards. Without a good foundation in the basics, tweeting and texting are about as far as reading skills will progress in today's young people.

Computers are wonderful tools of learning, but without the basics of education they're merely venues for video games.

Computers are not going to do educators' jobs for them.

WayBack 1 year, 5 months ago

If you think you'll find many educators-- doesn't matter how old they are-- who would disagree with you about having student phones or their personal electronic devices in the classroom, you've never met a teacher. Mostly, we hate them. We hate having to tell students to put their phones away. We hate when they refuse. We hate when they force us to write them up. We hate when their parents get upset with us because their child's property was stolen. Because we don't think they should be there in the first place. And I just wasted ten minutes of valuable class time telling a student to put something away that should not even be in my classroom, in my opinion (thus, my comment above about buying a "throw-away phone").

If you think classroom teachers are the reason student cell phones and electronic devices are allowed in schools, you have no idea how things work.

I'm not sure how you took my reply to a frustrated parent to this end: "Computers are not going to do educators' jobs for them." I don't think anything in my response to the parent suggested that I liked student electronics or that I am expecting computers (did I even mention computers?) to do my job.

Sorry, I didn't say "teachers" should take the phones away, I meant the school - as a system - should ban them in schools, period. Had I meant "teachers" were solely responsible, I wouldn't have used the word "educators", which goes all the way to the top.

Stop being so touchy...I'm on your side.

WayBack 1 year, 5 months ago

Sorry about overreacting-- things feel a little touchy in education these days!

Or better yet, quit making an issue of it. The only times a cellphone caused a disruption when I was in these schools, was when a teacher or administrator decided to make an issue of it. Instead of ignoring it and continuing to teach, everything came to a standstill just because an "adult" caught a glimpse of electronics. Who cares if students text at lunch? Would you rather them get bored and start a food fight? Who cares if they're paying attention to the phone instead of the teacher, would you rather them start talking to their neighbor disrupting them and anyone in earshot?

You have to be joking. Tell me you are joking.

No, see unlike most other people on here, I don't sweat the small stuff, and if our society didn't, it would be a whole lot better. Phones don't disrupt classes unless the people in charge let them disrupt things. If they ring and prove to be a true disruption, handle it exactly like you handle someone talking loudly in the middle of class. Phones aren't anything special and shouldn't be given any more attention than anything else.

heresyafacts 1 year, 5 months ago

No, really, who cares if they're paying attention to the teacher? Who cares if they're cheating on tests? Who cares if they're sexting during class? Who cares if they're facebooking or tweeting? Who cares if these morons can read or write anything other than leet or emoticons when they 'graduate'? Let's just let them do what they want while the taxpayers foot the bill for their so-called 'instruction' -- at the highest mil in the state -- because, you know, cellphones are NEVER a disruption in class.

If you're young enough to have had cellphones in high school, that explains a lot of your ridiculous posts.

They're only ridiculous if you don't live in the real world.

All kooks think their world is the real world...

Plaincitizen 1 year, 5 months ago

As a teacher in Rockdale, I am amazed at how little other teachers actually know about what goes on in the district, and how and why we spend our money. For the person who commented about the new technology program - well, you should know that we use these programs to do our state reporting (which gives us funding) and we need the to be efficient and accurate. Part of our strategic plan includes the technology component, and the portal gives a ton of information about our technology priorities if you want to learn more. However, most of the time technology is funded from a different pot of money anyway. We are all hurting from the past few years of budget cuts - students and teachers alike. I'm tired of not getting a raise, but at least I have a job. In my opinion, Rockdale has been much better off than the surrounding counties. I know this because I ask questions before I criticize. Not just to the comment above, but to all of the teachers who are constantly negative, why are you teaching here? There are many teachers out of work who would gladly take your place.

AWOL 1 year, 5 months ago

So are you saying that the proper research was done before purchasing the current grade/attendance/info program? That there is no possible way we could have avoided switching to this program with several hours of training for every teacher in the county plus all of the install and maintenance cost without knowing that it would not meet our needs and would require us scrapping it after one year? Now we have to go through the process of implementing another program. I do not know exact costs of these programs but I am sure they are not cheap. Maybe the teacher above did not know where the money comes from but someone in leadership can do a better job on this. I think the complaint is valid.

Plaincitizen 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, a lot of research went into the new program. From what I've been told it is especially helpful because we will not have to log into different programs to get only pieces of information. Everything we need will be supposedly be in one place and several other districts are using it. It will help us accurately report and save time for everyone including teachers.

VPublicola 1 year, 5 months ago

"Everything we need will be supposedly be in one place. It will help us accurately report and save time for everyone including teachers."

It is my understanding these same claims were made about the current system, "Grade Speed". Yet, here we go again!

The solution is so ridiculously simple that it isn't even funny. With sound management you can enhance education with a lot less money and in record time. If it were up to me the first thing that I would do is call an open PTA meeting and ask the parents directly how important education is to them as compared to sports, social functions, cheer leading, and anything else that they would like to bring up. Many parents are opposed to education or homework if it interferes with other things that they cherish with greater importance such as sports or cheer leading. Parents, your complaints have been heard and you are getting what you are asking for.

LoveIt 1 year, 5 months ago

Regarding the house with the woodpile and trash out front. Has anyone in the neighborhood called Code Enforcement? You know we have so few officers that they don't just ride around looking for problems. They are too busy following up on reported issues. Better yet, did YOU call County Code Enforcement? 770-278-7103

Instead of complaining in this column which does nothing to make things better, take responsibility and action yourself. Call Code Enforcement at 770-278-7103. Be sure to have the street address of the problem. And no, they do NOT tell people who called to complain. They will take care of it quickly even if they have to take the offender to court.

You have the power to make this community better, but you have to care enough to take action. Complaining in this column only makes our community look worse than it is, because you and readers assume that the County knows about a problem. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

buck 1 year, 5 months ago

That house has looked like that for 30 years. You would think that they would have spotted it by now! Oh wait this is Rockdale code enforcement!

TrueLife 1 year, 5 months ago

African-American, Black, Negro, Colored, etc. Who cares!! My issue is that you were soooo intrigue by the 13 yr. olds marrying, in exchange for goats, that you found it necessary to bore us with this nonsense. Seems like you have some issues.