Rockdale Citizen Poll for April 28, 2013

The Citizen Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-483-7108, ext. 402, email poll@rockdalecitizen.com or complete the online form.

"I was calling to leave my opinion on the arrest of the person who robbed the Publix Supermarket at Ga. Highway 212 and 138, at Smyrna Crossing. I just wanted to say that I am very proud of our new chief, Eric Levett. What a wonderful job they did to deter any more people from coming out of DeKalb County thinking they can just commit a crime in Rockdale County and get away with it. I think it was a big atrocity for that person to use to a cab driver to put that person in harm's way along with the good folks at Publix."

"Listen, we've got class in Rockdale County. Our robbers take a taxi to work."

"Well, I was calling about all of the natural disasters that we have now. You cannot tell me that the world was not a safer place before they started banning prayer in all of these places. For the people that pushed for that (no prayer) ... Thanks for nothing!"

"Today is Friday, April 19. I read an article in this paper earlier in the week that described an incident at Heritage High where two students were caught in the theater having intercourse. I just tried to look at it and it was not coming up when I searched keywords. Has the story been retracted? It seems kind of suspicious."

(Editor's Note: The headline for that story was "RCSO investigating report of sex on campus." I searched on our website for "sex on campus" and the story came up. Hope this helps.)

"Dear commenters. Please stop making derogatory remarks about MARTA. Clark does not like it."

"Does anyone else get thoroughly agitated while trying to read the online paper, because of the "drop down ads", that are constantly dropping down while you are trying to read the paper? If the advertisers can afford these ads, why don't they use them appropriately instead of rudely interrupting others ... this even happens when I try to read family obituaries ... and also when I try to fill out the online comment page. Just wondering if it's just me? I somehow doubt it ..."

"Thank goodness. The Boston Bombers acted because of their religion, and not as terrorists, as some stupid conservatives voiced. As a bonus they are a couple of white guys. They had no outside help! Really. Who are they kidding? The foundation of modern terrorists is their religion. They don't need a group gathering to become a terrorist, all they need is to read their favorite book. How stupid does the press and U.S. administration think we are. Oh ya I forgot, 50 percent plus one voted for ... proving we are stupid."

"Someone very dear and near to me suggested the other day that I might consider taking up running, I told her that I would the day that they starting putting double cheeseburgers at the end of the finish line."----

"So now Obama is mad because the Senate didn't pass the background check even though the majority of Americans were in favor of it. If he's so concerned about what the American people want, why did he force Obamacare down our throats even though a majority of Americans didn't want it? He wasn't concerned about the people then. I guess he only cares about the American people's opinion when it agrees with what he wants."

Comments

Wow, I'm the sole subject of a citizen poll submission. This is quite an honor! Guess someone was just so tired of hearing the facts.

BUBBA 1 year, 6 months ago

you are in the big time Clark. Congrats on the promotion

1ayk 1 year, 6 months ago

They are just telling you, your comments on the urban sprawl crime railway will always fall on deaf ears until you get enough of the east moved out here.

I've never made comments about your imaginary train set, just MARTA. Plus, isn't East of here predominantly "old South" anyways and the kind of people most of us would like to move back in?

Carole 1 year, 6 months ago

To the person leaving the comment about the quick manner in which the robbery was handled at Publix, I commend you..! I'm very glad I'm not the only one that recognizes the great work that our Sheriff Eric Levett is doing with the department..everything seems to be under control and working like a well oiled machine...Keep up the awesome work, Eric...as well as the rest of the department. Many Thanks............

BUBBA 1 year, 6 months ago

though I agree the work done was in a quick manner if you read the story it was also the work of the Morgan co SO that Identified the person as one who stole the car which was connected to the robbery and the parole officer who caught the guy who was driving another stolen car with an ILLEGAL gun inside. So by this account Sherrif Levett did a real nice job waiting for the thug to be handed to us. Alsi I have no dout the new sherrif will do quite the job here mainley because sometimes after several years in office polititions will get lax or comfortable in thier job and not look for new and inovative ways to deter crime. I wish Levett and his new team at the top will do as well as some of the racist in this county who believe just because he is Black he will be better. As of the first of the year I have seen more and more viliont crimes than I have in the past. Maybe thugs see this new sherrif as easy pickins cause he be one of us. I hope to be proven wrong

Lorenzo 1 year, 6 months ago

The Publix robbery and the robbery at the ATM were two different people. One guy and his buddy stole a car and robbed two people at the ATM and the City of Conyers caught him. The Publix robber took a taxi and the Rockdale SO caught him. Nobody waited to have anyone "handed" over. Law Enforcement agencies work together to solve crimes that happen regardless of county lines or city limits. Reading comprehension....an important skill.

Lorenzo 1 year, 6 months ago

Not the one that is still obviously moving their lips when reading the funnies. Morgan County assisted the City of Conyers. That GED is working out nicely or you.

1ayk 1 year, 6 months ago

I commend law enforcement anytime they keep us safe. But, we still have crime running amuck in this county. Prevent crime and not just catch the bad guys after the fact and the public be frightened or injured, then you will have a well oiled machine. But, I also concede that this will be hard as urban sprawl continues to consume this county.

Lorenzo 1 year, 6 months ago

I am sure that Chief Wilson and Sheriff Levett plan on hiring a psychic as soon as the budget allows so you will not be inconvenienced by crime. Of course a psychic would be the lazy way because it is so easy to predict where the next crime will occur and we have plenty of officers to stand at every business, residence and location you may travel to provide personal service. Or, people could continue to get involved, call when they see suspected crime and attempt to be concerned and caring citizens.

1ayk 1 year, 6 months ago

All I know is that prior to the urban sprawl overwhelming the county and city crime was a lot less and rare. You appear to accept it as the norm. I agree that people should get more involved, but politics of the county and the country for that matter always get in the way.

homeowner52 1 year, 5 months ago

We don't need a psychic to predict crime- just by building more apartments we are inviting a bad element. All you have to do is ride down Hwy 138 and look at the number of people walking down the road with their pants hanging off their backside to know things aren't improving here. MARTA is just another nail in the coffin of what WAS a nice place to live -do the math

judgedredd 1 year, 6 months ago

The county public safety services are grossly under paid. Our FD and SO risk their lives every single day for us. Yes not every deputy is the greatest but they are brave enough to go into harms way for us and we spit in their face every two weeks. There is no reason our public safety should be living paycheck to paycheck. This hasnt been addressed enough and to be honest, it's a complete shame. Our commissioners would never do what our FD and SO does on a daily basis and get paid what they get paid. We as citizens have to demand more. Plain and simple. Someone has to stick up for them!

About those pop-up ads in the on-line Citizen, they are very aggravating, to say the least. I generally access the site on my I-Pad, which is immune to pop-ups, but on my desktop they are obnoxious. The funny part is, I couldn't tell you who any of the ads are for, as I only look for the "close" button. Once is enough per session, please!

Road blocks.Road blocks. EVERYDAY,DIFFERENT LOCATION

BUBBA 1 year, 6 months ago

that would be -- injustice for all because not everyone is a criminal

AWOL 1 year, 6 months ago

I am willing to put up with it until the criminals get the message. I say start them on and around Salem rd, Browns bridge. Kirkland. Feildstone. Also the other end of the county around Rockbridge and Old covington hwy.

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes, an "injustice" that I'd be more than glad to put up with. I second the motion: more road blocks, please.

kt 1 year, 6 months ago

This is a dumb question, but I mean it very genuinely and not in any snarky way:

What would the point be of putting up all these road blocks? I understand its to stop criminals from entering our county, but if they stop at the road block and don't appear to be impaired and have a valid license and registration then the police can't question them or search them for weapons, correct? Then if someone does appear legit, they get through, and do something bad, the officer who didn't have a legal right to interrogate them gets in trouble? The only roadblocks I've even been stopped at were leaving the GIHP after 4th of July fesitivities and on NYE, but I assumed they were just looking for impaired drivers?

Yes some criminals will get through roadblocks. But if they are in a hurry, or stupid, or high on something, or visibly nervous, it will give officers a chance to investigate them. Roadblocks are primarily to catch the dummies and keep the smart ones out. If they know we are running consistent random roadblocks, they will avoid us. On the contrary, if the roadblocks are executed and communicated in a good manner, good people will feel safe and want to live here.

And yet, fishing expeditions still violate the fourth amendment, which most "good people" won't put up with. A businessman will only be shook down a few times by some overzealous cops before he grabs his family and leaves another empty house.