Waffle House robbed at gunpoint

CONYERS -- Two men wearing orange bandannas over their faces got away with cash and other items during a New Year's Day heist at a local restaurant.

The two black males, one of whom was armed with a handgun, robbed the Waffle House at 1886 Ga. Highway 20 at about 9:45 p.m. Jan. 1. According to witness statements given to officers with the Conyers Police Department, the two entered the front door of the store with their faces covered. The man with the gun went to the cash register and demanded cash from the cook while the other man went behind the counter and stole a purse belonging to a waitress. The unarmed suspect also stole the cook's cell phone.

One suspect was described as about 5 feet, 7 inches tall, slightly overweight, with an unkempt Afro-style haircut. The second was described as 5 feet, 9 inches tall with a short, curly permed hairstyle.

Witnesses said the two men fled the store and ran behind Mellow Mushroom restaurant. It is believed they left the scene in a dark SUV, possibly a Ford Explorer, headed toward Interstate 20.

There were three employees and two customers in the restaurant at the time of the robbery. No one was injured in the incident.

Comments

OK "Travelingman"...why hasn't your sheriff nabbed these thugs yet? It Wiggington was still there, I'm sure you'd be skewering him like you always did, so turn-about is fair play.

These surest way to put yourself, or your "team", under the microscope is too much bragging and boasting.

tick...tock...tick...tock.......

1ayk 1 year, 8 months ago

Umm Black and committing crime,I am shocked! Did they not hear there was a new Sheriff in town with Blacks now totally in charge? There is progress for you!

Tiger 1 year, 8 months ago

So what's your point 1ayk? I don't ever recall when whites committed crimes in Rockdale County, with a white sheriff, and whites totally in charge that no one made comments like this. I mean here it is 2 months later after the election, and you're still bitter.

1ayk 1 year, 8 months ago

My point is that this county is going to hell. It has been since the urban sprawl headed east. You can't deny it or defend it. Yes crime has always been around, but this is becoming a daily event. You know it. If you won't admit it you are part of the problem. This society created by the liberals and those who think they are benifiting from it are stiicking their heads in the sand. Pretty soon the grandmothers and grandads raising these kids are going to die out and we will have kaos. Admit it., You won;t because you are embarrassed!

Tiger 1 year, 7 months ago

Still don't get your point. So if this county is going to hell, then why do you still live here? Move to a county that's not going to hell then, and I'm not sure why i would be embarrassed. I give back to the community, I also help and speak to the young youths of this county that you so call say is going to hell.

1ayk 1 year, 7 months ago

Says you. How do we know you give back and what makes you think I don't If you can't see the demise, then you are blind. I can't move because my house has lost it's value due to the current administration's policied and foreclosed homes in my neigborhood.

1ayk 1 year, 7 months ago

Do you speak to all youths or those who you know are following the ganster rap, football and basketball are the only way out? Why not have other role models than this group who continue to disprespect women and have children they cannot support or will not?

Lorenzo 1 year, 8 months ago

This happened in the Conyers City limit, talk to CPD. I'm sure Sheriff Levett would be embarassed by someone like travelingman. How about we give the new Sheriff a fair chance to show us what he can do?

szbrown 1 year, 8 months ago

Time to start packing if you work/live in Rockdale County. That would put a stop to all this crime. If the criminals suspect a lot of residents carry a weapon they would be less likely to attempt these crimes in our community. We could send these thugs looking for a new "easy" target.

superman 1 year, 8 months ago

Hopefully these 'thugs' can read... I love how the one guy was described as fat and messy... I carry everywhere. Even if you're not targeting me, I will defend someone else as well.

Tiger 1 year, 8 months ago

Elmo, I think you mean "IF" Wiggington, not it Wiggington "was" which the word was is past tenses, meaning Wiggington is no longer in office, and I don't recall Wiggington catching all "THUGS" either when he was in office.

tick....tock...tick...tock...ok just stop there, and stop watching so much T.V., get out and do something in your community instead of being so negative about the county you live in. If it's that bad then move.

Southside 1 year, 8 months ago

You probably meant "tense", but neither of us are English teachers.

you know Tiger, if Travelingman didnt post comments to make it seem Levett was Batman,Superman, John Wayne and the Lone Ranger all rolled up into one then maybe there wouldn't be sarcastic comments like Elmo's. Nobody will stop all the crime so quit making Levett seem like a superhero.

Tiger 1 year, 8 months ago

Frustarted, I never said, nor posted anything stating that Levett was all of them rolled up into one, and that he would stop all crime. You and Elmo make it seem as if Wiggington had the S on his chest when he was in office. Never stated that nor made it seem that Levett was a superhero, so kick rocks.

Tiger just like Elmo I am commenting on Travelingman's continuous posting about how there would be no crime under Levett's watch.

Well, "Tiger"...either you are too focused on spelling/typing errors, or you just don't get the point...I suspect the latter is the case after having read your opinion.

My comments were not about Levett or Wiggington, they were about a poster named "travelingman" and his penchant towards pointing out that every crime committed in Rockdale since November would not have happened if Levett had been sheriff.

I promised him then that I would track, and post every crime committed in Rockdale - no matter the race of the suspects - with the question as to why the new Sheriff "allowed it" to happen, just as TM did to Wiggington for the past months.

As I pointed out to TRAVELINGMAN, it's easy to brag, but the proof will be in the ongoing performance record of the new Sheriff...which begins now.

Now, if TM wanted to just brag a little on "his" man, that's fine, but "his man" one and his continued lamblasting of long-time Sheriff Wiggington - who has gracefully conceded and stepped down - is simply juvenile and totally class-less.

One more time Tiger, just so you understand - this is not about Levett vs Wiggington...no...it's about Levett vs Levett, as told by Travelingman.

Tiger 1 year, 8 months ago

Well Elmo I understand, I didn't read TM's post back then, my apology and thanks for making this all clear. Now as to me focusing on spelling/typing error maybe that’s what i should've said to you back in Nov. during the election, however I will let this one go, thanks for clearing it all up for me.

JayPee 1 year, 8 months ago

I am applying for my carry permit today! Can you imagine if this robbery would've happened at a Waffle House full of armed residents?

superman 1 year, 8 months ago

It would be funny to see all the partons of Waffle House pull their guns on the would-be robber... :)

AJK 1 year, 8 months ago

It has happened....well sort of. Almost three years ago in Kennesaw (where every head of household is required to own a firearm).

I don't patronize Waffle Houses....WH corporate doesn't respect my right to self-defense.

Fatinum 1 year, 8 months ago

It doesn't matter who the sheriff is, these acts will continue! Its up to us law-biding citizens to arm up and to protect our community. Police can't be everywhere all the time. 2nd Amendment people!

maryinga 1 year, 8 months ago

Buckle up people...no matter who is in office crime is going to happen. It all starts at home teaching your children right from wrong, good and bad. Black or white, this has to come to a halt. If we need to arm ourselves to protect ourselves, then so be it. Criminals will just have to be aware that people are going to arm themselves.....Teach your children right and they will do right.

Be realistic Elmo, Levett just came into office and inherited a hot mess from that scofflaw Wiggington. Give the new sheriff a chance. Also we don't need a lot of backwoodsmen running around toting guns after they've been liquored up. Stay at home and sober up and leave your guns at home too. Superman, you're really out there, like Pluto out there, or perhaps Krypton. Get some help. As far as English teachers go I would say that I ain't never seen no worser bunch of teachers I have at Heritage High School. Give the new sheriff a chance, leave your guns at home, and learn yourself some English.

oh wow Travelingman...making excuses for your superhero already? You thought crime would come to an end as soon as he took office? LMAO

Too late for you back peddling...you threw down the gauntlet, and the dance is on.

Your guy is going to be tracked, documented, compared, judged, prejudged, profiled, and defiled...all because of YOU, Travelingman.

You are one of the only examples of a "sour grapes WINNER" I've ever seen.

You cannot hide your gloat behind you dictionary, thesaurus, or grammar handbook.

You've boasted how fantastic your guy is "going to be", so Rockdale is watching.

Your can of worms is open!

Uh-oh...I was waiting for this...the "it's Bush's fault" defense. Oblammo has milked that one for four long years, yet he himself has made a bigger mess out of America than all other presidents combined.

Maybe these new "electeds" should just try to do their own job instead of looking for straw men on whom to blame their lack of responsibility.

Wigginton is gone, Levett is on stage and Travelingman is the emcee...the curtain is up, and it's lights, camera, and action.

History begins January , 2013...all eyes are watching.

roots 1 year, 7 months ago

Wonder how many Legal Permit Gun owners would be willing to join together and provide a free armed presence at local county establishments?

If our Local Government is incapable of protecting the citizens, then I,m willing to provide a free armed presence in a store, parking lot, restaurant, bank, subdivision or wherever innocent people are at risk for attack.

Do you think the Thugs will rethink trying to rob, steal or kill when the word gets out that armed people are around and undetectable?

TrueLife 1 year, 8 months ago

Waffle House needs to hire security. An ounce of prevention goes a long way. Even if it cuts into your bottom line, it would be worth it. Be careful my armed citizens, well intentions will put you in a heap of trouble, if you pull that trigger in the wrong situation. Waffle House has cameras!!

ConcernedAmerican99 1 year, 8 months ago

Not everyone who "totes" drinks. Leave my gun at home so some thug can get the upper hand on me. No thanks. I have no desire to just sit back passively and be shot.. This is not the same safe haven it once was. Ah! The good old days! I remember them well! Unfortuately we shall never see those safe streets / homes / schools again regardless who is sheriff. Too many hoodlums who think they are entitled and invincible and have never been taught to value in human life (of any color, sex or nationality)..I have seen so much moral decline in the past 20 years. To what do you credit this?

AJK 1 year, 7 months ago

"I have seen so much moral decline in the past 20 years. To what do you credit this?"

Divorce!

Covingtonian 1 year, 7 months ago

AJK So called entertainment, a Permissive society, and a justice system that is broken to name just a few. Entertainment in that kids get a continuous diet of violence from infancy in the form of t.v and video games. Permissive society in that parents cannot discipline unruly children with whippings w/o the threat of going to jail and everyone thinking that it is their "right" to do their own thing. A broken justice system in that justice isn't swift nor impartial. There is more but space want allow for it.

AJK 1 year, 7 months ago

Right! Like I said divorce.

Divorced parents tend to compete with each other in an effort to be the "cool" parent and/or to win the child's affection. Today, one parent allows the child to go see the movie they wouldn't otherwise let the child see. Next week the other parent allows the child to stay out later than normal. It goes back and forth like this until the child has no boundries. The child grows up thinking they have a right to this or that.

The child from yesterday's divorced family is today's justice system, or worse, today's law makers.

cherokeerock 1 year, 7 months ago

Another reason why citizens should be armed.

Spydee 1 year, 7 months ago

MORE BLACK MALE crime???? Gee what a surprise... NOT

@true life what are you smoking? Hire security, should not need to. Baby daddy needs to be a dad not just a donor. Facts are facts most all crime is black related.

disgustedwithpeople 1 year, 7 months ago

It is sad to see so many crimes being committed. I believe that everyone should work and earn whatever they want, however you can't categorize all black males because they all don't commit crimes. I have several "black friends" and they work, send their children to college, and live good quality lives. It disturbs me to see comments like "more black male crime or baby daddy comments" all black men are not criminals nor baby daddies. It is sad to see the lack of morals in today's society but you can not put people in a generalized group based on the color of their skins. Color should not even be an issue, just the fact that the crimes are being committed at all is the issue. If the men that robbed the Rue 21 employees were white would it make a difference? It shouldn't, a crime is a crime no matter what color you are. I just hope that some innocent person is not gunned down by someone that is trigger happy and make the wrong assumption. I hope someone that looks different is not gunned down for reaching in their pocket for their keys because someone that is trigger happy thinks that they are reaching for a gun!!! So sad!!!!!

marty 1 year, 7 months ago

disgustedwith people. The facts speak for themselves , black males are commiting 90 percent of crimes were a gun is involved in Rockdale county. Common sense, not racial profiling, says be wary of the young black male. Profiling evolved as a tool to combat crime. Black folk would like you to think law enforcement just pulled profiling out of thin air to opress the black man.

Covingtonian 1 year, 7 months ago

Maty I would like to see Will's response to yours and Elmo's line of reasoning, come on Will what say you?

Perception is reality is just an overused cliche that isn't always factual. Before the days of Columbus people perceived that the world was flat but they were wrong. The world doesn't revolve around cliches, and platitudes even if people think otherwise. Apparently ignorance is not bliss. Although Nietzsche once said that out of chaos comes order he didn't stipulate how long it would take. Levett needs have to rearrange the RCSO staff to ensure that he is surrounded by those who support him in order to clean up the mess and accomplish what needs to be done. That's the way I perceive it anyway.