Rockdale Citizen Poll for Jan. 6, 2013

The Citizen Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-483-7108, ext. 402, email poll@rockdalecitizen.com or complete the online form.

"I can understand when renewing a drivers license that proof of residence is required and other certain documents are also required. I do not understand why a copy of a Social Security card is made and retained. I can close out my bank account since a copy of this was also made, but I can't get a new Social Security number. I feel this is just wrong."

"I realize that the Rockdale Citizen makes its money from advertising, but that totally tasteless ad from a pawn shop with Santa holding a gun was just too much. The season is not about guns."

"Just heard a good idea from a friend. We should pay our politicians based on how well their constituents feel represented. Put their salaries on a percentage based on evaluation vote. If 100 percent of their constituents give them a favorable evaluation, they get 100 percent of their salary. They say they are moving toward something like this for teachers. I say let's start it out with Oden and Nesbitt."

"I think it is wrong that the president wants to restrict gun ownership for us out here in the streets when he is fully protected. Here is a quote from him in a recent article about his daughters: 'I always talk about how one of the main incentives for running was continuing Secret Service protection so that there are men with guns around at all times (for my daughters when they start dating).' -- Barack Obama"

"The Newton County Board of Education is going to be very busy to find replacements for Mr. Mathews and Mr. Carpenter. I wonder if the county feels like they received a good ROI (return on investment) hiring Mr. Mathews and his rather short tenure as superintendent of schools. I recollect, and correct me if I'm wrong, it was reported in the local newspaper shortly after he arrived that he was applying for a position elsewhere. Mr. Carpenter was doing the same thing. In my opinion, if a person is busy applying for jobs elsewhere, how can they possibly be doing a good job in their present position? Is Mr. Mathews really retiring? I think not. As for Mr. Carpenter going to Missouri; I hope he 'shows' them he is a real leader. I also think that he and his wife have overstayed their welcome in the Newton County School System. I truly hope the board in charge of finding replacement(s) will do better background checks and not hire someone that is 'just biding their time' until retirement. Please post this."

"The demands on teachers have reached an intolerable level. A teaching job here has become one that no human can do within a 12-hour day. Teachers are working nights and weekends to do what they've been asked, but still they never catch up. Is this fair or even legal? Teachers say they are miserable. Their health is declining and their families are falling apart. In addition to the increasing CO demands, teachers have to teach to students who never stop talking and argue when asked to follow rules. Students have gotten away with bad behavior for so long, that being cruel and disrespectful to their teachers is the norm. Student behavior here is ridiculous and everyone knows it. Teachers are left, day after day, as sitting ducks to be treated in ways that would be considered illegal abuse in any other profession. Yet, they are responsible for the guaranteed academic success of those students who abuse them and the system. We don't want our teachers treated this way. We want them happy and healthy so that they can best serve our children as well as take care of their own families. They should be treated kindly and expected to do only what is reasonable. Thanks to the parents whose children contribute to a positive learning environment. Whether they want to behave or not, they do. They've been taught to do what is polite and best for the educational experience of everyone. To the parents whose children are mean to their teachers and disrupt learning, you brought them up that way and should be ashamed. Know that your children are why so many teachers leave and why our schools have become so ineffective. Let's all help return the profession to an honorable one to which our best students will be attracted. In my school years, if I had observed teachers being treated as they are in classrooms today, I would never in a million years have chosen to become a teacher."

"Ladies, if your Facebook profile picture is of you rock climbing, I am going to assume you are into rock climbing. If your profile picture is of you, in a seductive pose, wearing very little, I am going to assume you are into other things. Double check your daughters' pages please."

----"If y'all gonna charge $4 for coffee can y'all use some of the money to hire some people? We 'bout ran out of gas sitting in the drive through for 10 minutes. For reals?"

"I just have to say after watching the news on 12-31-2012 stating the swearing in the 'slate of eight,' I have to say this county is more divided then ever. I cannot believe that anyone thought this statement of the 'slate of eight' was a good idea. With this statement we just let everyone around the world know that the South has not changed. If all eight of the people we elected think this is a good statement or is a good thing, just shows that maybe we elected the wrong people to represent this county. I can only hope that this statement does not represent how things will be run."

"If the Citizen would like to do an article on Eagle Scouts, that would be great! However, you should highlight all of them. The Eagles of Yellow River District do extraordinary things and they all should be recognized, not just some. A disgruntled Parent of an amazing 2012 Eagle"

"If you voted for Obama, you are the main cause of this fiscal cliff situation. This situation needed leadership. It needed competency, calmness, vision, and someone who cares about our nation more than their own political power. Obama is not that man. Many people are to blame. But a good leader would accept responsibility and get it turned around. We do not need a president who is good at blaming. we need one who can get things done. As voters, we have let ourselves be tricked by smooth talking politicians who are in bed with the media."

"A good leader would bring this country together. Listen, the Republicans do have some good ideas that would help the economy and the Democrats are famous for throwing money away on social programs that have proven to make things worse. Why can't he just give in on a few things? A good president would."

"Eric Levett is the only local Democrat I would have voted for. I think he will do fine. I am convinced the rest are here to take advantage of our county. If the jobs of commissioners and tax commissioner and judges were open for interviews to the general public instead of election, none of these candidates would have been hired. They are completely unqualified. They rely on a voter base with an ulterior motive. A voter base that was glad that OJ Simpson got away with murder."

"I'm a teacher with the RCPS. I have a work day this week. My administrators have meetings and other activities for our staff to complete on this day. However, I know that some administrators at other schools in the county told their staff that they didn't have to come on the work day if they had completed their conferences. Point 1) this is a work day because we are all getting paid to attend school on that day. 2) I have completed my conferences after school for the past four weeks on my own time. 3) This work day was not a day to have student conferences. If my administrator expects me to be there on Tuesday, then every certified teacher employed by the county has to be there. I've worked just as hard as the teachers at that school. In the end, it is one of the 190 days we are expected to work. If you didn't show up on the work day, then your pay should be docked. Again, this is an example of how this school system needs consistent leadership from the county office. I can't believe that Mr. Autry is not aware that this took place. Maybe the principals at these schools should have some kind of reprimand since they told their teachers not to come to school. How is it that some are told they have to attend but others are told to stay home? They are still getting paid for not being at school. Everybody just does what they want to do. I dislike people who aren't rule followers. Especially teachers who expect their own students to follow rules but ignore the rules they are expected to follow."

"Could someone with better understanding please explain to me why African Americans seem so much more willing to forgive and forget? Blacks seem more likely to give second, third, even a fourth chance. For example the checkered pasts of (some) commissioners, the sheriff-elect in Clayton County, Marion Berry in Baltimore, even Ray Lewis (just announced retirement) who has never come clean about the two murdered during the Atlanta Super Bowl but now mentioned as one of the greats. I just don't get it. People are responsible for their actions and should be judged upon their pasts. If someone could please explain the reason other than voting color I would be greatly interested."

Comments

atllaw191 1 year, 6 months ago

Rockdale Co. Phone #'s for Code Enforcement and for the County Government (770-929-4053) are disconnected! Is there a reason for this? Who is minding the "store"???? We, in Rockdale Co. need leadership from people who are willing to make this county worthy of home-ownership but without someone who is "available" to take our questions/comments/complaints about homes in disrepair/falling down/abandoned in our community, who do we turn to???

ka 1 year, 6 months ago

Phone number was changed in 2009 to 770-278-7100. Sounds like you need to get with the program rather than bashing everything.

JayPee 1 year, 6 months ago

To the commenter posting about the teachers; Don't worry 15-20 yrs from now most kids will be home schooled and instruction will be outsourced. I'm surprised Republicans aren't pushing for this now. This would eliminate the need for school buildings, salaries, security, etc. There was a report a few weeks ago that more Rockdale students are preferring the home school option. The writing is on the wall. I'm just saying.

The way the country and going, getting to graduation won't mean a diploma, it will mean they survived...so far.

School will eventually be the choice between being just "dumbed" down, or shot down.

Maybe "the Republicans" see the value in saving money in all those mentioned areas in order to pay for all the new prisons that will need to be built if society continues its decline and decay.

rockdalehomeowner 1 year, 6 months ago

Why do white people keep voting for known racists, womanizers, drunks, abusers, and people who are clearly too old for the job (there are too many state and federal representatives to name)?

Your question is more broad than you think? Why do constituents forgive and give numerous chances to people who clearly don't deserve it? IDK (I don't know)

I don't think it is totally a question of "forgiveness" as it is "solidarity". Obama got over 90% of the black vote, mostly based - according to several survey's I've seen - on skin color.

He certainly had no qualifications to speak of, and has shown the most lackluster leadership and lack of accomplishment (for the good of America) ever recorded. This is not my opinion, but is well documented and witnessed everyday by, not only Americans, but the entire world.

A lot of folks were dismayed, but no one was really surprised out the outcome of the November elections here in Rockdale. The vote - more or less - reflected the population change of the past several years. It's inevitable, and has a common thread across the country as demographics take a shift.

Elections in America have devolved into a sort of Federal "American Idol", and instead of being about people who are qualified and capable of running the business we call "America", it's about who is the "coolest", "best dressed", has the key to the goodie closet.

The personal life and pasts of today's electeds has no bearing on why they were elected, so long as they're "cool" NOW, and will watch out for the folks they prefer.

I'm thinking that the only way to get America back is to step back, find a safe haven, and let the incompetents run the cities they have captured into the ground. So long as there is money going to them, it will just be an ongoing party - teenagers living it up while the parents (taxpayers) pay the damages. But when city after city, county after county, and state after state start falling like flies to the bankruptcy monster they will then turn to the states, counties and cities who had the forsight to protect themselves, and they'll have the old hand out again...if those governments cave again and starting handing out freebies for nothing, the same thing will happen all over again.

It's time to say - and enforce - the word "NO". The recent CYA patch job to the bumbled mess called the "fiscal cliff" will not last long...and we'll be listening to the same crap on TV over and over again. The game is getting old, and Americans - especially the ones doing the paying - are about tired of listening to it.

But before we conquer that "fiscal" cliff, we've got to get over this "racial" cliff. Obama has succeeded in every dictators goal in history, to DIVIDE the people...DIVIDE and conquer, United we stand, DIVIDED we fall...any of those phrases ring a bell?

You cannot make two alley cats get along, or like each other by forcing them face to face...they will fight. But if you just leave them alone, differences will be settled eventually. You cannot FORCE diversity, not without generating animosity on both sides.

It's time to quit worrying about who's a drunk, or an abuser, or "too old", and just prepare to ride out the storm...cause it's comin'...obama doesn't need your vote any longer, and he's getting bolder by the day.

GeekGirl 1 year, 6 months ago

The real priority is not one of "forgiveness" or "solidarity". It's preserving and furthering the ideals this country was founded upon -

The unalienable rights of the individual and consent of the governed being the only legitimate source of government authority. Refer to the Declaration of independence if you don't understand this.

Color, sex, ethnicity, and party affiliation have nothing to do with these principles.

Focus on the legal principles that will preserver your unalienable rights and those of your children. White folks had also better start to realize the "Civil Rights" belong to all, regardless of race. Use it or lose it because it doesn't matter if you're "white" or a person of "color". Your civil rights are in danger from government that presumes to operate without the consent of the governed.

superman 1 year, 6 months ago

Regarding the "slate of eight"- It may sound like a great milestone in history, but by making a story about "the first African American" to hold this position is actually a racist statement. If everyone wants to finally stop racism you shouldn't point out facts like this. Would you point it out if an Asian was elected? How about if a 'little person' were elected, would the headline read the first little person to hold this office? Every time someone says anything about the first black president (chairman, sheriff, etc), they are only continuing the separation between blacks and every other race. I've always been told it is better to judge someone by their character than by the color of their skin- but then again maybe that's a rule for whites only. I wonder if our next president will be white- if so will the headline read "first white president in 8 years!" I doubt it.

scottmills 1 year, 6 months ago

I can make neither heads nor tails of this statement.

scottmills 1 year, 6 months ago

That makes absolutely no sense.

ConcernedAmerican99 1 year, 6 months ago

Notice sent out Friday 1/4 by County Clerk Jennifer Rutledge of a called meeting for Tuesday as follows:: The Rockdale County Board of Commissioners will hold a called meeting on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 2:05 p.m. (immediately following the Retreat) for the purposes that are listed on the attached agenda. (1) call to order (2) Alcholic Beveerages Licenses (list was attached) (3) board comment (4) Executive Session (5) Adjournment.

This meeting will be held at the Allen Entrepreneurial Institute International Conference Center located at 3235 Evans Mill Road, Lithonia, Georgia 30038. This meeting is open to the public and the public is invited to attend. Attached agenda:

As a citizen and resident of Rockdale who believes in "SHOP THE ROCK" WHY is county money being spent on a "RETREAT" in DeKalb Co and a public meeting being held in DeKalb Co??????? Could it be that the Commissioners REALLY do not want the citizens of Rockdale present at the meeting since this is out of county and inconvenient?... AND prefer to financially help businesses located in DeKalb County rather than our own local economy???? This sets a very bad precedent. and I am very upset about this. I intend to make my feeling known to the County Commission and hope the other readers will do the same. ,

ctownslimm 1 year, 6 months ago

I have always suspected that Atlanta and Dekalb money are behind these guys. There must be a group of Democrats that want the I-20 corridor. Maybe to continue with Marta out this way. I wish the republicans wanted this area just as bad.

AJK 1 year, 6 months ago

I've heard Rockdale Democrat Party leasdership say "The Democrats are going to piant I-20 blue from Alabama to Auguta."

I think they're well on they're way!

ctownslimm 1 year, 6 months ago

Never knew that. I wish that Democrats would determine to clean up existing blue counties. Counties in georgia that are run by democrats are usually identified with bad schools, high crime, dilapidated businesses, and general decline. Instead of painting I-20 blue, I wish they would change whatever it is that makes blue counties bad places to live and raise kids.

Rob 1 year, 6 months ago

I suspect you are correct. Richard Oden and yes, even the beloved Randy Mills are part of ARC or is it ARK? The group behind T-Splost. These guys want government money which leads to power. Rockdale County is famous for it's grant writing. This county has never seen a grant it didn't want. They know people are to stupid to realize that with these grants come endless government "stipulations". All they see is free money so they can go on claiming "our finances are better than they've ever been." If you really want answers google ICLEIor "sustainable development" . A couple years ago we caught Marty Jones with his hand in the cookie jar and exposed some of this. The next day he was in the paper holding a sign saying "say no to Marta". He knew he was caught and ran for cover. While Progressive Democrats lead the charge on all this it isn't simply a partisan problem. Many unsuspecting Republicans also fall for this utopia of "eat, work and play" development. It all sounds good in theory, it just doesn't work in practice. I'm afraid Rockdale is already to far gone. I'm not sure why Republicans are simply giving up on Rockdale? Maybe because they know the electorate here just wants more government this and government that and figure it's a waste of time. Sometimes trying to educate the "dumb masses" just isn't worth the fight!

CITIZENXXX 1 year, 6 months ago

I was driving down Sigman Rd the other day. I saw a new sign up for the fallen RCSO Deputy Brian Mahaffey. It made me think...this County is really getting bad. Pretty soon we will be called East Lithonia. I have a close family member in Law Enforcement..He goes to work everyday, not knowing if he will come home because of someone who doesn't want to go to jail over not appearing in court for not wearing a seatbelt. That has to be stressfull enough. But then after a stressful day, has to go home and stress over money. I don't think that Law Enforcement should make hundreds of thousands a year, but they should make enough to be comfortable. The men and women of law enforcement risk their lives every day to protect all of us....even the ones who scream "F*** the Police". We may not always like them...but they will always be there for us and we will always need them...Everyday that goes by we will need them more and more. Just watch the news if ya don't beleive me. I hear that they are getting a 2.5% cost of living adjustment after their Insurance is increasing by 13% or so...to me that would be a slap in the face or a kick to the crotch. Someone needs to stick up for our protectors!!!! If you want to get a feel for what their life is like, watch Officer shot at, on YouTube. And to the Law Enforcement Officers out there...just know that WE DO NEED YOU and THANK YOU.

thesmad1 1 year, 6 months ago

"The demands on teachers have reached an intolerable level. A teaching job here has become one that no human can do within a 12-hour day. Teachers are working nights and weekends to do what they've been asked, but still they never catch up" - welcome to the real world teachers how are you any more special than the rest of us?

In the real world, most people's job ends at quitting time, others can apply for overtime. Teachers also have to buy most of their supplies for their ungrateful students out of their own money, the schools don't provide it anymore, and mark down the teachers when they don't have them. Police, fire departments, and just about everyone else on the low-rung in government has unions, or no further obligations when the day ends, why are these people any more special than teachers?

ydebo 1 year, 6 months ago

Officers no further obligation after their work day ends............get a clue. They have to give the county the first 8 hours over time at regular pay. Some are on fixed salaries and have No overtime. I know lots of deputies in Rockdale County that work 10-12 hours a day with only claiming 8 hours for their day of work. I know officers that have been called in to work on their day off or even vacation. They show up because they are dedicated to the community. Lots of firefighters have stayed after their shifts too especially if a bad call came in during it. They all deserve more credit than you give them. What unions are in Rockdale County for law enforcement or firefighters? Teachers are also dedicated to their students. Don't dump on public safety workers. They are all equal in their commitment to this county.

thesmad1 1 year, 6 months ago

"I think they should outlaw subway trains because people were killed this year in New York by being pushed in front of the trains. We cannot stand by and allow people to be killed this way. Only dummies would let this continue to happen by not outlawing these dangerous trains."---- really? I have one word for you...IDIOT"

Dude, it's called sarcasm.

Yes, and they should outlaw cars to keep DUI's from occurring. ANd they should outlaw guns to keep people from shooting each other. Get it?

superman 1 year, 6 months ago

In Loganville someone broke into a house with a crowbar. Maybe we should ban crowbars? Luckily the mother had a gun and was able to defend herself and children.

papamilt 1 year, 6 months ago

For those who are unhappy that "blacks are voting in solidarity for one of their own" -- President Obama had one (1) black parent and one (1) white parent.