Rue 21 employees robbed, cars stolen

CONYERS -- Two employees of Rue 21 on Dogwood Drive were robbed at gunpoint and their cars and cellphones stolen as they left the store after closing Wednesday night.

A 24-year-old male employee told the Conyers Police Department that he and an 18-year-old female employee closed the store at 9 p.m. and stayed to clean up Wednesday. When they left at about 11:15 p.m. the employee said he was walking toward his car near Carmike Cinema when he was approached by five black men in a Jeep.

According to the victims' statements to police, two of the suspects jumped out of the back seat of the Jeep. One, who was wearing a goblin mask, approached the male employee, held a gun to his head and ordered him to sit on the curb. The second suspect, who had his face covered by a bandanna, ran toward the female employee, who had already gotten in her car and was texting while waiting for the car to warm up. The suspect reportedly screamed for her to get out of the car, opened her car door, grabbed her and threw her to the ground.

Both victims said the suspects took their cellphones and drove off in their cars. They ran to Carmike Cinema where they called police.

The male victim's car was described as a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. Also taken from him were a cloth bag containing store keys to Rue 21 stores in Lithonia, Snellville, Stone Mountain and Conyers, $400 in cash and other personal items.

The female victim's car was a gray 2008 Pontiac G6. Her purse, personal items and $15 in cash were also stolen.

The victims both said they believed the suspects to be young. One was medium height; the other was described as medium height with an athletic build.

Comments

maryinga 1 year, 6 months ago

It's never going to end people!! Now is the time to start protecting yourself.

JayPee 1 year, 6 months ago

Our new sheriff is going to have his hands full dealing with policing an increasing number of thugs. This was probably in within the City of Conyers jurisdiction, but I hope they increase efforts with the RCSO to prevent these types of crimes. I certainly hope that both police forces will find money to hire more officers.

Paging Travelingman, Paging Travelingman....clean-up in aisle 2.

Time for SuperSheriff to run to the nearest telephone booth, change into his tights, and do his super thang, ain't it?

crickets

Oh Elmo...even superheros take a day off and it was a holiday after all.

Spydee 1 year, 6 months ago

BLACK MALES!!!!??? NO WAY!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

superman 1 year, 6 months ago

Was the gun purchased legally? Mine was, and I will have it on me.

heypastorbob 1 year, 6 months ago

I NEVER leave home without it. I live in Rockdale Co. I have been given no choice but to protect my family and myself!

The city of Conyers is also within the jurisdiction of the RCSO. Let's give the new sheriff a chance by supporting him. There will come a time where he will have to stand on his own record. Right now he is in the process of cleaning up the mess that Wiggington left him.

Southside 1 year, 6 months ago

Nope. You assured us that there would be no crime when Wiggington left office.

superman 1 year, 6 months ago

And I quote - "I am so glad that Levett has finally assumed office as sheriff. Now I can sleep better at night knowing that my car will be safe. And to all you scofflaws, there's a new sheriff in town." Maybe travlingman is the source of crime and now that Levett has taken office he will tell his cohorts to stop committing crimes? I will support Levett so long as he is Sheriff, I believe in him. I don't think he'll have the tenure Wigington had, but I'm sure he'll uphold the law.

Whats wrong Travelingman? you afraid Levett isnt going to live up to your fantasy? Crime is a fact of the society we live in. Wiggington couldnt stop it and neither will Levett. You need to face that fact..Jack

Rob 1 year, 6 months ago

@Frustrated. You are absolutely correct! I'd just point out that under Wigington he simply just denied there was any crime in Rockdale. I guess that's one way of dealing with it. Levett isn't going to fix the crime problem either but hopefully he will at least acknowledge it? There is no hope for Rockdale. The voters decided in November that they wanted to become DeKalb East, so they voted in the entitlement crowd and have opened the flood gates for public transportation, public housing, etc. All we can do know is sit back and watch things fall apart while the electorate scratches their heads and wonders what happened to their town. It will no doubt be the fault of the "rich white man". Sigh..... Our president has created such a disgusting society in the last 4 years!

1ayk 1 year, 6 months ago

What mess? Wigginton took a below average and undermanned force and made it professional and respected. Just because his color got him out voted does not mean he left a mess. Just tell me what mess he left?

roots 1 year, 6 months ago

Wonder how many Legal Permit Gun owners would be willing to join together and provide a free armed presence at local county establishments?

If our Local Government is incapable of protecting the citizens, then I,m willing to provide a free armed presence in a store, parking lot, restaurant, bank, subdivision or wherever innocent people are at risk for attack.

Do you think the Thugs will rethink trying to rob, steal or kill when the word gets out that armed people are around and undetectable?

OprahHater 1 year, 6 months ago

Where were the police when this was taking place? Why weren't they right there to arrest these gun toting terrorist. Very easy to figure that they would group 4+ to attack 2, it's in their insecure, no-baby daddy, bloodline. Would love to read the story of how these impotent punks got laid to rest by picking the wrong one to corner. No trial, No Jail time, just a brief paupers funeral. Soon I pray, before someone worthy of this world has to die.

1ayk 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Tiger, oops there it is!

Some of you need to take a reality check. Who said that our local government was incapable of protecting its citizens? Some of you hillbillies are ready to start brandishing your weapons after getting all liquored up without even giving the new sheriff a chance to prove himself. Since he is willing to admit that there are problems, unlike Wigglesworth, he is making strides in the right direction. We don't need a bunch of backwoods Rambos running around just itching for some action. If something did happen you would probably shoot an innocent bystander. Chances are pretty good that you don't know how to handle a gun anyway.

Frizzlefry 1 year, 6 months ago

would you like to go to the new Covington range with me some time? :)

It isn't the "hillbillies" who have been committing all the crimes in Rockdale over the past ten years, jack.

As a resident for over 60 years, I along with other native Rockdalians can attest to the low crime and peaceful existence we all had before Stonehenge (Stonecrest) and Oprah opened new markets here for metro thugs.

Insofar as your little liberal "shame game", it won't work either. This is the South, we had means of protection long before any of this malarkey started.

mark 1 year, 6 months ago

It's not Stonehenge it's Soulcrest

1ayk 1 year, 6 months ago

So we just let the hoodies with low hanging pants continue to run wild, huh?

sunshine 1 year, 6 months ago

How about you get a gun in your face and see if you have the same stupid redneck jokes! Ive got a gun and i wont be drinking when i have control of it! I am protected by two things Jesus and a gun. 5 black thugs in my face w a gun i am shooting!!!! And yea i was robbed on Welsey Chapel and if i had my gun i could have gave the cops a damn good description. But instead they are still looking for a black guy w a ski mask about 5'10.

TrueLife 1 year, 6 months ago

Question? When do you pull your gun when there's one in your face? After you hand over your valuables? Maybe, when they turn their back and run/speed off? You superheroes really don't have a clue. I ran into a lot of you during my dark period. Question is, do you really think it's that easy for a thug to get caught slipping and give you the chance?

"Superheroes" don't need protection, they are "invulnerable"...the rest of us aren't.

There is no real defense against a "sucker punch", the element of surprise is always an advantage, however, when accosted without protection, you are a 100% victim.

Maybe you need to ask the guy who stopped the thugs in the grocery store parking lot over on Salem Road when the best time is. Thugs are mean, and hateful, but most are not the brightest bulb in the socket...they make mistakes too.

If this is your argument, then you're obviously still in your "dark period". I think you watch the Cartoon Channel too much.

Frizzlefry 1 year, 6 months ago

you ran into a lot of superheroes in your day of mugging people and stealing things? So, did you retire? Or did you just come to Rockdale where the gettin' is good ?

Lorenzo 1 year, 6 months ago

Ok, again the man just took office. don't hold TM's lack of intelligence against Levett. Next, there are very few sheriffs that actually patrol, investigate or deter crime on their own. This is usually done by Deputies. Let's hope Levett gives his people the tools, training and support to get the job done right. Additionally, let's hope he can forge a better relationship with Conyers PD than the former Sheriff. Crime is bad and going to get worse. We have to help protect what we cherish in the way most suitable to each of us. If you're going to carry a firearm know where, when and how to use one. If you choose not to do that then keep your cell phone handy and provide the cops good information. Do something to help. The cards have been dealt for the next four years and if you live here you have to play. Be the solution not the problem. P.S., I think TM may be Zo with spell check.

JuneCleaver 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't understand why would the newspaper publish the list of keys that were stolen? I would think that information would be more useful to the thieves that the readers.

Most businesses have the locks changed as soon as possible after security has been compromised. Most even change them when an employee leaves the company, especially those who held keys.

maryinga 1 year, 6 months ago

Remember the saying.."Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Most of us who have guns were raised around them and know the respect of them. I have taught my children the right way to use them. They both have them. I have them. I will protect myself and my family if needed. Get educated. Hillibillies? Really? And how long have you, Travelingman been a resident of Rockdale? If you were raised here then I'm sure your house hold had guns. And by the way are you not giving yourself that name if you were raised here too!! Just sayin!!! Love the hillibillies.....they may be protecting you!!

I am fairly new to Rockdale County and understand everyone's concern. The problem is that the solution doesn't lie in the status quo. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein. We have a fresh start now. Wigington was himself a homegrown hillbilly, a problem, and needed to go. However, some uneducated people may make matters worse with their emotions that are fueled up with liquor and delusions of grandeur. It's never too late to get an education. Does Rockdale County even have a public library or did somebody steal the book?

Southside 1 year, 6 months ago

You've spouted ignorant statements for two months. Now you are getting called on it & we are hillbillys? If you don't know that we have a library, where did you learn that two syllable word you are so proud of? According to your thinking, Eric is a home grown hillbilly,too.

maryinga 1 year, 6 months ago

If you came from a well educated, less crime place then why did you leave? Why did you choose Rockdale? Many of us made the choice many years ago to come to Rockale because it was a nice place to live. Others grew up here. If you are so unhappy then why stay? Jeff Wigington is not a hillbilly as you stated him to be. If your so stuck on that then meet up with him and say it to his face. Or just grow up!!

1ayk 1 year, 6 months ago

Who are you to come here and start calling people names? Your use of Einstein should make you look at the Metro area governments. But, alas you poor souls know no other way to vote. You make being a registered voter a joke. You cannot deny that crime here has risen and the majority of it committed by blacks, yes blacks. Deny it and you are the one insane!

Having a gun is useless, unless you know how to use it. (truelife) i would have had my side arm ready, when something that did not feel right.

scottmills 1 year, 6 months ago

I couldn't wait to get through this story so I could read the comments! Y'all are awesome! Elmo needs to be on the next ticket!

Thanks for the vote of confidence ScottMills, but include me out on any office...don't want any part of politics other than the freedom to just observe and/or comment on it. It would be sort of like working for the lottery commission...if you work there, you can't play.

TrueLife 1 year, 6 months ago

it's a culture that you need to get used to. Too bad these 2 employees wouldn't be allowed their personal weapon at work, so a gun would be useless in this case. I do agree that you should be aware of your surroundings at all times, with one hand on the trigger.

Its not the fact that people are against Levett. When ignorant people like Travelingman spout off we call them out. When they cant take the heat they are the first to start with the name calling and race baiting.

Southside 1 year, 6 months ago

Quit being such a scofflaw. You'll make him go back to the Dekalb County Public Library to learn a new word.

BrentLuNae 1 year, 6 months ago

Some of you have made some really racist comments. Some of your comments sound like "Wow, there is NO WAY a white person would EVER commit a crime." While I agree that it is a lot of thugs committing these crimes, I would suggest that you don't just focus on thugs. In light of what's been happening in the news lately, you best keep your eyes on these wild-eyed, crazy looking white boys, too, who are subject to shoot up you and your whole family while you are standing there trying to determine if a thug is getting ready to rob you or not. So, my point is this. All races commit vicious crimes. Stop trying to make it seem like the white race is so chaste and never do anything wrong.

"Sound like" is not evidence, only opinion.

Even though perception is reality, but the fact that the preponderance of the evidence in recent Rockdale crimes points to certain demographics seems to beimmaterial to you, it doesnt matter to you so long as no one says it out loud?

Facts don't lie unless they are spun by those with an agenda.

There have been many stories in this paper about whites who committed crimes, and they get the same treatment on this board as anyone.

Maybe if YOU would soften your own focus on race, and in an adult way, look at the crime and the person committing it, things would look a little different to you.

Laws are laws, and should not be color-coded.