Rockdale Citizen Poll for March 3, 2013

The Citizen Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-483-7108, ext. 402, email: poll@rockdalecitizen.com or complete the online form.

"'When I was in fights back in school they gave us whippings. Now they arrest kids." (comment from last week) ... Are you serious? How out of touch are you? 'Whip' a high school student? Even some middle school students are bigger than many adults!"

"I would like to address all of the commenters that keep saying 'Get out while you can' or welcome to 'East DeKalb' or 'Little Detroit' or the thousand other declarations that Rockdale has gone downhill. Are you guys helping anything? I grew up here (45 years ) and I have seen the same thing you have, and I do not argue that we are experiencing some tough times. But is this helping? Do you think you are making some bold observation that so one else can see? Do you think it takes talent or skill or courage to say stupid negative things like that? It reminds me of the ever-present sissy in any survival movie. They always say things like 'we will never make it' or 'you are just wasting your energy.' Those folks never help the others build a signal fire or hunt or survive. They just sit around and bring everyone down. ... If you can say how this helps anything here, please present it but it would be better for you guys just to shut it."

"The leadership in this county needs to take a long look at what the people want and need and put that over what they think serves us best. I have lived in this county 23 years and the county I love is crumbling before my eyes. Our schools have declined, getting worsening scores yearly. Our roads are cracked and full of potholes, not to mention every line is faded to the point they have almost lost visibility. Our kids have nothing better to do than get in trouble and hang around with the wrong crowds when all they need are activities to do that truly interest them and a better education. The leadership in this county can't and never will have the ability to relate to what the people in this county need. Every single member of our local government has had easy rides. None of them have lived paycheck to paycheck. A sign to welcome people to West Avenue. Why? The road is faded, the buildings are run down or out of business. How about we fix the roads and bring business back to West Avenue so that the people coming can actually be happy to be here. The leadership must change and if they don't, we the people have to do our job and kick them out. We need the leadership we deserve. We pay their salaries, they work for us and they need to start acting like it. It is our job to serve our county by ensuring the best leadership is in place. Let's do our job."

"I have noticed a big difference between Democrats and Republicans who find themselves in trouble. It seems like Republicans have more class and put the greater good over their own personal ambitions. They usually just step down when they have been caught doing wrong. Democrats fight to the end, lie, spin, and bring the system to a screeching halt no matter if they were right or wrong. The greater good is of no concern to them. Of course this is just my impression further proven by Bill Clinton, APS teachers and superintendent, Clayton school board, DeKalb school board, and some of our local Democrats. It must be a deeply ingrained value and it is killing the country. You should admit when you are wrong and accept the consequences. It is better for everyone in the long term."

"Quit calling Social Security a 'federal benefit.' A federal benefit is something the government takes from those of us who worked for it to give to others who have done nothing to earn it. The federal government has not contributed one penny to Social Security. Employees and their employers are the only ones who put money in! Congress (with the help of all recent presidents -- Republican and Democrat) have taken the money we invested while working so we would have a retirement income. Instead they took our money to spend for their own projects and gave us an IOU. The IOU won't buy my food! If I had invested the money I have given to the government for Social Security and received a minimum return, I would get twice what I currently receive, and it would last at least 30 years. Now I'll get half of what I should be getting, and if something isn't done soon I won't get anything. Obama promised that if Congress would pass his tax increase he would cut spending. He got his tax increase, but now won't honor his promise to cut spending. He wants more tax increases! It's up to him to stop the sequester -- all he has to do is honor is promise! He doesn't deserve any more of our hard-earned money until he shows he can be responsible with what he already gets, pay back the IOU to Social Security, and leave our retirement accounts alone!"

"I'm not the ripest pear on the tree so I don't understand all of the hype about texting while driving, each TV station is giving out apps to use to stay in constant contact with driving conditions while driving."----

"I guess if you walk to your mailbox to get your check each month you don't need to worry about how much gas costs! Go ahead, hit the snooze button, you're dreaming! Wake up."

"If folks could read my mind, I'd get punched in the face ... a lot!"

"During the last few weeks there was a crew (I'm assuming from Rockdale County) doing some road repair in a street near Shoal Creek Elementary. So they finished doing their work and then paved the whole street where they had been digging. Literally 10 feet from where they finished the paving out onto Flat Shoals Road there was a pothole about 2 feet across. Did they take a shovel of paving material over there and fill it? No! Maybe that wasn't on their work order. Can you tell me that was beyond the scope of their duties to fill a pothole that was right there in front of them? Sad, very sad. And they also left their lunch trash on the ground where they were parked."

"So you worry about a shade tree mechanic in your neighborhood. Well, maybe we could swap. In our little subdivision, off Klondike Road, we have a new big open-front metal barn, (which is another story), a dump truck parking lot and a tractor-trailer rig that is parked in a driveway on the weekends ... at the front entrance no less! Top that off and we have a foreclosed house, being gutted and remodeled for nearly a year now with all the gutted stuff and building material scattered all over the yard. Thing is ... it's a corner lot! What a good view! Pity the neighbors that have their property up for sale! Maybe we should go ahead and post a 'Zone Law Free' sign up at the entrance!"

"My girlfriend said to try and see things from a woman's point of view. So, I looked out the kitchen window."

"Just in case anyone of you think that those shoes that look like gloves are cool looking, they aren't. They look dumb. Sorry. I know you want to be cool, but they really aren't. Take them off and put them next to your played out Birkenstock, Dock Martins and Members Only jacket."----

"Hey, big heads in charge. The Falcons are looking for a new home. There's a lot of room at GIHP for a nice stadium. Even plenty of parking. Image the money it could bring in? We already took the chili cook-off from Stone Mountain."

Comments

MsKito 1 year, 8 months ago

"So, I looked out the kitchen window." <----- Since you're there, you may as well do the dishes, ya lazy bum.

Why was that comment even printed?

AJK 1 year, 8 months ago

Comic releif....perhaps? Lord knows we need some.

What's next? I bet the Citizen wouldn't print a racist joke, so why print a sexist joke?

MsKito 1 year, 8 months ago

"Can you tell me that was beyond the scope of their duties to fill a pothole that was right there in front of them?" That's called 'independent thinking' and 'common sense' -- two things that are verboten in the government sector.

Southside 1 year, 8 months ago

If it was the county, they should have filled it. If it was a private contractor, they aren't going to do anything that isn't in their contract. Whoever the county had inspecting the job should have made arrangements to have it done, but like you said "common sense"

superman 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not sure who said "Quit calling Social Security a 'federal benefit." but you're right. There are a number of programs that send money to citizens that are NOT a hand out. Social Security is the biggest one of them, this is like a really messed up 401k (or any other retirement account). We, as tax payers, contribute to Social Security each pay period with the HOPES of later withdrawing that money in retirement. It was our money to begin with, and it will be returned to us. We're letting Uncle Sam determine how much we pay into the system and how much we receive once we're done working (according to their schedule). I'm early in my career and haven't paid too much (compared to someone retiring) into the system. A major flaw with the system has been revealed with the baby boomers- they funded the SS accounts for 30-40 years and now they're retiring. There are fewer people left to carry the burden of this program. Plus we're borrowing from this account to pay for other things. There just isn't enough money to keep our government going the way they are. We either need to reduce our governments or increase taxes. I'm afraid increasing taxes inst' the answer I'm supporting here...

Don't forget the thousands scamming the "disability" system of SS.

People who payed little, or nothing, into the system receiving full benefits for having a hangnail. Lawyers with TV ads and their own private doctors have streamlined the process.

Like the thousands getting tax "refunds" but payed no taxes, this national scam is pandemic.

But with government officials that are cowards, or just buying votes, nothing will be done. When the funds are depleted, the masses will pitch a tantrum and riot in the streets.

The "home of the brave" has become a land of observers, watching it all crumble before their eyes.

superman 1 year, 8 months ago

But what are we to do? Despite what people say our president was elected by people that are proud to have a black president. This includes whites, blacks, Latino's, etc... They no more care about our government than what I had for dinner last night. And I think it's very obvious that our current local board and all of the other elected officials are in office ONLY because people voted for Obama.

Folks refuse to look at history. We're not the first country to try implementing policies like what Obama is doing. Gun control for example- they're trying to take our guns away. Sure, just the assault rifles now but tomorrow they'll take hand guns. Something tells me no criminal will give up their gun. And that something is "history", "logic", and "common sense". None of which are used today.

AJK 1 year, 8 months ago

What's an assualt rifle?

VPublicola 1 year, 8 months ago

Is the weapon inherent to every born male also an assualt weapon? Are our hands an assualt weapon? Are our larynx, mouth and tongue an assualt weapon? Is a child's wooden blocks an assualt weapon? Are our writing utensils assualt weapons?

shawty 1 year, 8 months ago

some folks who deserve disability, and worked hard for 40 years, cant get it, but "others" who NEVER worked can get it easily

roots 1 year, 8 months ago

Recognizing and calling out a problem is the first step to understanding the issue. We are on the path to becoming a community alike a "Little Detroit". If the people of this county (regardless of color, creed or origin) don't recognize and accept that our current Government and Department Heads are ineffective in their abilities to "Problem Solve" and "Think Outside the Box".

Group think is not always the best vehicle to use to in route to our future destination. Are we really "Perfectly Positioned" and are we a "Global" resource? I for one, think that something as our current county "Vision Statement" is in itself defective and comprised of words that are being used in a fashion to just "Sound" attractive.

Our "Local Governments" should not be looking to make "Profits" from the citizens, they should provide the services that the people of the county can't provide for themselves. Those are, Security, Water, Roads and a Judiciary for us to settle our differences.

After that said, we are in-route to becoming a "Little Detroit" just east of the ATL.

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 8 months ago

The trashing of local government should not extend to the City of Conyers to the same extent as the County. The City HAS done some stupid things, allowing developments like "Travers Creek" and the wretched cesspool on both sides of East View Road just south of Sigman Road. That said, they are really TRYING to avoid "Lithoniaization"--the CPD does a great job, as does Planning and Development and most any other City department. You can tell a distinct difference in street and sign maintenance on a city street versus a county road--the CIty has leaders who care about its citizens and the future; it's just unfortunately located in Rockdale County.

shawty 1 year, 8 months ago

I reside in west Newton off Kirkland Rd. It already IS a yankee/cajun ghetto!!!!! Thanks Oprah.

LoveIt 1 year, 8 months ago

For the folks in the subdivision off Klondike, has one of you called County Code Enforcement? 770-278-7103 Don't just whine and complain in this public forum. Take appropriate action. There are County code regulations against all the complaints you have. Call and tell them the address and what is going on there. They do NOT tell who called, and they work very hard to make sure the rights of us all are protected by the Code. When you live on a small lot close to your neighbors, what you do can have a negative impact on your neighbors, their safety, and their property values. You can't throw your trash out in the yard; you can't set up an auto repair shop in your driveway. Nor can you park your big commercial truck in the driveway. Our subdivision counts on these folks to help us and they do so quickly. This column is not the place to fuss until you have worked with Code Enforcement. If the offender does not clean up the offense, the county takes them to court. BUT, do make sure you are following the code too. Code regulations are all listed on the county website. Have fun reading. And if you are one of those folks who thinks you should be able to do whatever you like on your property and to heck with your neighbors? That is what those 20+ acre places out in the country are for. Not our little neighborhoods.

youngpatriot 1 year, 8 months ago

The leadership in this county is on the wrong track! The useless things they use our Tax Dollars for is absurd. I was riding down the road and couldn't even see the lines that divide the lanes. The leadership in this county needs to turn. We need leaders who know what we, we the people, feel. In 2014, lets get some leadership who knows what its like to work 40+ hours a week. To live penny to penny. Someone who knows what the people want and need. I, as well as many others, am tired of our elected officials doing what is in their best interest. Next election we must elect people that actually represent us, the people. In 2014, I will be running for the Board Of Commissioners. If you want leadership that cares about the people, our children, and our futures or if you want better more jobs, better jobs with better wages or if you want the priorities of our county taken care of over the politically driven than I hope to receive your vote in 2014.

VOTE Thomas Chastain for Board Of Commissioners 2014

far be it for me to be the grammar police but if you cant run a campaign any better than you can write here you will not get my vote. Besides, Van Ness has been the only commissioner to even try to have the best interest of the county at heart. You got to come up with something better than that.

Southside 1 year, 8 months ago

The two cOmmissioners that were just elected wouldn't do too well with the gramar police, either, so he probalbly has a pretty good chance.

roots 1 year, 8 months ago

If something does not change my intent, I will be looking to take that seat on the BOC. And after that the Chairman's seat will be in my sights. Then "We the People" will be represented by a common sense, root cause problem solver. Real need not perceived need will motivate me to seek "Out of the Box" solutions to the operations of our County Government.

heresyafacts 1 year, 8 months ago

You can represent common sense, but you will be outvoted by the two who don't.

shawty 1 year, 8 months ago

"better more jobs"? really? go back to school first you idiot

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm sorry Mr. Chastain, but I seriously doubt you could do a better job than the current holder of that seat. Your italiciized pontification above implies that she does not care "...about the people, our children, and our futures...", which couldn't possibly be further from the truth.

No sale here. You're going to have to do better than that to get my vote.