0

Fire destroys garage, nine vehicles

A garage and nine vehicles were destroyed by fire Tuesday morning after gasoline vapors were ignited by a heat source. Rockdale Fire and Rescue was called to the garage on Oglesby Bridge Road at about 8:35 a.m. -- Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

A garage and nine vehicles were destroyed by fire Tuesday morning after gasoline vapors were ignited by a heat source. Rockdale Fire and Rescue was called to the garage on Oglesby Bridge Road at about 8:35 a.m. -- Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

CONYERS -- Gasoline flowing from a tear in a vehicle's gas tank ignited at a garage Tuesday morning, causing a blaze that destroyed the garage and nine vehicles.

John Young, who works out of a garage behind his house in the 500 block of Oglesby Bridge Road, said he was working on a van when he remembered he hadn't checked the tire pressure. When he attempted to put the van back on the lift, he apparently hit something that caused a 3- to 4-inch gash in the gas tank, Young said.

Young said he put a drain pan under the flowing gasoline, but it ignited and the garage was destroyed.

According to Rockdale Fire and Rescue, firefighters were called to the garage at about 8:35 a.m. Sharon Webb, public information officer, said firefighters determined that the gas ignited after vapors came into contact with a heat source.

Webb said the garage and the vehicles were a total loss. There were no injuries reported in connection with the incident.

Staff photographer Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith contributed to this report.

Comments

maryinga 1 year, 8 months ago

Opps....Hello insurance company....I have something to tell you...... That's really bad tho...glad no one was hurt.

0

loginsforpapersuck 1 year, 8 months ago

@Frizzlefry and @maryinga - you are both tacky. This is a terrible situation not only for the owner of the shop, but for all the people that lost their vehicles. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

0

Frizzlefry 1 year, 8 months ago

I've been ashamed of myself LONG before that last remark. :(

0

Sign in to comment