County celebrates first grant-funded renovation

Eula Mae Smith stands on the porch of her newly-rehabilitated home in Milstead. The work, which was funded through a grant administered by the state Department of Community Affairs, included replacement of the wiring and roof, as well as new kitchen cabinets and carpeting. -- Staff Photo: Sue Ann Kuhn-Smith

CONYERS -- Rockdale County officials are preparing to celebrate the first successful renovation of a resident's home under the Community Home Investment Program.

Homeowner Eula Mae Smith is the first resident to have her home in the Milstead community renovated under The Homeowner Rehabilitation Project, which is funded through a grant administered by the state Department of Community Affairs. Smith has lived in the house most of her life, and two of her children were born there.

Alice Cintron, grants administrator for the county, said about $63,000 was spent rehabilitating Smith's home, from replacing the roof and wiring, to installing new kitchen cabinets and carpeting. In addition, the house was updated to be handicapped-accessible.

Cintron said the county applied for the grant funds in 2011 and was awarded, in part, because Rockdale had not received this kind of funding in the past.

The process of identifying those who would receive the funding was intensive, she said, including title searches on properties.

"It had to be owner-occupied with no liens on the property and they had to meet certain income guidelines," she said.

Cintron said the renovation work was started in December. The county plans a ribbon-cutting ceremony in the near future as a way of welcoming Smith into her renovated home.

The Homeowner Rehabilitation Project provides funding to repair or replace items such as a home's roof, furnace, plumbing and/or electrical and septic system. Cintron said the county is about to start work on two more homes in need of rehabilitation.

For more information about the program, contact Cintron at 770-278-7551 or alice.cintron@rockdalecounty.org.

Comments

heresyafacts 1 year, 7 months ago

I find no reason whatsoever to celebrate spending $63k in taxpayer money to renovate someone's home.

The current county administration has never failed to celebrate putting the screws to the taxpayer...why start now?

heresyafacts 1 year, 7 months ago

JayPee 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm surprised that the Republican controlled State of GA allowed this type of spending.

Sunny12 1 year, 7 months ago

When grant was approved, max per house was $22,900 and $63,000 was spent on one house? That should have been 3 houses!!!!!

Rob 1 year, 7 months ago

Completely absurd! Our pathetic government is recalling warships from the Persian Gulf due to lack of funding, yet were refurbishing homes for the entitlement crowd. This is just sick! Some people just simply have no shame.

Reese 1 year, 7 months ago

I work, but still can't afford to remodel my home which definitely needs new wiring and a host of other updates. I pay out the wazoo for health insurance, but can't afford the root canal I need unless I get a second job, which I am looking for now. Then, I read articles like this, and just shake my head. It never stops around here, yet the politicians want to continue this trend of federally funded housing, free breakfast and lunch for school children whose parents eat better than I (I have stood in back of many in the cashier line with their EBT debit card who are loaded up with chicken, steak and pork chops while I stand in line with a head of lettuce and tomato). I could go on and on but must go take my blood pressure medicine. This sucks. I wish this unbalanced spending would stop. Everything the government runs is a failure. Everything.

Reese 1 year, 7 months ago

"they had to meet certain income guidelines," .....like not working or hardly working.

VPublicola 1 year, 7 months ago

As taxpayers, maybe we should consider placing a lien on the home to recieve our $63K back when the home is sold!

MsKito 1 year, 7 months ago

If this is the same house I looked up in Rockdale property records, it's 2012 value was assessed at $24,400. So, no recouping there!