Rockdale Citizen Poll for March 10, 2013

The Citizen Poll is a weekly compilation of reader comments on subjects of local interest. The Citizen publishes as many comments as space allows. Comments, which may be edited for space or content, are published anonymously on Sunday. To submit a comment, call 770-483-7108, ext. 402, email: poll@rockdalecitizen.com or complete the online form.

"Obama keeps blaming the Republicans. Why? They gave him the tax increase he wanted in exchange for his promise to cut spending, so why does Obama refuse to live up to his promise. Even when he gets what he wants from the Republicans, he wants more. If we are going to make any progress on the budget, Obama is going to have to follow through with the balanced approach he claims to want. All I see from him is more and more taxes, with little or no budget reduction. The loopholes do need to be closed, but this issue can be addressed in the future. He has already increased the taxes, the loopholes can wait until next year. The sequestration problem could be solved if Obama would just agree to wait one year to close the loopholes. The Republicans have already said they are willing to close the loopholes, but not right after a large tax increase. The sequestration is being caused by Obama's refusal to live up to his promises, not the Republicans. By the way, I am not a "rich" person who is getting any benefits from the loopholes. I am a retired teacher who is afraid of losing Social Security completely when the US goes bankrupt because of Obama's spend, spend, and spend even more policies."

"I mostly like my job as a high school teacher. As a former construction worker, the physical demands of teaching are nil, we have good vacations and the kids are fun to work with. But all of these women in charge panic too quickly. They are very caring but if there is an emergency or any disruption, they do not know how to stay calm. It causes fear in the teachers when leadership doesn't stay calm. And this new superintendent seems to lead by fear. It's a bad combination with all of these females in charge. Things go south in a hurry based on emotions."

"So Jake Gyllenhaal has a requirement that no one be within 100 foot radius of him. So due to this rule the staff put the fans way the heck away from the shooting to respect this rule. They won't tell this to your face and just lie saying 'Oh you'll be in the shot.' I was actually a very well behaved fan and was there to just witness the movie. I had no interest in yelling or running after the stars. I can't do that anyway because I'm too sick from a rare disease to do that! I wasn't even there to see Jake anyway! Jake Gyllenhaal you obviously have a lot to learn. 1. It's the fans that pay your salary. We can turn on you quickly. 2. You act like you are an elite actor, you're not. You weren't even in the leading role. No one knows movies you have been in except 'Brokeback Mountain' and that wasn't a leading role either. 3. It is not wise to upset those that have debilitating diseases that can kill someone quicker than your career. I hate to have a flare up and the last thing I remember about you is how much of a jerk you are. Luckily you aren't worth my thoughts. If I survive long enough I expect to see you on some low list reality show where you beg to be important. I only support actors that show love and support to the people that pay to see their movies."

"Is it just me or do you have to ask yourself was the City Council asleep at the wheel when they okayed Elite A to open business on Hwy. 138 near Golden Corral. I just Googled it after reading the sign and what they are going to sell and the one in Douglasville is listed under adult entertainment. Is that what we want in our town? Why not just bring in the strip clubs now. It's a sad day in Conyers from what I thought I was buying into 30 years ago."

"I was fortunate to attend the event at RCA last Sat. night. The Culinary Arts teacher and students catered the affair and I must say that they did an outstanding job. The food was delicious and was presented beautifully and professionally. Kudos to Cathy Harris and the RCA Culinary Arts program!"

"I don't like to be negative, so here's something positive. I'm positive it's going to get worse!"

"Is it any coincidence that the cars I see failing to yield at yield signs also tend to be sporting crushed in rear panels or busted taillights? Yeah, I know, you're in a hurry and you're a great deal more important than me and that second you saved in not yielding will get you to the McD's drive-thru line faster. But you could save yourselves the headache of police reports and higher insurance premiums -- not to mention the overall look and condition of your ride -- if you would actually adhere to traffic rules and have a little consideration for other drivers."

"Why is it that the Conyers Horse Park leaves the lights on every night? There are around 200 street lights that are not necessary! We can't pay teachers but we can keep lights burning when there is no activity going on! I just don't understand."----

"Clark asked me to see things from his point of view so I did not go to Lithonia and look at what MARTA has done over there. I just pretended that the only thing that would happen if MARTA came here would be gas savings for me. In other words, I ignored reality."

"The new cross walk, warning signs and lights on Ebenezer Road at Johnson Park, installed at a cost of thousands, could have been easily and economically replaced by a simple "LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING" sign. The new left turn signal and lane onto Johnson Road makes as much fiscal sense as buying more rocks to decorate the Interstate. Hard to convince anyone of a lack of funds when we see such squandering of taxpayer dollars. Great work politicians!"

"As a U.S. Citizen and 80% disabled Marine, I hereby forward an article to all U.S. Citizens and especially you VETERANS: Changing Benefits Formula could hit Veterans Hard ... A proposed formula to calculate cost-of-living adjustments for Social Security and other federal benefits-called the "Chained CPI" (C-CPI)- would save money for the government, some budget experts say. But it would also take a disproportionate toll on one group -- disabled Veterans. It was calculated that a 30 year old veteran of the Iraq or Afghanistan war who has no children and is 100 percent disabled would likely lose about $100,000 in disability compensation by age 75 (calculated in today's dollars), compared with benefits under the current cost-of-living formula. Over a 10-year period, 23 million veterans would lose $17 billion in compensation and pension benefits, according to the calculations. The CPI would also reduce benefits for current and future retirees, costing the average 65 year old nonveteran retiree about $3,900 in Social Security benefits by age 75. The Congressional Budget Office says the C-CPI would rise about 0.3 percentage points less each year than the current consumer price index measure. ... Tell Washington to leave Social Security and Veterans Benefits out of any budget deal.... Call 866-584-3909 toll-free to let them know where you stand. ..."

"To the driver of the mocha Chevy Tahoe with Rockdale plates who was going 60-plus mph down Parker Road in the right-hand lane: You knew you were going to turn left at Flat Shoals -- was it worth endangering others just so you could get two car spaces ahead and get to the red light first? There's a word for your kind, but this paper won't print it."

"While we're watching the budget debacle in Congress, and while those of us who work watch our taxes go up and our insurance premiums skyrocket and the cost of living skyrocket and our salaries diminish (because few of us who actually WORK are getting anything approaching a raise or COL increase), I'd like to remind everyone of the dingbats who were re-elected by the entitlement recipients in our area particularly the inarticulate and low-functioning Hank Johnson. Let us all recall the following which occurred at one of his rare personal events at the senior center here in Rockdale back in 2011: '"When a suggestion in the audience was given to start by looking at cuts in politicians' salaries and benefits to help balance the budget, Johnson said he needed the $174,000 he's paid to 'make ends meet...Don't get me wrong. I make good money ... but it's not big money.' So he tells an audience in an area where the median income is around $30-40k, that his taxpayer funded $174k is 'not big money.' Is it any wonder that this country is in a financial tailspin, with great minds like that in Congress?"

"I can't understand why this paper allows some of the most hateful comments to be published on the web page lately. Some are so hate filled it makes me wonder what kind of society Conyers/Rockdale County have become. Why not block such anger/hate filled comments? They serve no purpose but to add fuel to the fire. I understand free speech but there is a fine line between free speech and hate speech disguised behind an anonymous user name."

Comments

A: I never asked anyone to see things from my point of view. B: Lithonia doesn't have MARTA rail service. C: Lithonia's problems weren't even caused by MARTA. D: The only people ignoring reality are those of you who look at MARTA and see nothing but a criminal who you somehow think is going to hide your flatscreen tv under their hoodie on the train.

Southside 1 year, 5 months ago

It doesn't take much to fly your rocket, does it?

I defend my views without getting [too far] into hyperbole and personal attacks unlike many others on here. Not saying you are one of those many though, your comments are generally rational arguments with the occasional snarky jab.

Southside 1 year, 5 months ago

Thank you for noticing. I've spent most of the last 8 decades being a snark

Regarding the "comments" in this forum:

Your comment was just another arrogant attemp by a liberal to stifle the opposition. With the modern lamestream media and the government trying to monopolize the podium, allowing only the leftist view to be publicized, it is refreshing once in a while to find a forum for the remainder of the Americans to have a opportunity to speak up.

Yes, it IS A matter of FREE speech that you leftists try to label as "hate speech". Usually liberals try to silence dissenting views by attaching the label to and comment that does not fit their progressive agenda.

Attempts to silence Americans by whining or blabbering filibuster is much more a crime than things that have been said on this forum. It is NOT "hate speech to have an opinion, whether it is about entitlement wonks, the government, the president, or spinach...it's FREE speech...a concept allowed by the first amendment.

You are entirely free to join the fray and offer your opinions as well, but if you can't take the heat, or win the debate, then running to mommy to shut up the opposing views is petulant and immature.

Shutting down, or censorship of the forum, will no shut down the opposing views.

nonpartisan 1 year, 5 months ago

For the record I am neither a leftist nor a liberal. I don't believe in censorship and support free speech 100%. BUT. What really got under my skin were some comments regarding the senseless murders of 2 people in our county. People were, without saying it outright, glad that 2 people died. Doesn't matter how/why they died, saying good, or win/win is crossing the line. When the 4 children that died in the fire a few months ago, there was a vile comment that was published about that, too. It's difficult for me to wrap my pea size brain around comments posted make when someone has lost a love one. You can talk about the government, spending, board of education all day and I don't care but disrespectful comments about deaths, in my mind, cross the line.

Regarding Obama blaming the republicans: most of his rhetoric is for one purpose, to try and win back both houses of congress in 2014. If that happens with this lame duck president, America is doomed. The socialist bent he seems to aspire to will use that advantage to become president...for life. I predict that he will not step down, and free elections will be a thing of the past.

Regarding this so-called "sequester", it was Obama's idea as he offered it to get his tax hike during the "fiscal cliff" negotiations, the he crawfished on the deal. Nothing unusual, for him.

If America goes down, then the Constitution and ALL of its rights and protections go the way of Cuba or Venezuela. That includes civil rights, as well. He will be all-powerful and will no longer need minorities and special interest groups to stay in power.

His first two years of full power gave us obamacare, the biggest tax-increase in history. Only losing the House in 2010 stopped his abuse of power...somewhat.

If he takes both houses in 2014, then look up...those UFOs you will see are called "drones".

Obama inherited the economic mess and the Republicans have stonewalled him since. Don't forget, it was a Republican controlled administration that gave us a "homeland security" in the first place and began most of the rights violations you see. Obama is no great hero, but he's not the villain you all claim him to be either. Every president is like this, some dislike them, some love them, but none have ever been an extreme. I find it hilarious that the Republicans vilify Obama for a few economic fixes they don't like, while rushing to the defense of a man who put two wars on a credit card, one of which was completely unnecessary.

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 5 months ago

The "economic mess" was mostly the creation of Carter and later Clinton. Remember the early 90's and all of the squealing about "redlining"? Banks didn't WANT to make bad loans. The government forced them to, leading to the housing crisis and leading to the destruction of our county. It's that simple. Not everybody can or should own a home.

I remember that the 90s experienced explosive economic development including the dot-com boom (and bust, yes, I know) as well as riding out of office on a budget surplus. Carter also enjoyed a smaller deficit than Reagan did, including shrinking the deficit left by [Republican] Ford.

1ayk 1 year, 5 months ago

Clinton's so called surplus never existed, only on paper, look it up!

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 5 months ago

Clark, I'm referring only to the housing crisis created by the Community Reinvestment Act and other subsequent legislation. I had to grudgingly support TARP because the banks and their shareholders had been literally robbed in order to make loans to ne'er-do-wells, by government fiat.

Having been a tax paying adult during the Carter years, I can fully attest to the "misery index" experienced by millions of Americans - and with the exception of the current inhabitant of the White House - the most inept and incompetent president in history. He was a one-termer and rightly so.

Later came Clinton, with his "retroactive" income tax increases and White House scandals, saved only by the republicans pushing him to a balanced budget.

Also, I was a tax paying adult during the Reagan years, and watched the economy bounce back with gusto, and the moral of the American people reach new highs.

The libs like to cherry-pick the stats, usually out of context, to protect their vote-buying "savior" with same old, tired, talking points and history revisions. But those of us who actually waited in gas lines and paid 18% on car and home loans, know the truth.

Clarkie is a rabble-rouser, an agitator, and a card-carrying member of the "blame Bush ( or whomever)" crowd and really not worth the effort.

1ayk 1 year, 5 months ago

I grow tired of this answer. He inherited the economic situation. Let's not forget that House and Senate approved the war actions. Also, The Democrats held the House and Senate Bush's last two years and Obama's first two. He is a snake oil salesman and you and your ilk fall for it. He has divided this nation rich against poor, race against race. Do you really think his economic plan holds water? Tax on the rich. that's it in a nut shell. He is determined to bring this country down due to his influence of socialist during his upbringing. You deny it when he even admits it himself. God save the United States of America.

Wow, two whole years against an administration from the previous 6. Additionally, the Democrats only held the House by 54% (not enough for a veto-proof majority, nor cloture) and the Senate...was a tie. Ok fine, let's go back to the era of the Republican hero Ronald Reagan then...oh wait, that would mean an increase in taxes on the rich, as high as 50%. Throughout the majority of Reagan's term, he had a Republican senate and Democratic House. Why not look at the era of the greatest economic develpment in this country, the [Republican] Eisenhower years where the top tax bracket was over 90%. Compare that to today's paltry 38%. Or ask why is it right that Romney and Warren Buffett and others pay more taxes than their employees?

OH! I meant to say "...and others pay LESS taxes than their employees?"

1ayk 1 year, 5 months ago

Same old talking points. Tax codes have changed over the years and hopefully will again in favor of the citizen, not the government. You bring up Republican Icons and defend this so called leader of the free world. Recall that in those days, people, including the so called rich, had many deductions they could claim i.e. interest on credit cards etc.You attempt to divert that this president is what he is by saying what he is doing is trying to correct the past. When in fact he is deterimined, and maybe with you and your ilk the demise of the Uninted States as we know it. Thank God he will be gone in 2016 and I hope the country will still be able to be saved. Buffett and Romey pay taxes on investing, not paychecks. That money has already been taxed. How many times more do you want it to be taxed? I bet our leader uses the same deductions where he can. Take all of the rich's money. Will it help with the spending this sailor wants to spend? Does it help you personally or are you just wanting revenge? He cannot, but now has to face the fact that talk is cheap and actions mean something. I hope you and he wll learn this. Get the chip off your shoulder and become a citizen of the greatest country in the world! If you were serious of saving the nation we would not have this person in charge and the local morons now in charge of this county.

AJK 1 year, 5 months ago

Because the majority of Romney and Buffet's income is capitol gains. Capitol gains are taxed at a lower rate than income taxes. Their employees pay income taxes.

In the early days of their businesses, I wonder how often Romney and Buffet went without an income because the company was struggling to make payroll for the employees?

Call it what you want, I call it a benefit for taking all the risk to start a company.....a company that provides jobs (and income) to those employees.

robug1951 1 year, 5 months ago

Regarding the Elite A. I have no use for it and dont go to that type of business. However the owner has a right to the business as long as long as the city and county rules are followed. If one has a problem with this type of businees, go to your county and city authorities to see about preventing it from happening.again. I remember the doom and gloom from people and our local Sandford and Sons business on Green street protesting it. It opened, it's still there, and no problems leagly that I know of. Taxes are paid and a lot cleaner on the outside than other businees that i know of.

trOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 1 year, 5 months ago

who ever made the last comment, i welcome you to the internet!

TrueLife 1 year, 5 months ago

I laugh at some of the comments that come from the usual doom and gloomers. How can one stay online all day, everyday, and troll for the topics to spew negativity or some repub narrative? Get out and enjoy life and your neighbors. Smile, it cost nothing:-)

MsKito 1 year, 5 months ago

"it cost nothing"

Subject-verb agreement, it matter.

It's a very good probability that very few people care what makes you "laugh"...the asylums are full of people who sit around all day laughing like hyenas, what makes you any different?

At any rate, your feeble attempt at Alinskyism won't change a thing. Observing the world from your bubble won't shut anyone up when they have something to say, so get used to it, or find another hobby.