Conyers Police arrest man in Ga. Highway 138 road rage incident

CONYERS -- The Conyers Police Department has arrested an Oxford man in connection with a road rage incident on March 4.

Thomas John Jentzen, 50, of 75 West Forest Way, Oxford, faces charges of reckless driving, hit and run and aggressive driving in connection with the incident which began on Ga. Highway 138 near Flat Shoals Road.

A 37-year-old McDonough man reported to the CPD that the driver of Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck "blew his horn and threw his arms up in the air," the CPD incident report states. "(The victim) advised that the driver of the S-10 'gave him the bird' ... (and) advised as they proceeded through the intersection the S10 began 'brake checking' him. (The victim) stated that he passed the S-10 and the S-10 began to follow him. (The victim) advised that he tried to get away from the S-10 ... and the S-10 was 'tailgating' him."

It was at this point that the victim called 911 and the operator advised him to pull into Peoples Bank, but when he did the driver of the S-10 followed him into the parking lot, according to the incident report.

"(The victim) advised that he circled the parking lot and the S-10 passed him and violently braked. (The victim) stated that the S-10 was to the left of his vehicle in front of him. (The victim) explained that he attempted to pass the vehicle on the right to avoid conflict ... (but) he advised that the S-10 went into reverse, spun the tires and rapidly approached and struck his vehicle," the incident report states.

The victim told officers when they arrived at the Peoples Bank parking lot that the S-10 rapidly left the area and turned right onto Ga. Highway 138. He was able to furnish a description and tag number of the truck and a witness confirmed the victim's account of what happened in the parking lot, calling the driver of the S-10 "crazy nutso."

A short time later, an officer located the S-10 truck in the parking lot of Lowe's, but despite paging him and an extensive search of the store, officers could not locate Jentzen. His truck was towed as evidence of a crime.

Later that afternoon, Jentzen contacted Conyers Police and said "the other driver began 'flicking' him off ... and that he was scared and wanted to speak to the other driver to find out what was going on. (The suspect) said he pulled into Peoples Bank and the other driver struck him from behind," the incident report states.

When the suspect was told that bank video surveillance footage and a witness statement revealed that he backed into the driver, Jentzen stated he didn't recall that.

He advised the officer he would come to the CPD on March 5 and speak with them about the issue. When he arrived, he continued to deny that he was the aggressor, but CPD officers advised him warrants were being taken against him and he should turn himself in on Friday, March 8. He was arrested at that time.

Comments

Spydee 1 year, 1 month ago

It's not "FLICKING" It's FLIPPING

Christopher 1 year, 1 month ago

He is lucky it wasn't me. I would have shot him.

insanidee 1 year, 1 month ago

Dude. C'mon now. I love the Second Amendment. Unfortunately, there are (hyper-paranoid, ignorant, anti-gun) idiots that are trying to take away our rights to carry b/c punks like you shoot off your mouth (worse, put it in writing by commenting) with crap like that and give them more 'ammunition' to use against us in this fight for freedom.

It doesn't sound like the victim's life was being threatened or in danger. In that case, lethal force is obviously justified. If it had been you, and you had shot him, you would have been in the wrong. You can't just shoot people that are aggressive jerks. If so, someone probably would have already shot YOU by now.

Wanna keep your gun? Be prudent with it's purpose. And shut up b/c what you say affects my rights too.

will 1 year, 1 month ago

insanidee, I understand what your saying about some loudmouth saying he would have shot him,it make one sound just like the out of control lunatic that freaked out on this guy. People do hurt the cause by threatening to shoot somebody, the gun conrol freaks will use that against the Second Amendment people. I will say this guy was being threatening and very aggresive toward the victim by backing into his car and if I had my gun on me, which I always do, I think I would have been forced to pull it out. If the lunatic did not stop at that point I would fear for my life and the rest would be up to him. People that have anger issues are very dangerous and can go off the deepend very easily. If your going to go balistic because somebody flips you off maybe you have anger issues that need to be delt with. How do you think this road rage maniac treats his wife and kids?

Christopher 1 year, 1 month ago

I may be a punk but your an idiot. When someone is repeatedly backing into your car I would take that as my life being in danger. Especially after I tried to drive away and he followed me into a parking lot. If you don't see that as being in immediate threat of receiving bodily harm you defiantly do not need to carry a gun.

Stacie 1 year ago

...says the man who can't use the proper form of "you're" as well spell the word definitely correctly.

Christopher 1 year, 1 month ago

Not sure why you are worried about your Second Amendment rights anyways, sounds like your an Obama supporter by your ignorant response.

insanidee 1 year, 1 month ago

Absolutely NOT. I despise him and think he should be impeached and...well...I'm too cautious to say any more about how I feel about him on here. If "Obama supporter" is what you took from my comment, then I'm not the idiot here, and your hot-headed, illogical, and erroneous comment just proved that point...again.

There is a difference between severe aggressive behavior and imminent danger. The guy in the truck definitely has issues and those type of people can turn on a dime. If it were me, you'd better believe I'd have my hand on my piece, ready to pull it out if he exited his vehicle. But so long as he was inside of his truck, in front of me, and wasn't coming at my vehicle broadside...it's not time yet to take his life. Prepared, trained, and ready to act? Absolutely. It is just as important to know where the legal line is drawn. I take issue with your comment (not your beliefs) because it has the ability to affect my rights. My point is that we supporters - all of us - need to watch what we say on public sites b/c comments like yours are used by the other side during this current political witch-hunt. I don't think you want that any more than I do.

Stacie 1 year ago

Again, "...you're an Obama supporter..."

Frizzlefry 1 year, 1 month ago

I think it's time to pull up a chair folks, this might get good.

Frustrated 1 year, 1 month ago

Where is Zo or TM when you need them?

nonpartisan 1 year, 1 month ago

Out of sheer curiosity, I wish I knew what this clown looks like. I had a less severe incident with a guy in an S-10 a few months back. Thought he would have a heart attack he was so enraged.

BUBBA 1 year, 1 month ago

check the rockdale jail photos he will be there

ClaytonBigsby 1 year, 1 month ago

There's something about drivers of S-10's and Rams. Not all of them, but a higher proportion than normal, it would seem.