The warmer weather of this week instills hope in me. Spring is coming and winter's grip of last weekend is lessening.Already, the heleborous is blooming, the crocus and the periwinkle are budding, and very soon the blood root and dandelion will spread forth their leaves.. Yes, spring is coming. May
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Blankenship of Azalea Circle received the landscape plaque for January from the Conyers Garden Club. Hundreds of jonquils are already growing among the carefully-shaped boxwoods. The camellias in the backyard are colorful and knockout roses should bloom in the spring
The diversity of the wildflower kingdom is minor compared to the diversity of humanity. Every individual is unique although he or she dwells within a family, a community or a culture.
Most of the year my garden plot has been covered with chickweed. We have sprayed some with herbicides but not those close to the cool weather crops. Some chickweed we pulled up by hand.When spring comes, I will till the garden but all I will do is fold under the seeds that were on top and bring up from underground the seeds that were tilled under last fall. Soon these pesky plants will sprout, bloom and produce seeds. The cycle in the fight with chickweed continues.
Conyers Garden Club displays Christmas arrangement
Charles Darwin's observations have made a profound impact on modern thought. There are at least two issues his theory of evolution did not address: how, when or where life began and how to explain gravity.
One of the most frequently repeated verses in the Bible was first recorded by King David when the Ark of the Covenant was finally brought to Jerusalem -- his song of praise in 1 Chronicles 16:7-36. In verse 34, we read "O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good; for His mercy endureth for ever."This very phrase is repeated five other times in the Psalms (106:1, 107:1, 118:1 and 29; and 136:1).
Sheep herders were the first mortals to hear the angelic announcement. Once I became old enough to learn what it meant to shepherd sheep, I wondered why they were chosen to first hear the good news. Theirs was a tedious and smelly job. Furthermore, sheep are among the lesser intelligent animals and require constant vigilance.
Conyers Garden Club members from left, Joyce Andrews, Melinda Cowan and Susan Dodd stand at the edge of Dodd's newly installed pond at her home. Certified by the National Wildlife Federation as a provider of a wildlife habitat, Dodd gave a presentation on how to install water features in the
Conyers Garden Club Yard of the Month for October 2011
The first time I was aware of Halloween, the children who visited our house in Omaha, Neb., frightened me. I was so scared that Mom had to hold me. Those big kids had scary faces and were dressed like ghosts, pirates, witches, and vicious animals.. Mom told me about Halloween
The Creator has put the seasons in order, even as He set the moon and stars in the heavens. In Genesis 1:14, the biblical writer noted, "And God said, 'Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be
Tomorrow we celebrate Mother's Day. The godly women in my life, whether my mother, wife, daughters-in-law or the mothers of my students, are a delightful gift to me from God. Their beauty causes many hearts to sing as the psalmist instructs, "Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; speak of all His wonders" (Ps. 105:2).
Thai Palace co-owner Siwarin Motha waters her garden outside the restaurant on Main Street in Olde Town Conyers on Tuesday. Montha has a variety of plants and flowers that stand out in the neighborhood. Montha said patrons are particularly impressed with roses on the side of the building.
Caitlin Saxton, a 10th-grade student, works to weed the Gerbera daisies. Rockdale Career Academy's agricultural program students will hold the school's annual spring plant sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the school, located at 1064 Culpepper Drive, off Parker Road, in Conyers.
- 'Maze Runner' streaks out to No. 1 at box office
- U2 releases new album for free on iTunes
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' dominates weak box office
- Comedian Joan Rivers dies at age 81 | PHOTOS
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, dangerous driving in Canada
- Dragon*Con 2014 expected to draw record crowds
- 'Breaking Bad,' 'Modern Family' earn top Emmy Awards in night of repeats and upsets
- Review: Emmy Awards wisely erred on the side of comedy
- Emmy fashion: Red, White and safe all over
- Billy Crystal pays tribute to Robin Williams at Emmys: 'The brilliance was astounding' | VIDEO
Food and Recipes
- THE RECIPE BOX: Use fresh farmer’s market veggies in simply summery feta cheese salad
- RECIPE BOX: Warm up a cool fall night with chicken casserole
- RECIPE BOX: Transform refried beans into a delicious dip
- RECIPE BOX: Microwave Vidalia onions for a quick side dish
- RECIPE BOX: Pimentos add a nice flavor to mac and cheese
- RECIPE BOX: Veg-All pockets are an easy, delicious dinner
- RECIPE BOX: S'mores trail mix offers a sweat treat for kids, adults
- THE RECIPE BOX: Freedom parfaits add to festive Fourth
- RECIPE BOX: Hawaiian sandwich combines bacon, cheese, pineapple
- THE RECIPE BOX: Caramel brownies are an ooey-gooey treat
Health and Wellness
- Health Reports for Newton, Rockdale counties for June 18, 2013
- Health Reports for Newton, Rockdale counties for April 30, 2013
- Health inspections for Newton and Rockdale counties for June 26
- Newton, Rockdale health reports for March 5-12
- Feb. 28 Health Reports
- Feb. 21 Health Reports
- Feb. 14 Health Reports
- NMC gets grant for car seat safety program
- CDC: Bread beats out chips as biggest salt source
- Rehab South offers free screenings