Top Professional Sports stories
Former UGA great Hines Ward is officially released Wednesday by the Pittsburgh Steelers after an unproductive season.
More Professional Sports
Baseball’s Winter Meetings invariably consist of a lot of talk and little action.
National Football League owners on Wednesday unanimously endorsed what they called a tougher personal conduct policy following a spate of domestic violence cases involving players that harmed the league’s reputation.
Despite losing to the Green Bay Packers when a furious rally came up short Monday night, the Atlanta Falcons still control their own way to the playoffs.
The Atlanta Braves released four new conceptual renderings of the mixed-use development surrounding SunTrust Park.
The Philadelphia 76ers avoided a dubious place in the NBA record books on Wednesday, as they snapped a 17-game losing streak with their first victory of the season in an 85-77 defeat of the Minnesota Timberwolves.
The Atlanta Braves found a replacement for departed right fielder Jason Heyward.
Steven Jackson showed the tires haven’t completely worn down in bulldozing the Cardinals for 101 yards on 18 carries last week.
Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones barely publicly acknowledged that he was ticked off.
The initial cost of the retractable-roof facility, which will replace the Georgia Dome in 2017, was estimated at $1 billion. That was later raised to $1.2 billion.
What a difference a week makes. Most were ready to throw in the towel on the Atlanta Falcons’ 2014 season after a woeful loss to Cleveland as head coach Mike Smith mismanaged the clock down the stretch.
DE Kroy Biermann recorded his second full sack of the season, dragging down Brian Hoyer for a 9-yard loss. Biermann has 2.5 sacks this season and 19 in his career.
While a 7-9 record might carry the day in the NFC South this season, there is no clear path for the Atlanta Falcons to reach that mark after they kicked away a golden opportunity to defeat the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.
Tom Brady, playing on the 14th anniversary of his first NFL snap, handled the top-ranked defense in the NFL and led the New England Patriots to their seventh straight win, a 34-9 rout of the Detroit Lions on Sunday.
Pitchers who won a combined nine Cy Young Awards and position players who earned three batting titles are among 17 new candidates on the 2015 Hall of Fame ballot.
The Atlanta Braves reportedly are receiving plenty of interest from teams about outfielder Justin Upton and are intent on trading him.
Rockdale County Sports
- Salem girls, Gainesville boys win Saturday matinees
- Thompson, Eagles handle Croone’s Paladins
- GSU hangs on against Umass in holiday tourney
- Hawks visit Houston Saturday
- Padres reportedly acquiring Justin Upton, Middlebrooks
- Curry, Warriors squeak past Thunder
- Two dozen make Citizen all-area softball team
- Vandy visits the Flats on Saturday
- Vandy heads to the Flats on Saturday
- Falcons visit New Orleans in key divisional game
- Auburn football player Jakell Mitchell shot and killed; arrest made
- Three Heisman Trophy finalists named
- Bulldogs expect challenge from Louisville in Belk Bowl
- Nebraska names Oregon State’s Riley as coach
- Florida Gators hire Jim McElwain from Colorado State as next football coach
- TCU third, FSU fourth in CFP rankings
- Tigers overcome big odds to get to Atlanta
- Title games nothing new for Tide
- Citadel provided trial run for defending option
- University of Alabama at Birmingham to end football program, citing costs
- Three local grapplers win South Metro Inviational, Rockdale takes third place overall
- Newton edges Eastside to sweep the county rival game
- Rockdale’s Dax Willette and Kimola McCallum earn top spots in 2014 All-Citizen Cross Country Team
- No replay in Oklahoma high school football playoff game, judge rules
- Newton starts Region 2-AAAAAA play with sweep over Alcovy
- Alcovy grapplers retain Newton Cup for third year
- Eastside boys, Alcovy girls get wins to split rivalary game
- Newton shows dominance with sweep over cross-town rival Eastside
- Madison Beazley and Autumn Evans remain Tigers as they head to Andrew College
- Eastside’s Arthur Holmes named Region 4-AAAA Defensive Player of the Year